PDA

View Full Version : Trick 'r' Treaters - Count dropping

Joe Pelonio
11-01-2007, 9:51 AM
Anyone else notice a big dropoff in the number of kids coming to the door last night? I'm not complaining, mind, you, more candy for me.

I remember back in the early '90s when my kids were still going, we'd take them out for an hour and still have 75-100 come to the door before and after
we got back.

Last night we had a total of 12, the doorbell rang only 7 times.

Our neighborhood has turned over some, 4-5 years ago I would attribute this to many of the kids getting older, but now many homes have been sold by empty nesters and replaced by people with kids, so it's not that. Maybe a tradition that's on the way out?

GERALD HARGROVE
11-01-2007, 9:54 AM
I had "0" last night. Typically we would get about 20 to 30, maybe it was the day of the week.

Scott Coffelt
11-01-2007, 10:02 AM
There were tons in our neighbor hood when I was out with my son. We had 30 to our house, which is low. Many of the neighbors turned their lights off early. Kids get smart and decide to walk down the streets with lights on. That's where all the kids were. I saw at 30 at one house alone, many houses ran out of candy in about an hour or less.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Joe.....It fluctuates wildly here from year to year......2 years ago we had about 6........Last year 20 or so........this year including our great granddaughter and a friends's daughter 6..........

Matt Meiser
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Since we are in the country we headed over to a nearby small town where my BIL lives--it was pretty busy over there. In the past month my daughter has gone three times--twice while camping and then again last night. Plus they had a "hobo walk" at school on Tuesday where they got candy, she went to an event at the library where they got candy and it seems like there was one other event too, but I can't think of it right now. By last night, she wasn't that into it anymore and we only went to about 20-25 houses before she was ready to be done.

Safety concerns, the price of candy ($7-something per bag?), and all the other events all probably contribute.

One good thing--all of the school districts in our county didn't have school today because of a teacher in-service. I wonder why they planned it for today? :D

Jim Becker
11-01-2007, 10:25 AM
We don't get any...simply because we live on a very busy road with no other children nearby. Professor Dr. SWMBO took the girls to the same new development around the corner that we took them last year to parade around in their new Indian outfits to gather sweets. There were apparently quite a few kids out there, however. (I did see a pretty clown behind a check-in counter at Chicago O'Hare last night and the dude boarding us was dressed up in 1950s "slick"...but neither was soliciting for candy...)

Chris Damm
11-01-2007, 10:55 AM
We haven't had any since the grandkids moved away. Of course they are the only ones we've had in 35 years!

Craig D Peltier
11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Anyone else notice a big dropoff in the number of kids coming to the door last night? I'm not complaining, mind, you, more candy for me.

I remember back in the early '90s when my kids were still going, we'd take them out for an hour and still have 75-100 come to the door before and after
we got back.

Last night we had a total of 12, the doorbell rang only 7 times.

Our neighborhood has turned over some, 4-5 years ago I would attribute this to many of the kids getting older, but now many homes have been sold by empty nesters and replaced by people with kids, so it's not that. Maybe a tradition that's on the way out?

Joe we had about 30 here in Duvall.Downtown was packed with trick or treaters around 530.Doorbell rung at 815 for last one.I heard it fluctuates alot.Dont forget alot more housing now too, so more neighborhoods to treat in, I guess its hit or miss type thing.

Nancy Laird
11-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I have to admit that I got home, closed the blinds, and spent the entire evening in the workshop running laser jobs. I'm not a "Halloween person" anyway, and with so many jobs pending, LOML and I didn't find it to be time-effective to be answering the door for beggers. I guess we are turning into old fogies.

Nancy (50 days)

Gary Keedwell
11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Nancy...You might have given them a startle if you answered your door wearing your face protection and your big gouge in your hand.:eek:
Gary

Nancy Laird
11-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Gary!!

You just gave me my biggest laugh of the day, thus far.

Never thought about that---I'll file that idea away for next year!!

