PDA

View Full Version : Source of Supply -- graduated but unlabeled rules

Alex Yeilding
11-01-2007, 6:50 PM
I would love to find some rules or tapes that do not have the numbers marked. All the "usual suspects" (Highland, Woodcraft, Rockler, and Lee Valley) have tapes for adding to jigs and fences, generally in 6' lengths, in either R->L or L->R. But if I want to have markings for 2" on each side of something, it rankles me to throw away 140" of tape, or to have the left side reading 72 to 70 and to have the markings on the next jig I build start with 2".

Anyone have any ideas for a source for such a critter? I DAGS on graduated inch rules, but didn't find what I am looking for.

I know, I know, wasting $10 like that is not the end of the world, but it's the principle of the thing, dontcha know?;)

Dan Barr
11-01-2007, 9:45 PM
if you find these things, please let me know. i could use them on my jigs as well.

that's smart thinking there.

I guess you could use a center finding rule and cut it in the middle to give you two rules, one that reads R to L and one that reads L to R. Might be difficult making a thin cut like that though. maybe just scribe the $%!& out of it and bend it over to break it. Now to find some cheap small plastic or metal center rules....

v/r

dan :)

Dale Lesak
11-01-2007, 11:00 PM
OK guy's I'll have do some looking to see if I can fine where I got them but I got a kit a lone while ago that had left and right read rulers there was three or four of each. Plus it had some 12" rulers that had no numbers just blank circles there the numbers should have been. That way you could have the ruler going up and down and have the numbers right side up, not side ways. I'm think I got them from Sears. they had a set of silhouette tool shapes that you could stick to your peg board to help get the same tool back to the same spot. I'll see what I can find :)

Jamie Buxton
11-02-2007, 12:13 AM
So, your hope is to stick down tapes with tick marks but no numbers? What are you going to do after that? I can think of two things:

1) Count up the tick marks to measure things.
or
2) Write numbers on the tapes, maybe with a felt-tip pen.

If you buy standard tapes (with numbers), you can do either of the two things above. You can count up the tick marks, just like plan 1. Or you can cross out the printed numbers and write in your own, just like in plan 2.

Alex Yeilding
11-02-2007, 9:07 AM
So, your hope is to stick down tapes with tick marks but no numbers? What are you going to do after that? I can think of two things:

1) Count up the tick marks to measure things.
or
2) Write numbers on the tapes, maybe with a felt-tip pen.
Mainly the former. In most cases where I would want the numbers (more than just a few inches), I'd probably just buy the appropriate tape, not mark my own.

Example: I'm building a router table and fence. I'd like about 4" worth of graduated rule for rough positioning of my fence. I'd put the center inch tick mark in line with the bit center, and then be able to rough-position the fence +/- 2" from the bit center, without too much counting involved. On my fence, I will have a wedge-based micro-adjust on which I will move the wedge +/- 4" to get +/- 1/4" movement of the fence. So I'd like an 8" length of graduated rule there.

If you buy standard tapes (with numbers), you can do either of the two things above. You can count up the tick marks, just like plan 1. Or you can cross out the printed numbers and write in your own, just like in plan 2.I absolutely agree. And the earth will continue spinning on its axis just fine if I end up doing that. But it would look so much nicer without the numbers.

Derek Tuchscherer
11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
How about buying and insetting 6" rulers? They come in all varieties, stainless, wood, plastic (clear and colored).

John Schreiber
11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
. . . I DAGS on graduated inch rules . . .
DAGS =? Did another Google search?

Mark Engel
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Not ideal, but it will work and it is cheap.

http://thetapeworks.com/PT85.htm

Gary Curtis
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Oregon Rule Company manufactures some pretty obscure merchandise. I didn't see what you describe on their website just now, but give them a phone call.

If they don't have it, they will know who does. 503 657-8330
All my shop machinery have adhesive mylar ruling from Oregon.

Gary Curtis

Tom Veatch
11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
DAGS =? Did another Google search?

Yep, just another of the ubiquitous online abbreviations. Also could be "Do A Google Search".

Roger Fitzsimonds
11-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi Alex.

try this site http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/ . There might be something for you there.

Good luck
Roger

Alex Yeilding
11-02-2007, 1:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark, that might work. Looks like the numbering starts over each foot, so you really get a roll of 150 12" rulers for $9. Hard to beat that, although I'm not sure about the paper backing.

Gary, Wow; Oregon definitely has lots of selection. And while I didn't see an ungraduated one, their prices are good and short lengths and L<->R are available.

Roger, it's kind of interesting; that is exactly what I just created for myself, thinking I would print on clear stickers from an office supply place, which should diappear under finish. And I could calibrate and put on the numbers or labels I wanted.