PDA

View Full Version : Well, time to start over...

Jim Fox
11-01-2007, 7:36 PM
Ok, I am building this thingie below....

http://planesnsuch.com/Woodworking/work/bulletinboard.jpg

Progress was made...
Vertical members all cut out and mortised, no biggie...
Horizontal rails milled, tenoned and dadoed...
Feet cut, assembled and glued, ready to receive vertical posts...Then my usual screw up(s) occured...
Probably this all occurred because of lack of planning.......but I thought I was heading in the right direction. I decided to route a channel into the verticals from inside to inside of horz. rails to hold the backer panel for the cork board to be attached too. Well needless to say I got a little confused when routing and the router lurched a little bit in a couple places. Now I got these gouges that will be visible. Frick (as blond doctor would say on Scrubs)

So how to repair...
Option 1: Make dadoed side channels to cover up messed up channels, essentially creating a frame around the whole cork board area. This frame and panel would then attach to the posts with screws and plugs.......THUS.......minimizing the amount of additional materials.
Option 2: Create new posts, that are undamaged by me. Still create frame/panel combo that ends up getting double biscuits along the sides and attaches to the posts.
Option 3: Drink a lot of Makers Mark and Coke tonight. Go into work the next morning and say........you ain't getting this done for Monday (the start of our big sale week).
FYI....the individual bins weren't going to be done in time regardless. Those were going to be added later, but prep'd for in the building.

Just frustrated and looking for some support. Maybe a fire with this kindling I got to take the chill outta the air. :mad:

Bert Johansen
11-01-2007, 8:28 PM
The photo of the "thingie" didn't get posted with your text. Click on "Manage Attachments" and browse to find the photo. Then Upoad it.

Jim W. White
11-01-2007, 9:11 PM
Sorry to hear of the setback.

I say Option #1 sounds like a nice quick and thorough fix!

...save Option number 3 for something much more overwhelming; I'm sure after the initial dissapoint wears off, you'll have the solution knocked out and fixed in a couple of hours.:o

Bill Huber
11-01-2007, 9:20 PM
I really can not answer the question, only you can do that...

I have in my mind what I want an item to look like when its done, now if I screw up and its not looking like the way I wanted it to..... well I just start over and do it the way I wanted, if I don't it bugs me every time I see it.