PDA

View Full Version : Digital Memory Card

Gary Keedwell
11-02-2007, 9:51 AM
The problem is that LOML seen these "picture frames" where you put your memory card in the slot and pictures keep changing in the frame.
Here is my set-up: I have a Kodak digital camera with a docking station. All I have done for 3 1/2 years is take pictures and transfer them to computer. That is all I have done.
My question is: Can you take the pictures that are in the computer and put them BACK into the memory card? I would like to buy LOML one of those picture frames and put a collage together using the hundreds of pictures on the computer to choose from. Any help would be great.:)
Gary

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2007, 9:59 AM
Gary,

I had a computer built for the LOML the "Camera Queen" by Dell. In the Dell version of the camera program you can send an image or a file of images to a specific drive. The memory card is considered a "drive" . I don't know for sure, but I can sure try it later .....if she had zeroed out one of here memory cards. She is the worst person I've ever seen about clearing a memory card.

Jason Roehl
11-02-2007, 10:01 AM
In most cases, yes, you can, Gary. A few cameras set up a proprietary archival system on their cards that cause some issues with putting image files on them, but that has mostly become a thing of the past. Nowadays, the memory cards are very similar to a USB drive, which acts like a removable disk--you can put just about any file on it provided it fits. With the cost of memory cards being what they are (pretty cheap if you shop around for deals), you could get some that are dedicated for the e-frame (xD and SD are pretty good, but I may be a little behind in this realm) so that you don't confuse them with the cards you use in your camera, or you could go the other route and get the ones your camera uses so that you have extra if you need them. More and more, both cameras and frames tend to be multi-format, so it almost boils down to personal preference and performance.

Charles Wiggins
11-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Gary,

I have a Kodak too, but we didn't spring for the dock (although I've used one at work).

After testing this to see if it will work, if the picture frame does not come with a memory card, I would just buy one just for the frame, so you don't have to go through all this every time you want to use the camera.

1) Dock the camera and prepare it as if you were going to download photos. If the Kodak software automatically starts when you do this, just close the Kodak software so you have a clean desktop.

2) Go to Start > My Computer, and your camera should appear in the list of drives, so select it (double left-click). You will now have to drill down through the directory structure of the camera to the removable memory card. (You may want to keep one photo in the memory card to make it easy to identify when you're there.) Once you find that directory, leave it open but move it off to one side or minimize it to the task bar.

3) Go to My Documents > My Pictures, or wherever you store your photos (I cannot remember where the Kodak software installs its photo directory, but I'm pretty sure that it's NOT in My Pictures.) It will help if you have your view options set to 'Thumbnails'. When you find the directory that you want to copy photos from, bring your 'memory card' window back up, and put the windows side by side on the desktop (you may need to resize them a bit).

4) Now, you SHOULD be able to select photos from your computer with a left click-and-hold on the mouse and drag them to the memory card window, and let go of the left mouse button to 'drop' them.

Caution: I THINK :confused: the Windows default is to COPY a file when doing drag and drop to an EXTERNAL hard drive (which your camera is). BUT, if it actually MOVES the file (deletes it from your PC when you move it to you memory card :mad: ) then do this instead:
Right-click on the image file and select 'Copy', then move your cursor to the memory card window, right-click and select 'Paste' ;).

Hope this wasn't too confusing. Good luck!

Gary Keedwell
11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Gary,

I have a Kodak too, but we didn't spring for the dock (although I've used one at work).

After testing this to see if it will work, if the picture frame does not come with a memory card, I would just buy one just for the frame, so you don't have to go through all this every time you want to use the camera.

1) Dock the camera and prepare it as if you were going to download photos. If the Kodak software automatically starts when you do this, just close the Kodak software so you have a clean desktop.

2) Go to Start > My Computer, and your camera should appear in the list of drives, so select it (double left-click). You will now have to drill down through the directory structure of the camera to the removable memory card. (You may want to keep one photo in the memory card to make it easy to identify when you're there.) Once you find that directory, leave it open but move it off to one side or minimize it to the task bar.

3) Go to My Documents > My Pictures, or wherever you store your photos (I cannot remember where the Kodak software installs its photo directory, but I'm pretty sure that it's NOT in My Pictures.) It will help if you have your view options set to 'Thumbnails'. When you find the directory that you want to copy photos from, bring your 'memory card' window back up, and put the windows side by side on the desktop (you may need to resize them a bit).

4) Now, you SHOULD be able to select photos from your computer with a left click-and-hold on the mouse and drag them to the memory card window, and let go of the left mouse button to 'drop' them.

Caution: I THINK :confused: the Windows default is to COPY a file when doing drag and drop to an EXTERNAL hard drive (which your camera is). BUT, if it actually MOVES the file (deletes it from your PC when you move it to you memory card :mad:) then do this instead:
Right-click on the image file and select 'Copy', then move your cursor to the memory card window, right-click and select 'Paste' ;).

Hope this wasn't too confusing. Good luck!
Charles..Good Man!!! I did it. It took awhile and I could not use My Pictures but I put the pictures from Kodak next to the Memory card, like you said, and dragged over 80 pictures. I'm so excited.
Now I;ll have to go buy that picture frame and try it out. I think I might give her a Pre-Christmas present :D :D
Again..Thanks for helping this old computer challenged "Old Fart"
Gary

Charles Wiggins
11-02-2007, 2:15 PM
Charles..Good Man!!! I did it. It took awhile and I could not use My Pictures but I put the pictures from Kodak next to the Memory card, like you said, and dragged over 80 pictures. I'm so excited.
Now I;ll have to go buy that picture frame and try it out. I think I might give her a Pre-Christmas present :D :D
Again..Thanks for helping this old computer challenged "Old Fart"
Gary

Regards to you and the LOYL.