PDA

View Full Version : First lathe! First Turnings!

Richard Magbanua
11-02-2007, 5:14 PM
Well, I picked up my new Rikon mini-lathe a few days ago. I had to get it before the end of the month before it went back up to regulre price. I am glad to say that I am very pleased with my purchase. It took about 15 mins to put together and turn it on. I've read some complaints about bad bearings in the past but was relieved to find it very quiet and smooth. Even more than I was expecting. The finish was very good. I noticed that the bed was much smoother than the one on display at woodcraft to point of being shiny. I also found that changing speeds was very easy because of the open access design. All in all I am very impressed with it, especially for the price ($200). On the way home I stopped by Harbor Freight and got the Windsor Design chisels for less than forty bucks.
I've only turned a few things so far. Just a couple tea light holders and a small box. They are made of cherry and finished with wipe-on poly and wax. I haven't had too much trouble yet, just alot of fun. Feel free to let me know what you think. I'd like to just say, "thank you" for all of the knowledge you've shared with me so far. It makes it pretty hard to be "self taught" anymore.

Mike Vickery
11-02-2007, 5:23 PM
Very nice looking turnings, congrats on the lathe.

TYLER WOOD
11-02-2007, 5:37 PM
congrats on the lathe. Good luck!!!

Nice work on the pieces. They shine pretty nicely, what did you sand down to?

Alex Elias
11-02-2007, 6:01 PM
Seems to me like you are set for a good start. The turning look mighty nice for first time turner.
Congrats.

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2007, 7:43 PM
Congrats on the lathe Richard. I have the Rikon to and am quite pleased with it. Turnings look great. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2007, 9:38 PM
Richard.........Fantastic first turnings and Congrats on the lathe!

Gary Herrmann
11-02-2007, 9:43 PM
First turnings? Very impressive.

Jon Lanier
11-02-2007, 9:46 PM
Very nice and congrats on the Lathe. I just got one of those myself.

Steve Schlumpf
11-03-2007, 9:51 AM
Congrats on your new lathe! Very impressive first turnings! Nice forms and great looking finishes! Looking forward to seeing more of your work soon!

Steve Ott
11-03-2007, 6:14 PM
Very impressive for first turnings. Keep it up!

Tom Sherman
11-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Richard those are some nice looking turnings and congratulations on the new lathe.

robert hainstock
11-04-2007, 2:34 PM
:o CONGRATS RICHARD,I
REMEMBER MY FIRST LATHE. IT WAS A $39.00 SEARS, THAT I POWERED WITH A 1/3 HS WASHING MACHINE MOTOR. GLAD YOU DIDN'T HANDICAP YOURSELF THATWAY

Pat Doble
11-04-2007, 8:04 PM
Great lookin' first turnings Richard. I started about a year ago with the same Rikon and HF set 'combo' - both are still going strong...

Richard Magbanua
11-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind replies!