PDA

View Full Version : Orange Cty WW show

John Keane
11-02-2007, 5:14 PM
I just came back from attending the Orange Cty WW show at the Orang Cty Fairgrounds. It wasn't worth the trip. Talking to another attendee on the way out I asked him what he thought about it. He was as disappointed as I was. Reduced number of vendors, and quite frankly most of what I saw was crap.

Dan Stuewe
11-02-2007, 5:58 PM
That's good to know. I was thinking about bribing my girls so they would come with me and not whine too much. I don't have any money to spend so I would have just gone for the scenery.

Dave Falkenstein
11-02-2007, 7:01 PM
Is the show you are referring to The Woodworking Show at Costa Mesa? Your news is disappointing. Unfortunately, there have been similar reports on other shows around the country. Perhaps the slump in the housing industry is causing budget cuts in show participation by some of the vendors? And the new ownership of The Woodworking Shows could also be a contributing factor? Hmmm.

Craig D Peltier
11-02-2007, 7:34 PM
I just went to one called the Consumer Woodworking Show here in Seattle. It was lousy compared to the other traveling show that happens Puyallup in April. If Western tool supply and Pechtree woodworking wasnt there it would of been half empty.

John Keane
11-02-2007, 7:57 PM
Peachtree had a good showing, as did Freud. Incra had its usual setup. The two buildings and center court were only about 2/3rds full and surprisingly messy even for a wood worker. Festool has a decent setup as does the router bit seller (orange painted bits). A good opportunity for impulse shopping, but not much to learn. I wont be going back.

Don Bullock
11-02-2007, 8:22 PM
I'd been debating whether or not to go tomorrow. Thanks for the information. You just saved me a trip down there and a few bucks on admission and the "impulse buying." The LOML thanks you as well. I appreciate the information. It's too bad because the "same show" at Pomona in the spring was very good. There were a lot of deals to be had. So, tomorrow I have some "shop time." I'm really looking forward to it.:D

Steve Mellott
11-03-2007, 12:20 PM
John:

Was it the Consumer Woodworking Show or The Woodworking Show? I've heard negative feedback about the former, but little feedback about the latter. Thanks.

Steve

Ken Baker
11-04-2007, 9:42 AM
I spoke with one of the vendors and he said that the people that own the show sold it last year. And the new owners did a lousy job of notifying people, he said they knew the dates but never got more info until the last minute. Misssing was Delta/Porter, Jet, Mini Max, and Eagle Tools most notably.

So where last year I was struggling to get to all the seminars, this year you only has Sommerfeld (but not Mark), the 3 Spray Finishing ones, and then a couple extras on Friday.

On the positive side, the vendors that were there were hungry due to the crappy show. Prices had already dropped yesterday. I coudn't pass up a Jet Performax 16/32 Drum Sander for $580 (brand new in the box) - it's in Jet's fall promotion at $849. Also a Powermatic 2800 18" Drill Press for $600 (also new in box) - Rockler is selling for $899

Much better than the deals last year.

Ellen Benkin
11-04-2007, 12:44 PM
There were about 2/3 of the normal number of vendors. I hope the new owners get better organized for next year -- and for the Pomona show. But the fact that Lee Valley was there taking orders (no tax, no shipping) made up for the rest of the bunch staying away.

Nick Tuzzolino
11-04-2007, 4:26 PM
Thanks to Ken Baker's comments, I went to the show today and returned with the Powermatic Variable Speed Drill Press $599 out the door. No tax.
Thanks for posting, Ken.

steve swartz
11-12-2007, 4:44 PM
I went to the woodworking show at San Mateo last Friday. The sad thing is that I wasn't disappointed because I didn't expect it to be very good. I have been going to the shows for quite a few years and I have noticed that it has gotten smaller every year.
One of the biggest disappointments was that Rigid Tool was the only major supplier with a display. I had hoped, at least, to see Porter Cable.
The number of vendors that didn't show far surpassed the number that did show. If Peachtree hadn't have shown up, I don't think there would have even been a show. I like Peachtree. They seem to have some stuff that you can't find anywhere else.
Earlier this year, I went to our local Woodcraft store and asked the salesman if they were going to be at this WWS. He said that they would not be there because the costs were really high. He also told me that what happens to them and others, I suppose, is that when Kreg Jig (who is one of their suppliers) shows up and sells at the show, then they don't sell any Kreg jigs at their stores for a long time. Nothing like loyalty!
While I was at the show, I talked to one of the vendors about the costs and the quality of the show. He told me that it costs the vendor $1200.00 per 10 x10 square foot space. If you want a lot more spaces you can negotiate a little.
I was also told that as of a few months ago, the WWS have been sold. Apparently, the previous owners let everything slip. It has been bought by a few of the vendors with the hope of bringing it back from the almost dead.
I wish them the best. I would like to see more manufacturers there in the future. I would like these companies to send people that are knowledgable with their own products and not just kids wearing company shirts.
Last but not least, I would like to have a decent hamburger that doesn't look and taste like something that came from under Marc Sommerfeld's router table.

Scot Ferraro
11-12-2007, 5:15 PM
I wonder if next year will have more exhibitors in place and maybe this year was transitional. I believe that Felder is going to be attending the show in Pomona, CA in 2008 and if you look at the list of exhibitors it seems pretty big (although there are regional differences) -- it also says that they are not responsible for corporate cancellations. I held off attending the one in Costa Mesa and plan on going to Pomona but I will wait and see if things seem different next year. Here is a link to the exhibitor listing that I found:

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/exhibitors.asp

Thanks,

Scot