PDA

View Full Version : Anchorseal vs. Latex Paint

Greg Just
11-02-2007, 9:55 AM
I have used latex paint to seal the end grain of green wood, but have never used products like Anchorseal. Is there really much difference? I don't harvest a lot of wood.

Al Wasser
11-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I've tried both on fresh cut log sections. Neither one prevented checking and cracking. I have also made the mistake of getting green blanks off of Ebay that were coated in anchor seal and they cracked. Maybe the West is too dry for either to work well.

Jeff Bower
11-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Greg, I live south of you in IA. I've used both and both have worked well to prevent cracking/checking. Nothing is perfect and the temp/humidity will affect it as well. I've been told that 2 coats of latex works about the same as 1 coat of anchorseal. I get "oops" cans of latex at the borgs for less than $5 vs $18 for a gallon of anchorseal.

Peter Hyde
11-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I tried all the substitutes and then found how easy and cheap it is to use Anchorseal. Whether it works or not depends on the time of year the tree is felled, the species and how long is has had to dry before sealing. I don't think there is a product that will prevent cracking 100% but Anchorseal is the best of what's out there IMHO. One very happy user:)
I tried submerging fresh cut logs in a rain water barrel and guess what, after 2 weeks they had split from end to end. Go figure!:eek:

Steve knight
11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
the stuff goes a very long ways. one coat is enough and it does not need to be thick. I had to buy 5 gallons as it was all I could get and the stuff will last forever.

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2007, 2:12 PM
I still use latex paint and anchorseal. Have had excellent luck with both. Latex paint needs at least 2 coats. 3 works really well.

George Guadiane
11-02-2007, 5:55 PM
Greg,
Our club buys Anchorseal in 5 Gal buckets and breaks it down for guys who don't use a lot of it - I just buy 5 gallons at a time. If not a memebr of a club already, join a club and if they don't already carry that and super glue, suggest it.

I've tried both on fresh cut log sections. Neither one prevented checking and cracking. I have also made the mistake of getting green blanks off of Ebay that were coated in anchor seal and they cracked. Maybe the West is too dry for either to work well.
Al,
Anchorseal works pretty well when properly used, and when the pith is removed from the blanks.
I have bought wood on eBay, and had nothing but good luck. For smaller stuff, I cut it and seal it in paraffin wax that I melt in an electric frying pan. Works even better.
Having also sold wood on eBay, I found that people who had problems with what I sold had actually mad judgment errors in handling the wood.
One guy turned the outside of a vase and left the wood on the lathe, with no covering, no finish, no nuttin'
He came back the following morning and sent me a picture of it... It looked like Freddie Krueger had gone to work on it. I sent him another piece of wood and made sure that he covered the wood while in process to prevent the same thing from happening again.
I found out about it, in the same way. I turned the outside and left it on the lathe so I "wouldn't have to set it up again." I live in UpState NY and do my turning in a pretty moist environment, some things just crack, even here.

George Guadiane
11-02-2007, 6:00 PM
I still use latex paint and anchorseal. Have had excellent luck with both. Latex paint needs at least 2 coats. 3 works really well.
I use AnchorSeal and paraffin wax for two reasons:

That way I know what the wood looks like when selecting what I want to turn from my VAST collection of blanks.
I sell wood and my customers want to SEE what they are getting.I find that hot waxing seals up the end grain really well. If not for those things, I would CERTAINLY use latex paint.

Curt Fuller
11-02-2007, 7:22 PM
I tried all the substitutes and then found how easy and cheap it is to use Anchorseal. Whether it works or not depends on the time of year the tree is felled, the species and how long is has had to dry before sealing. I don't think there is a product that will prevent cracking 100% but Anchorseal is the best of what's out there IMHO. One very happy user:)
I tried submerging fresh cut logs in a rain water barrel and guess what, after 2 weeks they had split from end to end. Go figure!:eek:

I gotta agree with this. I've found that gathering wood during the spring or summer is an exercise in frustration. Late fall and winter when the sap is down seems to be more of a factor than what I seal it with. But I also agree that anchorseal does a better job than paint and a gallon will seal a lot of blanks. Don't let it freeze in the jug though, that seems to mess it up.

For summer or spring wood it seems like you have to get it roughed into whatever you're going to make, with a good uniform thickness, and get it sealed and paper bagged. Then there's a good chance it will still check.

John Shuk
11-02-2007, 7:58 PM
Anchorseal is what Iuse. It works well but if you get wood that wants to check it is going to check. I have had good luck for the most part though.
I can't imagine using paint. I just use however much anchorseal I want, I don't have to worry about paint spots anywhere and I put the brush into a ziplock bag and even if the wax dries I can use it again because it will soften up again.

Ron Crosby
06-30-2009, 4:12 PM
I prefer anchorseal too, not much luck with latex paint unless I use many coats.

Wally Dickerman
06-30-2009, 5:22 PM
Too often people who complain of cracks in wood after using anchorseal or latex, apply the sealer after the wood is already cracked. The sealer won't make the cracks go away.

The one or two times I've used latex the results weren't good. It's anchorseal for me. I apply a second coat if I think that it's needed. When gathering fresh cut wood I always have a supply of plastic bags on hand for transporting it.

Wally

curtis rosche
06-30-2009, 6:03 PM
read my post in the other sealer thread

Christopher Fletcher
06-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I've had good success with paraffin wax, thinned with mineral spirits, and melted in a double boiler. So far I have not lost any pieces that I have sealed this way. I haven't tried anchorseal, frankly because I hate to pay shipping fees.

Greg Just
06-30-2009, 10:36 PM
I jointed a local club and get the sealer for $10 a gallon - a real bargain

Jarrod McGehee
06-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I use paraffin wax like a few of the other guys and even the Woodennicol says that I did a good job. I haven't had problems with it except finding where to get it.

Brian George
07-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I just ordered a 55 gallon barrel of anchor seal from the manufacturer for our club and sold it in 5 gallon buckets for $40.00/bucket. I hope to do this once a year for the club members. I have 10 gallons left.

Brian George
07-01-2009, 12:11 AM
After dipping in melted wax for a couple years I finally went to Anchor Seal and won't look back. It goes a very long way and really does the job. You can buy it with an additive to keep it from freezing if that is a factor in your area.