PDA

View Full Version : HD Bargain on Bosch Driver PS40-2

Scott Coffelt
11-02-2007, 1:08 PM
So I saw that HD had the PS40-2 driver on sale via online for $59 and free shipping. Out of stock, arrrggggg. I printed off the ad and hit the local HD. First they said sure we match our own online adds. Then it rang up $179, she was floored. Three people later looking at the add and the box, determined that it was the same and that there was nothing wrong, so they let me slide out the door with the $59 plus local tax. It even came with a free flashlight. If you try this, make sure you grab the right one. They also have a PS20-2 in stock.

I've been wanting one of these babies for when up on a ladder or just need a quick tool. I bought the small Ryobi one for like $29 or something. It works fine, but just not enough power and does not have the removable batteries. I'll put that one in the wife's tool drawer.

The added bonus of a free flashlight, means I can finally dump my PC 12v version on classifieds. Stay tuned for that posting if interested.

Jeffrey Schronce
11-02-2007, 1:38 PM
So I saw that HD had the PS40-2 driver on sale via online for $59 and free shipping. Out of stock, arrrggggg. I printed off the ad and hit the local HD. First they said sure we match our own online adds. Then it rang up $179, she was floored. Three people later looking at the add and the box, determined that it was the same and that there was nothing wrong, so they let me slide out the door with the $59 plus local tax. It even came with a free flashlight. If you try this, make sure you grab the right one. They also have a PS20-2 in stock.

I've been wanting one of these babies for when up on a ladder or just need a quick tool. I bought the small Ryobi one for like $29 or something. It works fine, but just not enough power and does not have the removable batteries. I'll put that one in the wife's tool drawer.

The added bonus of a free flashlight, means I can finally dump my PC 12v version on classifieds. Stay tuned for that posting if interested.

Wow. Are you ready for this? Bosch has $20 rebate on the PS40!

Eric Garner
11-02-2007, 1:39 PM
I'm going to give it a shot even though the text is pretty clear when I printed it off their web site. "Online Only"

Jeffrey Schronce
11-02-2007, 1:40 PM
You really lucked out! The online price says "Online Only".

Scott Coffelt
11-02-2007, 3:16 PM
It says that, but not highlighted. None the less, the HD folks never even commented on that. Rebate expired 10/31/07. Well, I can't be too greedy now can I? That would have gotten a you really, really, really suck vs. you just suck.

Ken Massingale
11-02-2007, 3:26 PM
Wow. Are you ready for this? Bosch has $20 rebate on the PS40!
Jeffrey, where did you see the rebate?

The local HD didn't have any in stock, but my daughter in Tulsa did get one for me for the online price.

Tim Reagan
11-02-2007, 3:29 PM
From what I can see the rebate ended 10/31/07. will try my printout on my way home.
tim

Justin McCurdy
11-02-2007, 4:06 PM
You guys/gals better hurry to get the driver for 59.97. I know the manager of my local store contacted them when I went in for the driver. He did honor the price though.

Jeremy Chisholm
11-02-2007, 4:40 PM
I printed out the ad this a.m. to check out after work.

I'm not actually a suburbanite (:rolleyes: ) but I play one in the movies...so there are actually TWO HD's within TWO miles of my current residence!

At the first store, the manager quite sternly declined to honor the price, not because of anything (qualifier or date) in the ad, but because "we're not going to honor this online price. If it's a mistake somebody made, doesn't matter 'cause our in-store price is correct so we don't have to." This store has honored online prices in the past, but oh well. On to the next store- it's only a minute away:D .

At HD #2, when I asked the manager said "of course we honor our online prices!" and proceded to ring me through at the printed online price, no questions asked. The Good Book says perseverence produces character, and I believe it's true, but today it also produced a great deal on a great tool!

BTW- and because I am a lawyer (not just in the movies) I have to qualify this by saying "The following is NOT legal advice in any jurisdiction and is offered only as a private, non-professional opinion": if I were advising HD, I'd recommend a well-publicized policy of either "honor" or "not honor" that customers can get to know, and thereby predict what their actions should be. These "newfangled internets" (!) aren't going away, and an ad-hoc, variable-within-two-miles approach to pricing policy is not a tenable approach to good customer relations for a giant corporation with both bricks-and-mortar and online retail presence.

Jack Tanner
11-02-2007, 6:24 PM
I looked up the add online and just for the heck of it I printed it. I called my local store but they refused to honor the online price. While I was in the process of talking the the store, they pulled the online add, it now says product not available. I wrote a short e-mail to cs I am curious to see what they say Jack

Danny Thompson
11-02-2007, 6:24 PM
The store I went to, right out of the block, said the online prices are not their prices, even before seeing the prices. But they offered to reduce the price by $75--down to $104--anyway. Very nice of them. I'll think about it.

Bill Wyko
11-02-2007, 6:29 PM
I recently bought one of their 18v LI screw guns for around 79 bucks I think. First impression is that the little thing can't be powerful. Then I charged it up and used it. It's a little monster. It'll tackle anything my twice the size Dewalt will do and do it longer and stronger. You can't even buy a replacement battery for a Dewalt for the price I got the little B&D for. IMHO cheap at twice the price.

Jeremy Chisholm
11-02-2007, 6:37 PM
Yeah, at the first store I went to the manager made quite a deal of the fact that "online is a whole other thing" and "online prices aren't our prices." I think that's a bit of a stretch for a giant like HD, but if that's their policy, they should make it known; it would save a lot of creekers the occasional drive :cool:

When I challenged this argument (that online and in-store prices are just plain apples and oranges) with the reply that it's all one store, and there's no policy that says "online is online and right here is right here," I was told that "shipping" accounts for the difference. When I pointed out that the ad specified "free shipping on orders over 49.99" and that in any case I doubted that it cost $120 to ship the little guy from the warehouse to the store, the manager reverted to "I don't gotta. Period." oh well. I can't really be peeved, but they'd really be well-served to come up with a coherent, consistent price policy.

