PDA

View Full Version : Veneer problem - solution needed.

Dave Falkenstein
11-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I was given the job of applying painted veneer to three thin aluminum panels that are used as decorative panels on a high-end refrigerator. The veneer had been sprayed with paint, apparently water-based, and the panels had some waviness to them before I started. I sanded the aluminum backing with 80 grit to give the contact cement a better bond. I used solvent-based contact cement, with two coats on the veneer and one coat on the aluminum backing. I rolled the panels with a J-roller. The end result is not looking good. The waviness that was in the veneer is still there. In addition, there are some bubbles popping up on the veneer. What is the recommended way to deal with this problem, now that the veneer is cemented to the backing? Will heating the panels and re-rolling them do any good? Thanks.

Bert Johansen
11-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Dave, I can't say I've had any experience gluing veneer to a metal sheet, but I have done large veneer panel glue-ups successfully. My suggestion would be to inject a thin epoxy into the bubbles and j-roll them flat. You will hear the air "squeek" or even make little popping noises as the bubble collapses. The tiny hole from the injector might not be significant enough to bother filling, and the rolling will tend to shrink the hole anyway. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Mitchell Andrus
11-03-2007, 9:43 AM
Dave, veneering onto metal is a specialized skill. I've seen dashboards in hot rods fall apart as we watched. Contact cement isn't good in some environments.

Do a google search for companies that refurbish high-end aircraft. I've seen some veneer work at aircraft owners' conventions that would make you weak at the knees. They know how to do it right and may take pity on you. Be warned, the adhesives that they use are not to be found at Home Depot.

You might also inquire at 3M and Dupont sites. There are peel and stick adhesive tapes out there that are made for this application.