PDA

View Full Version : How to apply CA finish??

Les Kuesel
11-01-2007, 9:59 PM
I tried to do a search and still have questions. Can you use any brand of Ca like the stuff in the little tubes? do you sand between coats? thick or thin? what works the best to apply(I've heard people using vinyl glove's, wax paper to wal-mart bags) can you buff it? Any links would be helpfull.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-01-2007, 10:10 PM
First a question to you!

What are you wanting to finish with CA?

Bruce

Rick Gifford
11-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Finishing pens on the lathe, here is a great step by step:

http://www.penturners.org/content/CAFinish1.pdf

You can modify the application for many things. I know folks who have finished whole bowls with CA glue.

I haven't finished anything off the lathe with CA. I am sure with some effort it can be done ok. As Bruce asked, what exactly do you want to finish?

Lee DeRaud
11-02-2007, 1:29 AM
Can you use any brand of Ca like the stuff in the little tubes? do you sand between coats? thick or thin? what works the best to apply(I've heard people using vinyl glove's, wax paper to wal-mart bags) can you buff it? Any links would be helpfull.More or less in order...
1. Most of the "little tube" CA I've seen is medium to thick (see #3), plus the little tubes are too small for anything bigger than a pen and maybe not big enough for those.
2. Lightly sand between coats: you're just trying to knock down any nubs or dust in the CA itself at that point, jusr like any other finish.
3. Thin is best for finish, thick is best for filling holes. (I have no idea what medium is for, I never use it.)
4. I use paper towels, folded to 2-3" squares. Using gloves is a good idea, but not as the applicator.
5. Buffs great, and you don't have to wait a week for it to cure like you do with lacquer. (Accelerator is your friend...for lathe use, aerosol stuff from Rockler is a lot more convenient that the little pump bottles.)

Steve Trauthwein
11-02-2007, 9:28 AM
The trick to a CA finish is not sanding it off. I put on two coats of thin and three coats of thick with the lathe on 500 rpms, allow to set between coats, apply with a paper towel. I do not use blo as it has just clouded the issue for me. I sand to 800 grit and buff with micro mesh from 2400 to 12000.

When buffing with the micro mesh I immerse it in water prior to use, this
keeps the blanks cool and does not clog micro mesh.
Two coats of carnauba based wax as final finish.

Regards, Steve

PS Does not work well with oily woods!

Mike Wilkins
11-02-2007, 9:38 AM
I was watching NC Public TV last night where they highlighted a woodturner making some beautiful small bowls with solid and laminated wood/veneers.
He applied a thinner version of CA glue using his fingers as an applicator, with a follow-up sanding w/micromesh. I wondered about the condition of his fingers after viewing this. But the bowls sure looked nice.

Les Kuesel
11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
First a question to you!

What are you wanting to finish with CA?

Bruce
Bruce: I want to use it on smaller items like bottle stoppers, tops, pens and turkey call's. I've seen the finish on other items and it makes it look like glass. thanks

Rich Stewart
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
With his fingers!? Man! I can't stand getting that stuff on me. I get a drop on me when I am gluing a tube in and it feels like I am removing my fingerprint trying to get it off.

Jim Underwood
11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Eh.. be careful with that stuff.

1) Don't glue yourself to anything larger than you can pick up.
2) Keep the solvent within reach
3) don't breathe that stuff.

I had to quit using it much since I seem to be quite sensitive to it. I start wheezing...

That being said, Russ Fairfield has a pretty good summary of how to do it (he uses BLO). I wasn't able to make it work, so just used lacquer instead.

Found out later that I was sanding it all back off because I didn't have some 600 grit, and used 400. I also found out that the thin plastic foam packing works well as an applicator. I forget the name of it.

So far though, I have yet to actually try the new tips and make it work. :rolleyes: