PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
11-02-2007, 6:39 AM
Friday November 2nd, 2007

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"

I hope you all know by now that the annual SMC "Fund Drive" is under way. Go to the top right portion of the page, under your name, and click on the donate button for information on how to donate.

Well, it's not been a happy week for me. After posting last weeks "Doin's" thread, I went to take the trash cans out to the curb for pick up. It was dark and as I was pulling 2 cans I stepped on a fallen oak branch. Twisted my ankle and proceeded to fall, with my left hand taking the brunt of the fall. It's still sore and has prevented me from doing just about any thing all week. Amazing how much you use your non dominate hand. Ankle is still sore also, but is getting better quicker than the hand/wrist.

Weather here has been typical of the season. Overall, cool nights and getting into the 50's during the day. It has been very windy though. Today is supposed to be in the 60's, so I'm going to see if I can get some more winterizing done outside. Not sure how much I'll accomplish with this bum hand though. Other than that I think I'll just rest the hand.

So what's on the agenda in your neck of the woods? I hope you enjoy whatever it may be, and as always, BE SAFE.

Karl

Tony De Masi
11-02-2007, 7:56 AM
Carl, sorry to hear about your mishap and I hope you heal quickly.

I'm heading to Sin City in the morning with the LOML. Neither of us have been there before and neither of us are gamblers so I'm not sure what the purpose of the trip is other that I was told I was going.

Otherwise looking forward to our club meeting next Saturday as Bill Grumbine will be our demonstrator. Can't wait cause you know it won't be boring.

Tony

Al Willits
11-02-2007, 8:31 AM
Take it easy Karl, and heal quick.

Woodworkers guild seminar with Marc Adams this weekend, sat & sun so that takes care of the days, and I have a couple of sheets of roofing left for the car port to install.

Few minor woodworking projects left to finish, nothing major.

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2007, 8:35 AM
Let that hand heal Karl!

Tonight our greatgranddaughter Riley (15 months old) is coming to spend the night with Nanny and PaPa. It'll take both of us to keep up with her.

Tomorrow, try to stay away from the day job and caulk and work the mud on the ceiling of the shop.

Sunday, hopefully be in a postion to primer the walls and ceiling in the east half of the shop.

Matt Meiser
11-02-2007, 9:06 AM
Tonight we are taking LOML jr to see Bee Movie. Hopefully it lives up to the hype. Either tomorrow or Sunday I'm helping my dad rebuild a transmission for his truck. He started it this summer when one of my uncles was in town but has left it sitting since. I also HAVE to get started on an easel my daughter wants for Christmas and need to do some miscellaneous stuff to prep for winter. I still have some rose of sharon bushes to cut back and need to do some rearranging in the storage area of my barn to put the winter implements in front an the summer implements in the back. Yesterday the weatherman used the "s" word for later next week.

Danny Thompson
11-02-2007, 9:25 AM
Take 2 on the #4 fettle. Homecoming at my daughter's school. Maybe sneak some new piece of equipment in while my wife is out of town.

Gary Keedwell
11-02-2007, 9:39 AM
Waiting for Sunday's big game. Patriots VS. Colts.

Go Pats!!!!!;)

Jeff Bower
11-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Waiting for Sunday's big game.

I though you were talking about Packers v. Cheifs:p

Go Pack!

I'll be busy redoing the bearings on my lathe again. Went cheap the first time and will upgrade to heavy duty this time. Can't wait to get back to spinning wood.

Jim Becker
11-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Ouch, Karl. I hope that heals quickly...it's been several years since I took a fall on my right hand and the wrist has never been the same since. Did I happen to say, "ouch"??

My weekend is starting sometime this afternoon after I get all these expense reports filed...too many of them since I've been doing a lot of travel this year. I have a few little things to do in the addition this weekend and I really, really want to get back on the face frames and doors for the linen cabinet that's been in progress way too long. (Due to my travel to Mexico City this week and Nastia's karate tournament--a bronze in team kata, BTW, I had zero shop time last weekend) Oh, an I'm looking forward to a visit from Mike Morgan on Sunday afternoon... :)

Sean Troy
11-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Maybe this weekend I'll actually get to finish the new shop and start setting up. Maybe, hopfully?