Nancy (50 days)

Randal Stevenson
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I can't say what my neighborhood is like, I have had only one off since I lived there. But all over the areas I know, parents, work (we used to get them there), siblings, etc. it is down.

The news always comes up with scare tactics, and talks up the safe Halloween events. Then people visit the grandparents, and that tends to be it.

I asked my folks, and they had a few (neighbors grandkids), but most of them start shutting off the lights, when you see teenagers pulling up in vehicles and vans.
This used to be more of a holiday where people got to see how the neighborhood kids are growing up, now there are a lot of people who don't even talk with the neighbors.

Mike Dauphinee
11-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Our numbers seemed down this year. We had rain forecast for days, so I am guessing that many planned other venues like the many church gatherings around here.

One trend I do notice is the number of teenagers doing the candy runs. Seems like some of them are just in it for the candy. Oh well, at my house big kids get one each. For the little ones I just hold the bucket at eye level and let them pick to their hearts content. It gives me joy and apparently them too.

Art Mulder
11-01-2007, 1:50 PM

Yes.

Despite my best efforts at handing out candy, my kids once again came home with more than we gave away. I feel the sugar vultures circling...

Seriously, we always keep count, just for fun. We've lived in this neighbourhood for 9 years now. Previously we would usually get a number around 60-70.

Last year, the forecast was bad, but then it turned into a lovely night... but by then we suspect people had made other plans, and we only got 30 kids. This year, the forecast was fine, and it was a nice mild fall evening. But we still only got 30 kids. My wife took our four out, and she said it was much quieter on the street than previous years.

I've never gone myself, but I've heard from more and more people that they take their kids to the mall for trick or treat. :confused: Our lives are ruled by malls enough... I can't imagine going trick or treating there. :mad:

David Weaver
11-01-2007, 2:14 PM
We had exactly 70 last night in suburban Pittsburgh. Last year it was raining (this year it was not) and we had more. I don't know why we had fewer this year. Fortunately, we didn't have anyone who looked like they were about 25, and last year we had several of those. All of the kids this year were very polite.

Bob Childress
11-01-2007, 2:25 PM
The numbers aorund here have dropped drastically. We had 5 two years ago, none last year and none this year.

One reason is that our HOA puts on a Halloween Party at the Clubhouse every year, so many of the neighborhood kids end up there and then just maybe hit a few houses around their own. I notice many of the churches are also doing something, so I suspect it is a growing trend. Suits me okay, but it won't suit the candy companies. :rolleyes:

Lou Morrissette
11-01-2007, 2:47 PM
One group (8 kids) at my house at 6:10 and that was it. Love them Reese
Peanut Butter Cups!:p :D

Lou

Brian Weick
11-01-2007, 3:06 PM
When I was younger back in the 70's me and my brothers would come home with a grocery bag- full to the top and then some- there were kids all over the place- now, I probably had about 15 , there are a lot of older people in my neighborhood where I live so that's probably why the low count, but I also remember we had begers night - that's out. anything to get the Bosco. I'm a chocoholic and don't keep it in the house- the dark stuff-awwwwwww-drool! :eek:
Brian

Dave Anderson NH
11-01-2007, 3:31 PM
We had about 35 kids last night. Back 10 years ago the number was usually 60-75. As for getting the rest of the candy for myself. Help Police, I've been robbed.:eek: When I got up this morning Sue had already packaged up all of the leftover candy into 3 bags-each labeled. One each for my grandson and granddaughter, and one for the folks at my office. Not one stinking, lousy, measly piece for me. Help Police, I've been robbed.:eek:

JayStPeter
11-01-2007, 3:44 PM
We get a ton. We're the nice new neighborhood in an area with lots of non-neighborhood houses (suburbia invading the country). So we gave out every bit of 7 huge BJs bags of candy. The streets of our 'hood look like a street festival. It's pretty fun for the kids and many neighbors put on quite a show.
Unfortunately, there are many rude people who come in and drive around following their kids, too lazy to get out of their car on a beautiful night. Not only annoying, but dangerous.

