PDA

View Full Version : grizzly sliders?

James Reichman
11-01-2007, 7:33 PM
I'm currently looking to buy a slider. My shop (2 car garage) can work with up to a 10' slider. I looking at alot of brands. I cannot find many comments on the Grizzly G0451 & G0591. Any owners out there who could give me a review of these machines?
Thanks
James

Gary Curtis
11-01-2007, 7:46 PM
It's a brand new release from Grizzly. Probably not more than a dozen or so owners in North America. One of the wood magazines wrote briefly about it, but not a thorough or elaborate evaluation. Maybe someone on SMC knows which magazine.

Gary Curtis:)

Chris Zenda
11-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I was at a Grizzly location a couple of weeks ago and was looking at a slider they had on display and was not impressed.

Jim Kountz
11-01-2007, 11:03 PM
I was at a Grizzly location a couple of weeks ago and was looking at a slider they had on display and was not impressed.

Ok but would you elaborate some and tell us why? I was looking at them in the catalog and know nothing of them so a first hand account would be great!

Todd Solomon
11-02-2007, 1:07 AM
Here's a recent thread on Grizzly sliders. In a couple of posts, I give my impressions of the Grizzly sliders that I saw at AWFS in Las Vegas, along with a list of what I think makes a good sliding table saw...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=628324#poststop

-Todd

James Reichman
11-02-2007, 5:14 AM
Thanks for the help. They are off the list. Todd thanks for the link.Looks like Felder , MM , or a Martin (maybe leased:eek:)

Dick Sylvan
11-02-2007, 8:24 AM
If you can afford the Felder, go for it, their roller bearing slider is very smooth. I recently bought the Hammer combo, and, so far, have only used the TS (no good DC, yet). I have liked it very much, and I think other Hammer users feel the same way.

James Reichman
11-02-2007, 7:42 PM
If you can afford the Felder, go for it, their roller bearing slider is very smooth. I recently bought the Hammer combo, and, so far, have only used the TS (no good DC, yet). I have liked it very much, and I think other Hammer users feel the same way.
Did you consider the perform model. I think the k3 perform? That looks like a nice saw. I will be making the trip from nyc to delaware to see it. I'm a one man shop. But like everyone else I only want to do this once. So I'm leaning towards the martin , but the felder has a nice price. I would even consider the 700 series.
thanks james

Brad Shipton
11-02-2007, 7:56 PM
I was going to add that F&C did a review of the Hammer Slider/shaper until I noticed you mention the Martin. Whole diff league than I. Are you aware of the Felder Online Group? Many helpful Felder users there too.

fRED mCnEILL
11-02-2007, 8:07 PM
I'm not in the market for a slider nor probably will ever be but I noticed a comment by Chris Zenda saying he wasn't impressed. Fair enough. I also noticed a comment in the previous thread referencing Grizzly sliders where Chris referenced a picture of a Grizzly Slider and said the picture wasn't too flattering.

Pehaps Chirs could expand on what he found wrong with the slider and why he wasn't impressed. I, for one, would be interested.

Fred Mc.

Chris Zenda
11-02-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm not in the market for a slider nor probably will ever be but I noticed a comment by Chris Zenda saying he wasn't impressed. Fair enough. I also noticed a comment in the previous thread referencing Grizzly sliders where Chris referenced a picture of a Grizzly Slider and said the picture wasn't too flattering.

Pehaps Chirs could expand on what he found wrong with the slider and why he wasn't impressed. I, for one, would be interested.

Fred Mc.

Fred,

The construction of the fence is suggestive of an aluminum ladder and the slider was on the rough side.

The pic I referred to IMO shows defective finish, contrast this to a high end machine.