PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe Gloat!!

Wayne Bitting
11-02-2007, 1:26 PM
The new lathe showed up two weeks early, no time to assemble, no power in the shop, no room in the shop, no room to store it at work (where I had it delivered), and no help to get it out of my trunk when I get home! What kind of gas mileage do you think I’d get leaving it in my trunk driving 40 miles a day for two weeks???? :) Jet 1642EVS 2hp, even broken down it was a back breaker to get in the truck, can’t wait to fire it up in a few weeks! I only ordered it from Tool Nuts on the 26th, took a week. Thanks for the push to upgrade!

Tony De Masi
11-02-2007, 1:33 PM
Congrats Wayne. Remember the Creed of the Creek. " No pictures, it didn't happen" :p

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
11-02-2007, 1:35 PM
Congrats on your new lathe Wayne!!! Same model that I have and I absolutely love mine!

No room in your shop? You got a living room?

Looking forward to seeing pics once you have it up and running!

Alex Elias
11-02-2007, 1:52 PM
Congrats. It sure is a back bracker. I got the 110 vertion less than 1 year ago. The day I got it I was off and it was putting it togheter that day by my self or wait for a week to get someone to help. I put it togheter that day and it was #&(%^#( the rear but I was able to make something that same day.
Enjoy it

Wayne Bitting
11-02-2007, 1:54 PM
Yes Steve, I've got a living room - and a wife who'd kill me!

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2007, 2:09 PM
Congrats Wayne. Can't wait to see it.

Tim A. Mitchell
11-02-2007, 2:35 PM
I used to store my router table and various other items in my living room. The wafe was happy when we moved, and I got a garage. I don't think she would have gone for a lathe in the house.

TYLER WOOD
11-02-2007, 2:40 PM
death, such a small price to pay to play today!!!
Hey as I've always said, death is the ultimate adventure, you only get to do it once!!!

Kevin Cole
11-02-2007, 4:31 PM
Oh no!
I hate the feeling of buying a new tool and not being able to use it. I bought my lathe 2 month ago and couldnt use it until 3 days ago.
You can make it. :D

Bill Wyko
11-02-2007, 4:38 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe. If you feel that mileage will be a problem, i have a very powerful Cummins that will have no trouble getting it out of your way and I have plenty of room here at my shop.:D JK. Look forward to seeing your new hotrod.

Wayne Bitting
11-02-2007, 6:35 PM
I got home as soon as I could and started ripping apart the workshop to make room. I came up with a great idea since I didn't have any helpers and know that I would have to move it 20 times before being ready to set it up. I bolted some wheels to scrap 2x4s and then pulled the pallet out of my truck just enough to screw them to it. Tada - now I have a wheelbarrow! I was able to slide it out of the trunk and then get it to the ground and just wheel it into the workshop. I was pretty proud of my self, since it took 5 of us at work get it loaded and just me to get it safely unloaded.:cool:

Trunk full of lathe:74544

Wheelbarrow style:74543

robert hainstock
11-02-2007, 7:41 PM
WAYNE,
GLAD TA MEETYA! ASK STEVE SCHLUMPF HOW HE GOT HIS JET INTO HIS BASEMENT.:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2007, 9:40 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Wayne! May it serve you well!

Jon Lanier
11-02-2007, 9:45 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe. It will serve you will I say.

Richard Madison
11-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Little wonder that so many "experienced" turners also suffer from "back trouble". Maybe an aluminum lathe with a ballast tank between the legs to hold about 100 gallons of water would be helpful.

Bob Hallowell
11-03-2007, 7:25 AM
Wayne,
Congrads on the lathe!, I just mapquested "Newportville" to see if it only an hour away maybe I'd come help set it up but I see you live in the "other" Pennsylvania bout 5 hours away:eek:

Bob

Phil Warnement
11-05-2007, 8:57 AM
What is "Tool Nuts," I've never heard of it before?

George Guadiane
11-05-2007, 9:12 AM
Little wonder that so many "experienced" turners also suffer from "back trouble". Maybe an aluminum lathe with a ballast tank between the legs to hold about 100 gallons of water would be helpful.
If you build it we will buy (but I do worry about damage to the bed).
Maybe cast aluminum legs and tank, with a cast iron bed and stuff?

Wayne Bitting
11-05-2007, 9:27 AM
Phil - http://www.toolnut.com/ give them your best price and he'll beat it!

Dave Ray
11-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Wayne, you deserve some kind of award for that "wheel barrow" idea. I have got to remember that trick. Good luck and have fun with your lathe