Brian Weick
11-01-2007, 4:11 PM
, there are many rude people who come in and drive around following their kids, too lazy to get out of their car on a beautiful night. Not only annoying, but dangerous.

Jay,
I noticed that- what the heck is up with that- do they think about anything else but themselves- what about your child? Totally agree with you Jay. That really upset me- I feel bad for the little ones that walk alone, what kind of parents are they?
Brian

Joe Pelonio
11-01-2007, 4:26 PM
It sounds like most places were down, and we too noticed the kids that did come by were younger. We didn't have the first one until it got dark about 6:30, and closed at 8pm since there had been none for over 1/2 hour.

I did find out that the local large software company (many people in our area work there) had a "bring the kids" party at the main campus, so maybe they got enough treats there and are using that as a substitute for going door to door.

Brian Robison
11-01-2007, 4:52 PM
We got 4 total!
Being a Wednesday night in the Bible belt meant a lot of kids were at Church. (we should have been there too!)

Bob Childress
11-01-2007, 4:56 PM
Jay,
I feel bad for the little ones that walk alone, what kind of parents are they?
Brian

Well now, I may be old but I can certainly remember my first Halloween walks and I know full well that I pleaded and begged my parents NOT to be anywhere around! :D Go away! I'm not a baby!

I admit that driving after them is not safe, but don't judge the parents just because they weren't holding the kid's hand. That kid may have been like me. :p

Cary Falk
11-01-2007, 5:01 PM
Our numbers have been decreasing each year also.

Curt Harms
11-01-2007, 5:15 PM
but have become ol' fuddy duddys the couple years. We got greedy teenagers after about 7 p.m. and just started leaving the lights off. i told my wife I'd like to build a "cave" leading to the front door about 3 1/2 feet high and anybody who couldn't walk thru it upright was too old for trick or treat.

Mike Henderson
11-01-2007, 5:56 PM
We had a bunch of "trick or treaters" this year - so many so that we ran out of candy. Had to turn the lights out before all the trick or treaters were finished.

It just seems to vary - some years we get a lot and some years not so many.

Lots of cute kids and costumes this year.

Mike

Charles Wiggins
11-01-2007, 7:13 PM
We had FIVE kids last night! That's the most we've had in the four years we've been in our place. Of course, we live on a dead end road with only five houses, and I have the only child under sixteen.

My co-worker's daughter is up from Charlotte and she said they had a "Safe Neighborhood" thing where the police blocked the roads off from traffic, and they had over 500 kids from all over the area!

Wes Bischel
11-01-2007, 7:58 PM
Gee, we have around 130 - 140 each year, and that's not even a high mark in our neighborhood! Our street normally has only one or two cars parked on it - but Halloween night, there isn't anyplace to park for a few blocks!

Wes

Mike Dauphinee
11-01-2007, 8:10 PM
Gee, we have around 130 - 140 each year, and that's not even a high mark in our neighborhood! Our street normally has only one or two cars parked on it - but Halloween night, there isn't anyplace to park for a few blocks!

Wes

LOL, you guys are marked and prolly on some web site somewhere for the best candy:D

Jim O'Dell
11-01-2007, 8:16 PM
We haven't had many for years. It doesn't help that the LOML teaches piano until 8:00 most evenings, so it's hard to do. She used to dress our 2 oldsters (Irish Setters) up in human clothes and let them answer the door with her. They were taller than a lot of the kids! (and better mannered than most :eek: ) We now live in an area where there aren't that many kids, and are on a dead end section back at the back across a creek. Most people don't even know there are houses back here. :cool: Jim.

Earl Reid
11-01-2007, 9:01 PM
We lost count at 130, I make small wood cars for the kids and gave out about 100 of them. We started making the cars in Chicago , back in the 80s and I think I've made nearly 2000 of them. :)
Earl

Joe Mioux
11-01-2007, 9:22 PM
I miss the big turn out.

this year, very few. Less than 10 groups.

