PDA

View Full Version : Festool sander disappointment

Jay Jolliffe
11-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Or is there something wrong with it. I bought a ETS 125EQ 5" ros a few weeks back. Went to use it yesterday & was greatly disappointed. When I applied any pressure to it, it stopped rotating and just vibrated. I have 2 Dewalt 5" sanders & this doesn't happen. Is it me or the sander. I am not applying a lot of pressure. Is this the way this sander works or is there something wrong with it? :(

Jamie Buxton
11-03-2007, 11:55 AM
It is a random orbit sander, and its motions are similar to other random orbit sanders.

Jim Becker
11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
You shouldn't be applying any real pressure to a ROS, no matter what the brand. The PC sanders I used to use are the same way as my current crop of Festool sanders in this respect. Let the tool do the work...and if you need a sander to hog off a lot of material, then you'll want the Rotex what keeps on spinning when in rotary mode.

Bill Wyko
11-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I would have to agree with jim. I have the same sander and I'd have to say it works great. Festools sand paper is better quality than anything else I've used as well. Sorry you feel this way. You wanna sell it?:D

Jack Gingerich
11-03-2007, 1:41 PM
I have the 150/3EQ, which I think is just the 6" version of yours, and have occasionally used quite a bit of pressure without bogging the sander down.

Jack

Gary Keedwell
11-03-2007, 1:50 PM
I have the 150/3EQ, which I think is just the 6" version of yours, and have occasionally used quite a bit of pressure without bogging the sander down.

Jack
I have to echo what Jack said. I have the 6" 150/3 too, and I just went down to the basement and gave it a good go and it did fine.:rolleyes: :)
Gary

Jay Jolliffe
11-03-2007, 1:58 PM
Thanks for the input....I called where I bought it & they want to see if anything is wrong with it. If there isn't & that's the way it's suppose to work I think I will sell it. I'll let you know Bill. I have the 6" Rotex & that works great.I just wanted something smaller for the finer work. When you tested yours did it stop rotating with pressure ?

Bill Wyko
11-03-2007, 3:38 PM
No, not really. I really would have to lay on it to stop it. I really like their sandpaper too. I'm using mine mostly for fine work. For the big stuff I have a drum sander and other large devices.

Dixon Peer
11-03-2007, 5:10 PM
If you think you want to sell the sander because something's wrong, let me know. I have both the 125 and the 150, and they are terrific machines and when teamed up with my CT33 there's virtually no saw dust in the air of my shop.

Steve Rowe
11-03-2007, 5:27 PM
Thanks for the input....I called where I bought it & they want to see if anything is wrong with it. If there isn't & that's the way it's suppose to work I think I will sell it. I'll let you know Bill. I have the 6" Rotex & that works great.I just wanted something smaller for the finer work. When you tested yours did it stop rotating with pressure ?
Like several others, I have the 150/3 ETS and don't have that problem. If you are still within 30 days of purchase, just return it for a full refund. After all, that is the Festool guarantee.
Steve

Gary Keedwell
11-03-2007, 5:31 PM
Like several others, I have the 150/3 ETS and don't have that problem. If you are still within 30 days of purchase, just return it for a full refund. After all, that is the Festool guarantee.
Steve I agree, I would bring it back.:)
Gary
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/NewEnglandPatriots1.gif Go Pats

Bob Childress
11-03-2007, 6:25 PM
I agree, I would bring it back.:)
Gary
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/NewEnglandPatriots1.gif Go Pats

Actually, Gary, you mean TAKE it back. Grammar Nazi. :p :p Only did that because I am not a NEP fan. :D ;)

Gary Keedwell
11-03-2007, 7:04 PM
Actually, Gary, you mean TAKE it back. Grammar Nazi. :p :p Only did that because I am not a NEP fan. :D ;)
Hey Bob....I thought that you bring it back so they can take it back, no?:rolleyes: :) Go Pats!!!!!

Scott Rollins
11-03-2007, 7:42 PM
I have the ETS 125EQ also. I just checked it out in the shop. I have to really push hard to stop it. I would never sand this way though so I think mine is fine. Yours may be a lemon-take it back. Defects do happen...even to the germans:cool: .
The only problem I ever have is to have the vacuum pressure too high. Then it wil bounce a little bit.

Brian Ross
11-03-2007, 8:49 PM
Have heard of vibration problems with the 5 inch models and when I purchased the Rotex last week the saleman admitted that the 5 inch model vibrates more than it should. Not sure of the model number other than it was the 5 inch model.

