PDA

View Full Version : PM2800 Drill Press - The Final Chapter

Leigh Betsch
11-01-2007, 10:17 PM
From my earlier posts you probably know my disappointment with the new PM2800 DP. I bought one, too much vibration for a $900 price, exchanged it at the dealer for another, same problem. Then I called the warranty dept and asked for a replacement motor sleeve so I could just replace the defective part myself. No parts available, so they sent me another new DP and picked up my "old" one. Same problem. This one has .024" run out in the motor sleeve, the other two were .048" and .042". So it was some better but certainly not what I expect from an expensive machine. And to top it off the base has about .092 warp in the casting so it just rocks on the floor. So it's going back to the dealer on Saturday. I had 3 PM 2800's in the last 30 days and all three were junk. I may be pickier than most but if you are having problems like this from any tool manufacture please don't live with it, send the junk back. These companies need to get the message that we arn't going to live with cheaply built junk just so they can make a bigger profit. The sad part is for less than $20 they could have machined the sleeve and bottom of the base acuratly and this would be a great tool.
I'm completely done with the "New" Powermatic. As far as I'm concerned they have ruined an old company name. From now on it's old American iron, or European tools. Or maybe Harbor Freight at least then the price will match my expectations.

glenn bradley
11-02-2007, 12:27 AM
It really is disappointing that it took them so long to get it to market and then to hear so much negative experience from folks. Everytime I read a magazine review singing the PM2800's praises, my respect for that mag's reviews drops a big notch. Sorry for your trouble. My $300 Delta 17-950 has been a diamond in the rough. Very happy although I thought I wanted more quill travel . . . hmmmm, hasn't been an issue. Maybe I just got hung up on specs vs. reality.

SCOTT ANDREWS
11-02-2007, 12:40 AM
[ Maybe I just got hung up on specs vs. reality.[/quote]

Very good point Glenn.I think I've caught myself in those shoes before.How does your Delta DP do for you.For what I would use it for,I'm thinking that might be the way to go for me.

Don Bullock
11-02-2007, 9:39 AM
Leigh, thanks for the honest reviews you've posted on the PM 2800 DP. While I'm very sorry to hear that the machine is "junk" in your experience, it's good information for those of us who may have been interested in buying one especially at that price.

Keith Outten
11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Leigh,

Its just a thought but you may want to consider what I did. Many years ago I ordered a Grizzly bench mill/drill, the current model is G1005Z. Built for metal work but you get better tolerances, side loading isn't a problem and a table that moves in both X and Y directions. RPM from 110 to 2580 and a one HP motor that is very strong. I built my own stand from very heavy 6" angle iron, the mill/drill is a bit heavy at 435 pounds so you may want to purchase the stand if you can't make your own steel stand.

Obviously a mill has features you don't normally find on a drill press, once you get used to them you may be like me and never want another drill press again. You can clamp your part to the table then adjust it using the XY movement until it is right where you want it. I have built several wooden jigs that set in the table slots and allow me to machine keyholes on plaques, sliding them side to side and perform other repetitive tasks.

The price is $975.00 so it is in the ballpark of the machine you were unhappy with. The bonus is you can machine slots and drill large holes in steel, aluminum, etc. I also machine lots of Corian shop jigs using either router bits or end mills, (hint) end mills are much cheaper and made to higher precision standards.

Bill Wyko
11-02-2007, 1:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear that too. I have a PM2800 and the only trouble I had was the belt needed to break in. I left it running for around a 1/2 hour at around 1500 rpm and it was fine. Mine sits in a rolling tray but I've had no issue with imbalance at all. I did have an issue with a 64A table saw. The rail for the back of the table saw allowed the mechanism to hit the rail at 40 degrees and knock the arbor out of alignment. This was a case of poor writen instructions. Again, sorry to hear about your issues. Good luck with your replacement press.

glenn bradley
11-02-2007, 5:15 PM
[ Maybe I just got hung up on specs vs. reality.

Very good point Glenn.I think I've caught myself in those shoes before.How does your Delta DP do for you.For what I would use it for,I'm thinking that might be the way to go for me.[/quote]

Slight thread-jack. I'm very pleased with the Delta as you can see on this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448

and in these pics
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64635&d=1179190986

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64636&d=1179190997

I have link belts for it but have yet to put them on. I really like the tilting table features. Beear in mind that if you have to pay full-pop for the DP and the table you are darn close to the colst of a Steel City which I would have gotten had I not saved $200.

Leigh Betsch
11-02-2007, 6:51 PM
Leigh,

Its just a thought but you may want to consider what I did. Many years ago I ordered a Grizzly bench mill/drill, the current model is G1005Z.

Exactly what I'm planning. I was looking for a used Bridgeport before I settled on the PM2800. Now I'm back to the Bridgeport option. I'm holding out for a used full size mill for a while longer but I may end up with a Mill/Drill if I can't a full size mill close to home.
Another option I kicked around was buying a metal lathe to remake the defective PM part, but since I decided to return the PM I don't really need the metal lathe, but now I have the metal lathe itch....

Eddie Darby
11-02-2007, 7:16 PM
Mill/Drills are definitely looking like a better choice when you get up there in the $1,000 price range. Good point!

I would go to a machinist and have them run me a replacement part if I was stuck with a donkey of a machine.

Thanks for the great post Leigh !!:) I think they soup-up the machines that are being tested, and send the Monday and Friday machines to the regular Joe's.

Get those Link-Belts on so you can tell us how you find them.

Just 7 more months left to go until Delta can extend the due-date on there new Drill Press. :eek: :D

Keith Outten
11-02-2007, 9:34 PM
I went through four full sized drill presses trying to find the one I really wanted. The Mill/Drill was my 5th machine and will be my last. I could never wear it out and it hasn't ever failed to do any job that has come up whether wood or metal so it has become a permanent tool.