I remember my days as a TorT'r, we gathered up in grooups of maybe 5 kids and we worked our tails off collecting candy.

Parents? they were nowhere around. We did it on our own and had lots of fun.

I seem to remember a that our town had a two day trick or treat night.

all souls day and all saints day night.

Anyway, my kids have been with their mother on halloween night Trick or Treating, while I manned the candy at our house.

Its a shame kids can't "pack" together anymore without parents' fear of something bad happening to them.

joe

Tom Veatch
11-02-2007, 3:15 AM
Ahhhh....one of the joys of country living! We've been at this location for 21 years now and have NEVER been afflicted with trick-or-treaters. LOVE IT!!!!

Norman Hitt
11-02-2007, 5:06 AM
For the first time EVER, we had "0" last night. I was really surprised that the doorbell never rang since there were always wave after wave of kids working our street in the past, (most of whom were from another part of town and had been driven to our street by their parents).

My wife has a second job (part time) that she calls her Hobby Job, in a store in the Mall, and when I told her there were no T or T'ers this year, she said she wasn't surprised, since most of the stores in the Mall gave out candy and there must have been 2,000 or more kids in their costumes, plus their parents, going from store to store while she was at work there. I guess that is more "Time Effective" than walking around the neighborhoods in the dark.:D

Bryan Berguson
11-02-2007, 7:28 AM
In our small town of about 4500, Halloween is very big. They always have trick or treating on the Saturday around the 31st so the hospital can decorate. They decorate on a theme and then the kids walk through and get candy and trinkets. Alice in Wonderland one year, this year was "The Holidays", something different every year. The volunteer fire department also opens its doors and gives a full sized candy bar - they gave out over 1000 this year. This all follows a costume parade up main street. My boss had 525 kids and ran out of candy at 7:15pm. The busisnesses in town had scavenger hunt for the adults that I heard was quite popular this year.

We consider ourselves lucky to live near a town like Wellsboro PA. They are able to pull off big events like this. The first Saturday in December is Dickens of a Christmas. They close main street to traffic and have all kinds of vendors selling crafts and food items. They also have wagon rides around the boulevard. All vendors are dressed in period clothes and of course this all goes nicely with our gas lights. The town averages around 13,000 vistors to this one day event.

Bryan

Jason Roehl
11-02-2007, 8:32 AM
RE: the subject

Who is "Count Dropping?"

I'm the Scrooge of Halloween. I did the ToT thing as a kid, when it was fun and innocent (for the most part) 25 years ago. Now, it's turned into a celebration of death, IMO, so we ignored the doorbell the other night, and my kids have never had the pleasure (?) of begging for tooth decay.

Jim Becker
11-02-2007, 10:54 AM
My wife has a second job (part time) that she calls her Hobby Job, in a store in the Mall, and when I told her there were no T or T'ers this year, she said she wasn't surprised, since most of the stores in the Mall gave out candy and there must have been 2,000 or more kids in their costumes, plus their parents, going from store to store while she was at work there. I guess that is more "Time Effective" than walking around the neighborhoods in the dark.:D

Actually, I heard a radio article recently about this...Malls and other shopping facilities are doing this to draw traffic as retail sales have been hit by the real-estate induced economic issues. They figure that out of the hoards of "candy seekers", some percentage of them will take advantage of "location" and spend some money...

Robert Goodwin
11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Just moved into a new place, lots of kids in the area. One kid :confused:

Rick Gibson
11-02-2007, 8:38 PM
When we were in Oshawa - 5 years ago we would see between 20 and 30 kids. We lived on a main drag near the end and the houses ended on the other side about 4 up from us. There is no way those kids would walk to the end of the street and then walk back 11 or 12 houses without any treats. They would just cross the street and head back in the other direction. Worked or me...

Now that I moved small town of 900 still only see between 20 and 30. Next to no teenagers this year. Once they start or I get 1/2 hr without any of the small kids we turn the lights off anyway.