PDA

View Full Version : What's next? (sort of a gloat)...

Michael Perata
02-09-2004, 9:58 PM
...two Christmas's ago my wife got me a Lie-Nielsen 102 Block Plane - wow!

I started a project with M&T and bought the Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2 Rabbet Block Plane - another wow!

This Christmas my wife gives me a Lie-Nielsen 112 Large Scraper Plane - love this woman!!

Last week I picked up a Lie-Nielsen 5 1/2 Jack Plane - really starting to have fun now. I have a pile of shavings on my shop floor that looks so good I don't want to sweep 'em up.

What next? Would you recommend a #3 or #4?

Mark Singer
02-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Your doing great! I would get the LN #164 ...it is one of their best and aventually get a #4. The #3 is just a smaller #4 ...I have an old Fulton #3 and use it only occasionally.
http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/graphics/ln164.jpg

Michael Perata
02-10-2004, 3:05 AM
I would get the LN #164 ...

Mark

Why the low angle and not the #4.

BTW - I bought a set of Sorby chisels from The Best Things - good service and prices.

Donnie Raines
02-10-2004, 8:48 AM
Man oh man.....does she have a sister(...wait a minute...I am already married :D ). But, i would go with the #4 1/2 smoothing plane with the York pitch. This is the cadillac of metal body smoothing planes....you will not regret it!!

DonnieR

Marc Hills
02-10-2004, 3:06 PM
Mike:

I say, put down the credit card and start making something with those wonderful tools! You are on the edge of a precipice, my friend. We joke about the slippery slope, but all kidding aside, take care that tool acquisition doesn't become an end onto itself. If tool collecting floats your boat, that's cool. But I believe that hand tools (even ones as beautiful as Lie-Neilson's) are meant to be used.

Remember that whatever your skill level, we are all part of a rarified fraternity; a group of amateur craftsman who are bucking the prevailing trend towards motorized tools. You're part of a movement that is reviving interest in the mechanical arts at a time when they are on the cusp of being lost to future generations.

You mentioned a M&T project. Tell us more even, if it's not done. Maybe post a picture, celebrate what you can do with the tools, not just the tools themselves!

So I say buy some wood next. Make something and share with the forum. Let your creative aspirations dictate what to buy next.

Alan Turner
02-10-2004, 3:14 PM
I'm with Donnie on this, and would go with the corrugated sole as well.

Michael Perata
02-10-2004, 5:00 PM
Mike:
You mentioned a M&T project. Tell us more even, if it's not done. Maybe post a picture, celebrate what you can do with the tools, not just the tools themselves!

So I say buy some wood next. Make something and share with the forum. Let your creative aspirations dictate what to buy next.

Mark

I actually use the tools I buy: The table I made for the wife in appreciation of her letting me have the shop, and the workbench I made in appreciation of my tool collection.

Chris Padilla
02-10-2004, 5:51 PM
Hey Mike!

Glad to see another Bay Area-er here. Rob Littleton is also a BA guy.

Very nice pieces you've created. The bench almost looks too purty to work on!!

Nice rack for your clamps...I see you've got about double what I have and I thought I had a lot! Love Bessey....

:D

Tyler Howell
02-10-2004, 6:48 PM
Michael Perata]Mark

I actually use the tools I buy: The table I made for the wife in appreciation of her letting me have the shop, and the workbench I made in appreciation of my tool collection.

There those CA Boys go again turning tools into fine furniture. :rolleyes: Michael what do you use those red things for, drink holders?? :D
Too nice to drip glue on!
To Nice!

Michael Perata
02-10-2004, 7:06 PM
what do you use those red things for, drink holders??

My neighbor lost her husband about 20 years ago. Larry was a great woodworking artisan and his workbench had these two Craftsman woodworking vices. She finally decided it was time to get rid of the bench and saw I was making my own bench and thought I could use them. These vices are from the era when the brand "Craftsman" meant well made.

Tyler Howell
02-10-2004, 7:20 PM
My neighbor lost her husband about 20 years ago. Larry was a great woodworking artisan and his workbench had these two Craftsman woodworking vices. She finally decided it was time to get rid of the bench and saw I was making my own bench and thought I could use them. These vices are from the era when the brand "Craftsman" meant well made.

Michael, That is good Karma. May your neighbors energy and skill guide you through your adventures.;)

Marc Hills
02-10-2004, 11:08 PM
That's what I'm talking about! Awesome! Nice clean lines on both the patio table and the workbench. And nice touch the way you designed the table to fit right over the cast iron umbrella base.

I agree with Tyler; by using those vises, you've restored some sort of karmic balance to a universe impoverished since your neighbor's woodworking husband died.

Now Mike; you just shared two very impressive projects with the rest of us, and revealed a neat little story about woodworking serendipity. Much more interesting than any tool purchase discussion, wouldn't you say?

I just think that discussions about techniques, projects and woodworking providence are much more rewarding than talking just about tools. I just don't get into the later. No siree, not me. No way. Oh, by the way, definitely either a 4 1/2 with a York pitch frog if you like to work with hardwoods, or the Lee Valley shoulder plane, since you are so fond of mortise and tenons. ;)