PDA

View Full Version : Need cirular saw advice

Izzy Camire
11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi Folks,
I need to get a circular saw. It will be for homeowner general purpose use.

I have been looking at the Porter Cable 325MAG or the Makita 5007MGA.

Anyone have any feedback on those saws or any other saws I should consider.
Izzy

William Jessup
11-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I have used my Makita 5007MGA for 5+ months. The powerful motor, low noise, cut depth and electric brake make this a excellent all round saw. I have found nothing negative about this saw. :D

William

Julian Wong
11-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Both are good saws, will give many years of use if you don't abuse the saws like I do ;)

Greg Narozniak
11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I have the PC and have had 0 issues with it. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

John Thompson
11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I have and like a PC because it's slightly lighter, but have used the Makita and like it also. Both would be an excellent choice and could depend on what's on sale if I ever had the need again which is not likely. And... I wouldn't kick the Milwaukee out of my considerations also as it fits the same bill as the PC and Mak IMO.

Sarge..

Randal Stevenson
11-01-2007, 1:22 PM
From seeing them used in the EZ forums, the big difference between the two is:
The Makita has a better depth of cut and is supposed to be a little less heavy and quieter.
The Porter Cable has direction adjustable dust chute.

I believe the Bosch dust chute will fit the Makita (Dino should know). If neither of those are a big deal, then I would price shop, as I think you would be happy with either.

Todd Burch
11-01-2007, 3:28 PM
I have three circular saws.

A Sears Industrial 5 1/2" circular
A Skil 7 1/4" Worm drive
A Festool 55 (whatever the model # is.. - the small one)

The Sears is my all-around saw. Ball bearing construction. Light+Small=Safe. Blades are easy enough to find for general purpose use.

The Wormy is my workhorse - cuts through nails, debris, etc. Heavy - takes two hands, but tough, tough, tough.

Festool is for pretty work. Doesn't come out that much to see sunlight, but shines when it does!

A 7 1/4" saw is easy to pick due to the availability of blades. For my wormy, I have a hardi-plank blade, a couple diamond edge blades, some metal cutting blades, and an assortment of cross and rip blades.

I would prefer a Makita over Porter Cable. In my opinion, they are much better. PC management got a heaping spoonful of beancounteritis several years ago and cut back on little things, like bearing specifications and quality.

Todd

Jason White
11-02-2007, 6:41 PM
Bosch 1677M.

JW

Hi Folks,
I need to get a circular saw. It will be for homeowner general purpose use.

I have been looking at the Porter Cable 325MAG or the Makita 5007MGA.

Anyone have any feedback on those saws or any other saws I should consider.
Izzy