PDA

View Full Version : McFeely's Screws in a Systainer

Scott Coffelt
11-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Don't think I have seen a post on this here. McFeely's is starting to build screw bundles shipped in Festool cases. They currently have this set for sale. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1300/Festool-Systainer-and-1300-Screws. They are also looking at other packages. Pretty good price. The case is $59 normally. If you throw in another screw package at checkout, you can get free shipping.

Gary Keedwell
11-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Don't think I have seen a post on this here. McFeely's is starting to build screw bundles shipped in Festool cases. They currently have this set for sale. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1300/Festool-Systainer-and-1300-Screws. They are also looking at other packages. Pretty good price. The case is $59 normally. If you throw in another screw package at checkout, you can get free shipping.
Hey Scott...That seems like a great deal. Now let's get a discussion on the merits of ordering yellow zinc....clear zinc...or unplated.:eek:
I'm serious...Which ones are you ordering?
Gary

Jim Becker
11-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Gary, I generally buy the yellow zinc. No particular reason outside of I like the color better than the silver screws...
---

I will have to check out that Systainer deal...sounds like a practical way to set up screw storage, particularly for those I don't buy in bulk.

Vijay Kumar
11-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Of the three finishes offered, the yellow zinc is the most corrosion resistant, and the uncoated one the least, with the silver (clear zinc in the middle). I personally would not get the uncoated one.

Vijay

Jamie Buxton
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't get it. The Systainer is a sturdy thing with a handle which good for portability. If you're an on-site tradesman, it might be worthwhile. But if you work in a shop, you're better off putting the boxes of screws out on a shelf, instead of putting them inside some other box which you have to open first. Or, if you really want to put them inside such a box, use the cardboard shipping box -- for a cost of, lemmee see.... free.

Gary Curtis
11-01-2007, 12:14 PM
You can save considerable money if you simply buy a McFeely's screw assortment. The pocket screw assortment comes in a very functional case. Not a carry case, however. But stout and logical.

I also own a bit of Festool gear. Unless you have a particular need, why spend the extra money. If you have other tools and you are carting around on top of your vacuum, perhaps then the idea of screws in a systainer makes sense.

By the way, I own more than a few Festools and have two of McFeely's assortments.

Gary Curtis

Dave Falkenstein
11-01-2007, 5:03 PM
I don't get it. The Systainer is a sturdy thing with a handle which good for portability. If you're an on-site tradesman, it might be worthwhile...

Jamie - You got it right - using a Festool systainer for screws is a really good way to store and transport screws for job-site use. And if you have other Festool systainers, the systainers lock together and transport easily. For in-shop use, I like used nut jars from Costco. And you get to eat the nuts first. Smile.

Gary Herrmann
11-01-2007, 6:32 PM
I really like McFeelys, but I don't know that I need a systainer. I do covet Festools tho.

I've picked up several of these at the local borg - same concept and you can see the contents.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00005QWYF/105-5727062-6135609?SubscriptionId=0B8B31S9QVGFY0FMK082

Chris Padilla
11-01-2007, 6:46 PM
For in-shop use, I like used nut jars from Costco. And you get to eat the nuts first. Smile.

I use peanut butter plastic containers for mine and I love the peanut butter in them! :D

Greg Carr
11-01-2007, 7:39 PM
I really like McFeelys, but I don't know that I need a systainer. I do covet Festools tho.

I've picked up several of these at the local borg - same concept and you can see the contents.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00005QWYF/105-5727062-6135609?SubscriptionId=0B8B31S9QVGFY0FMK082

I have several of these, regular and deep, which i built a cabinet for and fitted them on shelves so that they pull out like drawers. I like how you can remove the individual compartment and take it to where you are working in the shop.

Don Bullock
11-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I just got used to having my screws in bins like McFeeley's has for sale with their sets. For me they have become a great way to store a lot of screws. I'm not sure I'd like them in Systainers. Perhaps if I was hauling them to a "job site" I'd like them stored that way, especially if I already had a lot of Festool tools, which I don't.

Gary Curtis
11-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Being able to see the contents though the lid is closed is really nice. The McFeely cases offer that feature. I also bought some of the empty cases with movable dividers from Lee Valley. Cheap, modular, transparent case, high-took looking.

