PDA

View Full Version : Job Satisfaction

Richard Gillespie
02-10-2004, 8:15 AM
I put this thread on the Off Topic Forum instead of the Neanderthal Haven because I'm not really raising any questions.

I have about 36 cast iron planes that I've bought from several sources. Most of them were very rusty when I got them. For some strange reason, it gives me a great deal of satisfaction to restore them back to working order and a much better appearance. I will admit that I've complained about the time required to flatten soles and irons, some are worse than others. Three or four of those I'm still fighting.

There are those that collect these planes and look for those that are in mint condition or of a unique configuration. Thus, they acquire a much higher value. I'm looking for users. I thereby feel, I'm honoring the original intent of the tool, it's use.

I am amazed at the inventiveness and ingenuity of our forefathers. The iron plane can trace its origins back to the Roman Empire or before. The improvements created by Mr. Bailey in the 19th century still, to this day, give great performance. I have several modern planes that show this ingenuity is still alive and working. I am also very thankful for all the information shared on this and other forums. Everyday I learn something new about this craft.

In summation, to take a ball of rust, clean, tune, and restore to working order is a nice way to spend a few hours. To then use it on a working project places a smile on my face every time. My being able to work the wood with hand tools makes me feel I am connected somehow to those men of years ago who had no other way of working.

I hope I haven't bored anyone with this statement.

Todd Burch
02-10-2004, 8:32 AM
Richard, I too have serveral iron planes that I have bought as users from garage and estate sales, and then reconditioned. And as you say, it is awesome to pull it off the shelf later on and gain productivity from it.

I'm with you. Todd

Lee Schierer
02-10-2004, 11:26 AM
I've restored several planes that bleonged to my father, father in law, grand father and even some unknown previous owners. Everytime I use one, I feel closeness to them even though they are now gone. I just hope that the tool in my hands can do justice to their skills.

I keep my eyes peeled at antique sales for such items.

Chris Padilla
02-10-2004, 2:19 PM
I caught the Woodwright's show last weekend and Roy Underhill (I think I have that right) is an interesting guy to watch. He made a finish carpenter's toolbox, of course, exactlly the same way his sample was made back in the 40s.

He used a rabbetting plane, hot glue off the stove, slotted screws, joined the boards with a plane, used a special mortising jig to chisel out the recess for the hinges, etc. It was pretty cool to watch. He also had a big black and blue thumbnail which added the final touch to "the way they used to do it."

I thoroughly enjoyed the show...then went to my Festool sander and drill and made some dust...even if most of it ended up in the vacuum! :)

Dennis Peacock
02-10-2004, 8:42 PM
Richard....

Very well said. Sometimes we appreciate out tools more if we have to work on getting them into shape so they will perform well for us. Working wood by hand is something that even the power company can't take away from us.!!! :)

Thanks for the reminder to "enjoy" woodworking and what time we have to spend doing a craft that we have been blessed in our abilities to do and finally see the results of the fruits of our hands.

Wes Bischel
02-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Richard,
Very eloquently said.

Though I have only resurrected one plane, most of my power tools are someone elses - to be blunt - garbage. I do have to say though after putting a tool back into usable condition I too get a great sense of satisfaction. (I have a few more waiting for rework - just taking up space right now.) Rebuilding this equipment really does make me respect what was accomplished with the technology available at the time - way back when, even more so when we talk about planes!

Wes