PDA

View Full Version : Router table: Question for the masses

Jeff Hamilton
02-09-2004, 9:00 PM
Hello all
I'm working on this Hamilton designed router table and I have run into a problem with drawer slide type. Should I use metal slides or the old traditional hardwood slides?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Jeff Hamilton

John Miliunas
02-09-2004, 9:39 PM
OK Jeff. I give up: Where's the router table you're working on? That looks more like a piece of bedroom furniture...High end, at that! Now, if it were just socks and underwear, I'd say go traditional and use wood. If, however, your router table (wherever the picture for *that* is :D ) is going to store a fair amount of bits, I think I'd go for some nice metal glides. Just MHO, of course, but I've always liked the "feel" of those in tool cabinets. Now, when you gonna' show us some pics of the router table you're working on? :D :cool:

John Weber
02-09-2004, 9:39 PM
Jeff,

That thing is beautiful, heck with the router, drop a sink in it and I'll put in my master bath. No great ideas on the slides, if it was a piece to the house I would say hardwood, but for the shop metal full extension would be nice.

John

John Weber
02-09-2004, 9:41 PM
John,

That is scary, great minds must think alike and at the same time...

John

Tyler Howell
02-09-2004, 9:47 PM
See What did I tell you!!!! The celebration of the Wood Wizard and his Tools. Everyone will have home crafted shop tools in all parts of their homes in no time. Just think Table saws in every kitchen.:p

Beautiful work. Go with the metal slides;)

John Miliunas
02-09-2004, 10:05 PM
John,

John

John,

No kiddin'! Right down to the exact minute! Must be the namesake thing or something like that. (I still think it would look great in the house somewhere!) :cool:

Kent Cori
02-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Jeff,

I used full extension slides on the large drawers and European slides on the small drawers. They work great and I'm glad I spent the extra $ over just a wooden guide. I bought them from Woodworker's Hardware. However, you'll need to size the drawers for the hardware/slide that you use.

Outstanding looking table BTW! ;)

Martin Shupe
02-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Well, I am working on a version of the Norm router table, getting close to glue up in a few more shop days. I was planning on posting it someday, but now that I have seen yours, I'll just hide it in the corner of my garage, and only take it out when I need to use it. If you ever come to visit, I guess I'll have to bury it in the backyard or something.

Seriously...if that is your router table, I can't wait to see some furniture.

FWIW: The router bit drawers in Norm's design rest on wooden supports that are glued (in my cased, screwed) to the sides of the cabinet.

However, the bottom drawers are big and designed to hold heavy routers, so he used metal drawers slides there. That is what I plan to do. I bought some at Rockler a few weeks ago for that purpose. I have never used metal slides before, so I will learn if it is difficult to install them.

I am thinking about installing them prior to the glue up. Is that a good idea?

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Jeff
That's absotutely a most georgecious router table.
In fact - as the rest of the group said "It ain't a router table, it's a piece of funiture."
Daniel
:D

Dave Avery
02-10-2004, 12:06 PM
I am thinking about installing them prior to the glue up. Is that a good idea?

Martin,

I've installed the slides before glue-up without problems. One thing to remember with metal slides...... err on the side of leaving a little more than 1/2" per side for clearance. It's much easier to shim the slide out than make the drawer smaller DAMHIKT. Dave.

Jim Hill 2
02-10-2004, 1:06 PM
Jeff, I would go with metal slides.
Are you going to leave us hanging about the cabinet? Give us some details man :D ! It looks like Red oak to me. If it is I have a suggestion. Fill the pours before you finish it. I built a cabinet that contains my Contractor table saw and router table. The dust gets stuck in the pours and I can't sweep it out. Just a suggestion. Now how about those details about this beautiful piece of work. Thanks for posting.

Jim

Byron Trantham
02-10-2004, 2:59 PM
Jeff,
Why on earth did you build this cabinet? Looks like to me that what ever you are doing works better than most us WITH a great cabinet! :D

You realize we expect to see something produced after you finish this great piece that is better than the cabinet itself! ;) Great job!!!!!

As to your question. I used wood runners in my router cabinet and they work just fine. Even with a bunch of 1/2" shaft bits, they move in and out very nicely.

Again, great job.

Rob Horton
02-10-2004, 6:12 PM
Fantastic job!

If you'd like to add a router lift to that fine table, the current issue of American Woodworker (http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/action.do?siteId=2222&categoryId=7006) shows how to build a shop-made version for less that $100. Supposed to rival the $200-$500 lifts that you can buy in stores.

Just tossing out some information.

Greg Heppeard
02-10-2004, 6:27 PM
OK...I only own a $500 router cabinet....I have tool envy...Must be worth at least $1200
What kind of top do you have in mind?

Martin Shupe
02-10-2004, 6:46 PM
Martin,

I've installed the slides before glue-up without problems. One thing to remember with metal slides...... err on the side of leaving a little more than 1/2" per side for clearance. It's much easier to shim the slide out than make the drawer smaller DAMHIKT. Dave.

Thanks for the info, Dave. I am working on the bit drawers now, but the slides and lower drawers are next. Mine won't be near as pretty as Jeff's, but it will be functional. (Not that Jeff's won't.)

Jeff Hamilton
02-10-2004, 7:11 PM
Hello all
Thanks for looking and for the suggestions. I will be going with the metal slides for the drawers. Jim to answer your question, the cabinet is made of white oak scrap lumber left over from Christmas projects. Bryan I will post a pic of my current table for you to lol about. As for details I will post more as the table progresses. I still need to consult with my good buddy across town, Terry Hatfield about the dust collection issue. I am concerned as other are about the sag factor of the top. I will be hanging an m12v in this cabinet. I would like to use phenolic but this stuff cost as much as corian or granet counter tops per SQ Ft

Jeff Hamilton
02-10-2004, 7:15 PM
Here is the pic of my current router table
Ha ha ha ...........

Terry Hatfield
02-10-2004, 7:23 PM
Jeffy,

Cool!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: It's made from my favorite wood and everything!!! Is that some of your "right of way" wood or did you actually buy it somewhere????

Consult you say????? You need to come visit anyway, or I need to come visit you........whatever....we need to get together. :D Seems like a long time simce we got to shoot the bull.

Terry

Chris Johnson
02-10-2004, 7:25 PM
Oh come now...this thread isn't a question...it's a drive-by! :D And a darned nice one at that. Excellent piece.

John,

John

Jeff Hamilton
02-10-2004, 7:37 PM
T,
I know that ya might not believe this but the white oak was dropped off at me ole shop by a buddy of mine that just move to eastern Arkansas.
I look at the pile and thought that I would have to buy a new skil saw blade after I cut this up for fire wood. This just goes to show you that there is always beauty underneath ruff sawn lumber. What does Sunday look like for ya? With Valentines Day this Saturday my day is full. I got some Ideas to run past you anyway for the fence and the top.
Jeff H

Chris Padilla
02-10-2004, 8:03 PM
Here is the pic of my current router table
Ha ha ha ...........
Now this is more in my league! :)

Terry Hatfield
02-10-2004, 8:21 PM
j,

Sunday afternoon is good for me if it's good for you. 'round 2 maybe???

I'm gonna be hangin' out at the KC woodworking show with my buds from up that way on Saturday, maybe I'll have a new toy......er....um....tool or something to show 'ya. :D

t