Jim Fox
11-02-2007, 7:40 PM
Another happy customer here. Took my print out to the local HD store (not in Portage, MI another close local store) and he looked at the slip, walked over to the aisle, grabbed it off the shelf and rung it up.

Been looking at these for several months now, thank OP for the heads up. Haven't tested it out yet, other than to pull the trigger and see it work. Seems to have a lot of kick for such a small package.

Rick Jeschke
11-02-2007, 8:44 PM
Thanks to Scott, I picked one up on the way home today. Took a stop at two stores though. 1st one said "We have overhead so we can't match that". Second one the manager almost fell over when he looked it up on website on their computer but said he would honor it. So saved $120 for just going to 2 stores in less than 30 minutes. Not a bad trip.

Scott Hubl
11-02-2007, 9:06 PM
I saw the HD online price mentioned on another forum and printed a members reciept from Utica MI. I am in the Chicago area and I printed the web page too.

I took them to my local HD (Chicago Ridge,IL.) I found ONE in the tool corral, took it up to the contractor registers and she started to ring it up. At the $179.00 or so price.

I said , does HD honor there own online prices?

She said lets see I showed her the print outs , she said I'll have to call a manager on this, that is ALOT off.

I waited a few minutes and we walked out of line to the contractor counter he said he could not honor it, as last week they had similar tries at matching it and said it was PULLED off the web site.

I said I beg to differ here, as I just printed this 5 minutes ago off HD's web site as you can see the date and time printed on the bottom of these pages. AND the HD reciept is clearly dated Nov. 2,2007.

He again tries to explain that HD pulled it offline I said lets LOOK because all I did was type the model # into HD's "search" box and its THERE! He does and is Amazed to see it, then calls over another higher up manager and shows him HE says HONOR it for the man!

I tried the o'l, Maybe Bosch has discontinued this model? http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

And he says No, they are actually pretty New and we have a whole display of them for Christmas with other tools in the line.

The one last one I found in the tool corral had the free Holster, so since he started writing up the online price for the register girl, I ran over to the Christmas tool display area and found one with the free flashlight instead, I bring it back to the contractor desk he looks it over,( I was only going to exchange it for the one with the flashlight as it was an even better deal than the holster,which I may never use, but will get alot of use out of that flashlight.) He then scribbles out the 1 in the Quantity and replaces it with a 2, without saying a word.

And hands me both and the price adjustment paper and say to the woman on the contractor register ring both up for him at the online price. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif

Heres a couple pics and here is the register reciept so hopefully others local and afar can also benifit. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif

Go GET em guys !! http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif

BTW- He made phone calls to get it PULLED Off and said he'd have to KEEP my print outs, I said thats COOL http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowcool.gif with me. ( by then I already Knew I was getting them for the online price tho.) http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Bosch/Bosch1web.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Bosch/boschreciept2.jpg

Gary Herrmann
11-02-2007, 9:34 PM
I printed the page out and stuck it in my pocket and forgot about it until SWMBO decided to stop at HD to look at Halloween decorations. Didn't get the one with the flashlight, but the boy has already claimed the holster.

They honored the price without even thinking about it.

Scott Hubl
11-02-2007, 9:42 PM
On there home page type in - ps40-2 in the "search box" at the top left corner. I just now checked it is still there.

Can I post a URL to it? the HD page it's on?

EDIT: OK, NOW it is now gone from the web site here also. Weird it was gone one place and not another?

OR is it?
I just now tried it again with -PS40-2 and there it was! Their still open around here until 10 PM, RUN and get one if you can! use my reciept pic. at $120.00 off the reg. price its well worth the effort.

John Lopez
11-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks Scott for sharing this with us. I went to one of my local HDs and was turned away. I tried another and was able to pick two of them up. They came with free holsters; what a great deal. By the way this is my first post on the creek after being a lurker for a while. Hello to all.

Tim Reagan
11-02-2007, 11:37 PM
I really fought at the first HD, but got it. Now can't get a second one for my father in law for Christmas from 2 other stores. I don't think the first one would sell me another.

Gary Benson
11-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks Scott. The check out person had to get a manager. She said, "of course I will honor the online price". When she found out how much of a discount it was she double checked the model #'s, etc. She was amazed, but never gave me a hassle.

Thanks again,

Gary Benson

Jack Diemer
11-03-2007, 9:39 AM
Home Depot wouldn't honor it, so I took the add to Lowes and they honored it. I think they were suppose to give me an extra 10% off, but that when the girl rang it up, it ended up being the matched price. Only bad part of this story, I did not get the flashlight. I will gladly trade a holster for a flashlight if anyone wants to do that.

Calvin Crutchfield
11-03-2007, 9:58 AM
Armed with the printed ad and the previous Gentlemens receipt. I almost had a manager honor it, all he needed was his own printout. However the item can not be found online anymore. Not even with the aforementioned "-ps40-2" search trick. Almost doesn't count in tools. :(

I even had some urls that did work previously but even they no longer work.

Jack Tanner
11-03-2007, 8:46 PM
Here is a little update to my first post. I got a reply back from cs and they told me to go back to my local store, that the manager had the power to resolve my concerns. So I told the print out about the drill and a copy of the e-mail from cs to the store. Sure enought he sold me two of them at 59.97 each. Very happy day! Jack

Calvin Crutchfield
11-03-2007, 9:02 PM
Can you post the info or address you sent to CS and their reply?