Dwayne Cook
11-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi SMC

First time to post thread... wondering about Lasering on Acrylic Mirror
material. What is the differance between acrylic and PVC Plastics? :confused:

I know your not to laser on PVC's and Mirror finishes could damage the

Optics....

Talked by e-mail to Delvie's Plastics about Acrylic Mirror and they said

it would work fine... I think they have their own interest at heart. ;)

Dwayne Cook
epilog 24TT Corel X3

Bill Cunningham
11-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Dwayne welcome to the creek... Mirrors are usually lasered from the back, if you use the search function with Mirror as the keyword you will reap a host of information..

Joe Pelonio
11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
And the acrylic mirror cuts nicely. PVC contains Chloride which when heated turns to hydrochloric acid, which will corrode your laser and cause very toxic fumes. Any time you use an unknown plastic you need to check the MSDS to make sure it contains no PVC. Acrylic, Styrene, polycarbonate, ABS, and polyester can be lasered safely.

Dwayne Cook
11-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks Bill and Joe

I want to engrave text on the Mirror (in reverse) so that it shows good in front. has anyone used the colored mirror or should it be just the clear.

Dwayne Cook Epi. 24TT Corel X3

Mike Null
11-02-2007, 12:56 AM
I just did an order of clear without colorfill. I don't like it and I think my customer will either colorfill or use colored paper behind it when they put it in a frame.

Keith Outten
11-02-2007, 5:03 AM
Dwayne,

I use both silver and gold acrylic mirror often for sign work. Engraving from the back side works well then a simple paint fill to add contrast. I have also used matt board for some projects to add the background color, such as engraved wedding announcements. This will allow the customer to change the color by replacing the matt board behind the mirror in the frame.

When you get the chance, order some gold acrylic mirror. It is great stuff to keep in your inventory for cutting letters and for special occasion types of engraved mirrors.

Brian Robison
11-02-2007, 8:29 AM
Dwayne, click on my site I have several mirrors there.
The one with the cow is reverse engraved and color filled.

Admin: Brian add your link in your usercp.

Ryan O'Hara
11-02-2007, 1:45 PM
Brian, where did you get the carbon fiber for the trials bikes?

Brian Robison
11-02-2007, 3:56 PM
I made it, it's lasered black acrylic. Lots of little rectangles. Took a while to figure out.

Brian Robison
11-02-2007, 3:58 PM
Oh wait! You actually know what a trials bike is?
Hooray, I don't have to explain it !!!!:D