Greg Cole
11-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Wive's sister is coming to town for the weekend... YAY. Seriously, I will be exhonorated from having to come out of the shop for 2 days 'cept for dinner on the town Sat night. The wife & her sister will also occupy the little dude & his puppy pretty well too... :D
#1) to finish the DC closet, really only need to stuff in a lil insulation and button it up.
#2) re-install some DC runs which were reconfigured from the closet construction etc.
#3) Install the shed door that's been sitting in the corner of the shop for a few weeks now.
#4) Start my game plan for getting rid of the behemoth bench I made years ago now... it wasn't so big when there were no tools in the garage... now it seems like it's just a big flat spot for ummm chit collection (or the place to look for something I can't seem to find where it belongs).
#5) What the heck ever else I want.:D :D :D

Greg

Bill Wyko
11-02-2007, 1:05 PM
Well, I should be putting finish on the never ending Humidor this weekend. I still need to build some more pieces for the inside but it should be ready to unveil soon.:)

Robert Goodwin
11-02-2007, 2:09 PM
ASU VS Oregon
Cardinals VS Tampa

And then maybe grout the bathroom that I am working on so I can back to setting up my shop.

Nancy Laird
11-02-2007, 3:59 PM
Just got home from early-morning blood tests at VA vampire bank :( and delivering several laser orders :), running errands:) , and picking up money:D, after working until 10:30 last night and up again at 5:30-ish this morning. Gonna reorganize laser shop a little and take a nap. I have four pens to turn and engrave, seven more to engrave pens and boxes.

Saturday I have a craft show at a local high school, so it will be an early day again--I'm going to try to find a radio to keep up with Tennessee v. Louisiana-Lafayette and New Mexico v. TCU.

Sunday I'm gonna REST!!!---and finish the pens I don't finish today.:(

Nancy (49 days)

Jude Kingery
11-02-2007, 4:09 PM
Sounds like everyone's got lots of good plans! Karl, hope you mend very soon! Deer season opens this Saturday so the LOML is getting all his gear ready. I'll spend some time in the shop! Perfect weather for it, daytimes now are in the low 70's and nights not too bad in the 50's. Best of weekends to everybody! Jude

Don Bullock
11-02-2007, 8:48 PM
Karl, take care of yourself. I hope you heal quickly.

I'm excited!! If all goes as planned, since I've just read that the wwing show in Costa Mesa is a bust, I'm going to have some "shop time." I've had my table saw all set up to make some cuts in my current project for the last two months, but have had no time to make the cuts. By this time tomorrow they should be made along with some other things that I need to do out there.:D Please understand that I'm not complaining about not being able to be in the shop. I've been traveling to dog shows with our "girl" who is doing quite well -- currently the number 6 basset hound. I am, however, glad to have a weekend where I can get back to doing some woodworking.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
11-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Well it's been a very busy summer and I've posted little because of it. Company has had me running all over the world doing cooling tests (from Mesa, Arizona to Poznan, Poland).

I've been getting a bit of shop time. I built three shaker side tables, two for us and one for the the first grandbaby's nursery (due Jan 1). I also finished that blanket chest I started last year for a class. Built some Shaker hanging shelves and taught a couple of classes at American Sycamore late in the summer. However the last few weeks I've been working on a TV console for our house. The TV died about a month ago and to replace it with an up to date wide screen will require getting rid of the old too narrow entertainment center, replacing it with a console unit. It's about done. I finished the doors today and will mount them tomorrow Then it's time to finish it. Made it from Mahogony so it will get a darker red/brown finish.

I's nice to final have time to stop in and see how thing's are "flowing" at the creek.

Mac