PDA

View Full Version : Mandrel

Lynn Blevens
11-02-2007, 8:54 PM
I'm looking for a 1/4in Mandrel that is 12in long any such beast ?Need it to turn a chanter.Lynn

Chris Fierro
11-02-2007, 10:24 PM
My dad wanted some turned mahogany handles for his strip-built kayak. I built 3/8" x 6" mandrels from 3/8" all thread rod. Basically cut the rod long enough for what you need to turn plus the length that fits into a Jacobs chuck, and the length of 4x nuts. Use the nuts to lock against each other--two per side--and appropriate sized washers. I will use the washers as bushings on either end.

One end gets chucked up in the Jacobs chuck. The other end was drilled on center to fit a machinists live center. Hope that helps.

I haven't actually turned the handles yet, but was able to use this mandrel to make some test pieces. It worked well.

Lynn Blevens
11-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks Chris,I'll try that Lynn

Richard Madison
11-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Lynn,
Careful of the rpm. The harmonic frequency of a 1/4" rod that length is pretty low. No doubt the chanter blank will stiffen it considerably.

And just out of idle curiosity (and ignorance), what's a "chanter"?

Lynn Blevens
11-03-2007, 1:07 AM
Richard,A Chanter is the main piece on a Pibgorn,it is one of the oldest instrument from Wales (Hornpipe) It has a cut cow horn for the mouth piece you have a cane reed inside of that then the wood chanter has the finger notes 6 of them and a cut piece of horn on the other end to amp. the sound.It's a great little instrument.We have no maker of these here in the states.So I'm going to give it try.Lynn

Richard Madison
11-03-2007, 1:17 AM
Lynn,
Far out (to coin a phrase)! Also interesting and educational. Good luck with the project, and please show us a picture of the finished instrument. And thanks for your reply.
Richard in Wimberley