Brian

Bill Wyko
11-03-2007, 10:02 PM
You do know it has variable speed don't you? I can stop mine up to about level 3 but after that it'll fight back.

Jay Jolliffe
11-04-2007, 8:30 AM
Thanks again for the input....I bought it on the 10 of Oct so I can take it back I guess if it's not right. I do know it variable speed & it still stops on the highest setting. Maybe like has been said that this might be a lemon. I have other Fesstool & still will get more. The other tools work great so i'm not put off because this one sander. Thanks

Ken Choronzuk
11-04-2007, 9:37 AM
I also have the 5" 125 model, which I purchased a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes when I use it it seems to want to go in a different direction then the one I'm going, no matter what speed its set to. I'm thinking about bringing it back and getting the 5" rotex model although I really do want a small detail sander as well.

-Ken

Bob Childress
11-04-2007, 9:52 AM
I also have the 5" 125 model, which I purchased a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes when I use it it seems to want to go in a different direction then the one I'm going, no matter what speed its set to. I'm thinking about bringing it back and getting the 5" rotex model although I really do want a small detail sander as well.

-Ken

Check your CT "suck setting." That can happen if the suction is set on full.

Ken Choronzuk
11-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Currently I'm not using any dust extraction other than the bag that came with the sander. I went back to Rockler and tried it w/the CT22 hooked up and it had the same feel. My PC never had that feel and I know the festool is a superior piece of equipment. I do plan to buy the CT22 anyway.

-Ken

J.R. Rutter
11-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I have the 150/3 and the 125. The 125 is underpowered for aggressive sanding. But it is a fine finishing sander, after all, so a light touch is more appropriate. I put a super soft pad on mine for use on profiles and save the 150/3 for flat surfaces.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Maybe you should post a pic of your biceps.

I really gotta push down hard on my PC Speed Bloc to slow it down at all.

(or is it triceps?)

Jeff Bond
11-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Ken

I had the 5" rotex sander for a few months and it hopped and sputtered all over the place. I also found it very uncomfortable to hold onto for long periods of time. I finally got fed up with it and sold it. Now I use the 150/3 and it's a terrific sander. I have heard of others who have had problems with the 5" rotex and the 5" orbital. I would go for the 6" rotex, or preferably the 150 series of sander. Good luck.

Ken Choronzuk
11-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Although HUGE!:D , it doesn't seem to matter whether I have a light touch or I press down on the sander.

-Ken

Paul Girouard
11-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Steve

I'll echo what Steve said , I've talked to a Festool rep at our Woodworkers guild meeting he was demo'ing the , at the time , "new" domino tool , he said" Money back, if you don't like any of our tools we want them back! " They'd rather refund your money than have a bad rep about that. I bet you could even push the 30 day part of the deal if your over!

Gary Keedwell
11-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Maybe your expecting more from your 125/3 then what it was designed to be. It is not an aggressive sander. I had a PC ROS for many years and was happy with it. When it sh-- the bed I replaced it with a Mikita because I read a review that it was aggressive and gave a good finish. Well, it was plenty aggressive but left my hands tingling .
I have found the 150/3 very comfortable to use(with my C22) but you have to start with more aggressive sandpaper then similar ROS's. Ya have to remember that ir is a FINISH sander.:)
Gary

Jason White
11-04-2007, 3:52 PM
Go to this site and ask...

www.festoolownersgroup.com (http://www.festoolownersgroup.com)

You'll get some good answers. I bet it's either a defective sander or you're pushing down on it too hard. You could also have the suction turned up too high on the vacuum (if you're using one).

JW

Or is there something wrong with it. I bought a ETS 125EQ 5" ros a few weeks back. Went to use it yesterday & was greatly disappointed. When I applied any pressure to it, it stopped rotating and just vibrated. I have 2 Dewalt 5" sanders & this doesn't happen. Is it me or the sander. I am not applying a lot of pressure. Is this the way this sander works or is there something wrong with it? :(

Roland Chung
11-04-2007, 4:45 PM
If it is your technique - too much pressure, then you may eventually have problems with the hooks on the pad melting and letting go of the discs. I've had this happen on a Bosch ROS and have heard of it happening on other brands.

P.S. I have the 150/3 and love it and it's dust collection with the CT33. It is comfortable to use and takes anything that I have thrown at it - I use a wide variety of grits. I haven't had to buy the bigger Rotex yet.