Gary Curtis

Bob Michaels
11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I use the same Stanley boxes as Greg but I use mostly the deeper version. I have about 35 of these, most set in individual drawers. I own several small commercial buildings in the Village I live in and it's really convient to have things organized in the shop, or portable by snapping the lid locks, when I do a little work on one of my buildings. I have one box set up with only square drive screws, one for only drywall screws, one for flat washers of all sizes, and others for lag bolts, carriage bolts, etc., etc. I love things organized and flexible and this really does it.

Scott Coffelt
11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
I have a full wall of those flip out clear bins you see at harware stores. I bought them from a store that closed. I know there are many folks here who take their Festools with them and thought they might like this deal. Not trying to create a debate on who likes what best. If the case is normally $59 dollars, that makes 1300 screws a $26. I plan on taking the screws out and putting in my bins. I'll have another systainer for other things and an option to put a selection in bins that fit the project I am working on when I need to be mobile. I've not added up the price of the 1300 screws, but venture to guess it's much more than $26. Add to that the bits and hand screw drivers included. Heck, one could take the screws and tools, sell the case for a discount of what one would cost new and still be ahead.

Also, McFeely's is looking into other screw bundles. They may do something with pocket hole screws.

Chris Padilla
11-02-2007, 10:33 AM
You're such a maker of trouble, Coffelt! ;)

Scott Coffelt
11-02-2007, 11:37 AM
You caught me ole lost buddy from the West.:eek:

Greg Cole
11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I tool have a handful of the Stanley carry case with bins that interlock in grooves in the lid, so if ya take out a couple of the little bins, the rest don't slide all over. I use these for mostly exterior hardware: carriage bolts, lags, decking screws etc.... but I also keep dowels, plugs etc in a couple small ones in the shop. They're cheap and pretty sturdy so long as ya don't set one free from the roof, DAMKIT.
The deal on the screws is a good deal, but I have yet to slide on the Festool slope... so the systainer is window dressing I don't need...... yet. :cool:

Cheers.
Greg

Rob Wright
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I have a full wall of those flip out clear bins you see at harware stores. I bought them from a store that closed. I know there are many folks here who take their Festools with them and thought they might like this deal. Not trying to create a debate on who likes what best. If the case is normally $59 dollars, that makes 1300 screws a $26. I plan on taking the screws out and putting in my bins. I'll have another systainer for other things and an option to put a selection in bins that fit the project I am working on when I need to be mobile. I've not added up the price of the 1300 screws, but venture to guess it's much more than $26. Add to that the bits and hand screw drivers included. Heck, one could take the screws and tools, sell the case for a discount of what one would cost new and still be ahead.

Also, McFeely's is looking into other screw bundles. They may do something with pocket hole screws.

I received mine last night. I think that this was a great deal.

When compared this to buying just the screws:

The do-it yourself dozen is $59

The empty systainer 1 is $59

100 more screws and an additional driver.

Anyway I do the math - this is a great deal. The plastic bins with the DIY doz is $71. A few dollars more and get a great portable solution that doesn't gather dust on my wall or workbench like the Akro Bins!

$0.02

- Rob

Dave Falkenstein
11-02-2007, 1:14 PM
The word at the Festool Owners Group forum is that McFeely's will be adding some other screw assortments in Festool systainers. I'm going to order mine just as soon as I see what the choices will be. I use McFeely's square drive yellow zinc screws for just about everything. The confirmat screws are great for melamine and MDF projects.

Don Bullock
11-02-2007, 9:03 PM
...Not trying to create a debate on who likes what best. If the case is normally $59 dollars, that makes 1300 screws a $26. I plan on taking the screws out and putting in my bins. I'll have another systainer for other things and an option to put a selection in bins that fit the project I am working on when I need to be mobile. I've not added up the price of the 1300 screws, but venture to guess it's much more than $26. ....

OK, you convinced me that it's a great deal.;) :D They also had a "Special Sample Assortment" for an extra $19 at checkout with "free shipping" on the whole order. I may now have enough screws for life.:eek:

Mark Smith, too
11-02-2007, 9:38 PM
I don't know, guys. You can put a dozen jelly donuts in a systainer. Head out to the hardware store with the old systainer in hand, "Just pickin up a few items for today's chores." You got the donuts and a great place to hide them from the wife and kids. Plus you can carry them out back when you've got a job there. What's not to like? Old man McFeely ought to be selling out of these! :D