PDA

View Full Version : woodfast 910/Rikon 70-500 question

Benjamin Dahl
11-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I know that many people here are partial to Jet/Powermatic and Oneway (or Robust, VB, Stubby, Nova, etc.). Looking at previous posts, it seems that the large Woodfast 910 has been a reliable lathe for those who own it. Has anyone turned on the large Rikon? I like the large capacity and it seems solidly built. The review in FWW listed a few minor issues but was positive overall.The main complaints I have heard are that it is overpriced (and for the list price the PM 3520 is a better choice). I have a chance to get one at a significant discount but was hoping for some feedback before moving forward.
Thanks,
Ben

Mike Vickery
11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I have an older modle Woodfast 910. I love my machine for the price I paid for it and if I won the lottery tomarrow I would not run out and get a new lathe because it does everything I currently ask of it.
Personally the New Rikkon Woodfast series I would be leary of based on the quality control issue with their mini lathes.
I know at my local woodcraft they sell them and last time I talked to them they had only sold one. I have never heard of anyone on any of the forums that bought one mostly because the PM 3520 is much more attractive in that price range. The review is probably as good as you are going to get as far as a comparison.
You will probably have to use a judgement call depending on how much the discount is. Last I heard you could get a PM 3520 for under $2,600 online. If it was me I would not even consider the Rikon over the PM3520 unless it was priced under $ 2,100. But hey this is just my opinion.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a friend that has one of the pre-Rikon Woodfasts. He is an extremely talented turner. He has had his Woodfast for quite a few years and he thinks "Oneway" is the only way......Of course, he's Canadian!:) But he also says there are better US made lathes as compared to my recently purchased PM 3520B.

Benjamin Dahl
11-02-2007, 1:07 PM
thanks guys. I will need to sleep on this one for a bit. the price is what is making this attractive as I could have it below 2100. my worry is that since there does not seem to be a lot of people buying them, there might not be long term support for it. on the other hand, the company seems to be introducing a fair amount of new products and getting good press on some of them so hopefully they will stay in business.
Ben