PDA

View Full Version : Auction Benefit for Dennis Peacock and Family

Dick Strauss
11-03-2007, 1:51 AM
Well,
It saddens me to hear that Dennis Peacock's family is experiencing some medical issues. I understand that he and his family are having a hard time covering medical expenses (even with issurance). While I've never met Dennis, I'd like to start an auction to benefit Dennis and his family in the spirit of the SawMillCreek. I'll have to work on the details of how to collect the bids and get the proceeds sent directly to Dennis. Maybe someone that has done this in the past can offer some help. I suspect that Zahid Naqvi can help us figure out how to get the money to Dennis. Dennis didn't ask for help but Zahid got the ball rolling when he saw a need. Please check this other thread for more info: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67829

I'd like to start things off by offering two of my favorite early pieces for auction. The winning bidder will also receive a few small interesting blanks (like flaming box elder) to fill the box.

1. The first piece is ambrosia maple with just the slightest bit of spalting shown in one oval ring but not shown in the pics. The piece is about 5.5" in diameter, 3.5" high, and about 3/16" thick. It has some very unique curly figure in the bottom and side (shown in the third pic). It has an antique oil finish with a small foot to make it look like it is floating.

74558 74559 74560

2. The second piece is mulberry with some slight spalting. It has a classic open bowl shape with a slight ogee at the rim. It is 5" dia., 2" high, and slightly less than 1/4" thick. It also has an oil finish with a very small foot once again to make it look like it is floating.

74561 74562.

I will cover the shipping charges and hope that you will be generous to help support this cause even if you don't participate in this auction! I may decide to add other pieces if we have a good reception.

Thanks in advance,
Dick

Dick Strauss
11-03-2007, 5:59 PM
173 views and no one wants to start the bidding! I'm confused...should I post this in the general/classified area since no turners seem to appreciate these pieces?

FYI-I'm setting a closing date of Sun Nov 11th at 12pm EST.

Thanks,
Dick

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2007, 6:52 PM
Dick.........No offense...........I've already ponied up elsewhere.

But I really do like your pieces and really appreciate your generosity!

Mike A. Smith
11-03-2007, 7:00 PM
Just my opinion, but you might have more luck with finished pieces in one of the other forums. But you might get some action on blanks here.

Zahid Naqvi
11-03-2007, 7:44 PM
I'll make a link in the classifieds area, because not everyone visits the turners forum regularly. In the turners forum this is synonymous to selling corn to a farmer.

Paul Saffold
11-03-2007, 8:11 PM
Dick,

Nice looking work. I like the way you have the small base to make them appear to float. I'm not a turner, but enjoy turnings.

I'll bid $ 25.00 and hope it goes way up from there.

Paul

Dick Strauss
11-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Paul,
Thanks for getting the ball rolling! Which one do you prefer (in case you win)?

Ken,
I'm glad you are already on board.

Zahid,
You are doing a great thing by helping! Hopefully I can play a very small role in assisting you. It looks like your spokeshaves in the classifieds area are drawing a few serious bidders.

Mike,
I appreciate your suggestion. If you have been hanging around here for a while you know that we've raised very good money for a children's hospital with turnings bid on by fellow turners. I enjoy seeing and owning the work of other turners. The blanks I mentioned were meant to be a little bonus to say "thanks". Blanks usually cost too much to ship to make it worth while in this situation (IMHO). Maybe I need to rethink my plan...who knows.

Thanks for the feedback,
Dick

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Sorry Dick did not see this until just now. Have already sent a contribution via the off topic forum. Dennis is a good friend and has helped me tremendously with problems. So my prayers are with he and his family. Somebody will be getting some nice pieces. I will be watching.

Doug Thompson
11-04-2007, 2:38 AM
Dick,
If you didn't make this post many people wouldn't have known like me. I did get in on the other thread.

THANK YOU!

Tom Sherman
11-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Paypal has been sent.

Dick Strauss
11-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Bump! Bump! Bump!

Dick Strauss
11-12-2007, 1:20 AM
Thanks to everyone who donated to Dennis and his family. I knew there were some good folks here on this forum!

I'm a little disappointed with the auction action but I hope I helped in some small way. The auction is now closed and we have a winning bidder.

Thanks,
Dick