PDA

View Full Version : Fein MultiMaster......Is it worth it?

David Duke
11-01-2007, 9:28 AM
I recently got a job that is going to require cutting several sections out of the baseboard with it being removed. I was looking at the Fein MultiMaster and it seems as if it may be what I need although somewhat pricey. Anyone have any experience with this tool or have any recommendations as to what to use?

Thanks in advance

frank shic
11-01-2007, 9:37 AM
david, the fein multimaster may seem a bit pricey, but consider how much your time and back are worth! you can accomplish the same process with a flush trim saw cutting vertically until the tip of the saw bonks into the flooring at which point you will have to chisel out the remaining piece. the multimaster works much more quickly and the older version can be found on ebay and craigslist if you have the time and patience to wait. blades are expensive, but you can actually make them yourself by cutting a piece off a cheap backsaw from home depot and boring a hole for the arbor. if you've got a lot of baseboard molding that will need to be trimmed in place, it's a major time saver. i bought mine off of a fellow creeker several months ago.

Glenn Clabo
11-01-2007, 9:55 AM
Best tool I've bought for remodeling. Extremely well built. I keep finding ways to use it.

Mike Spanbauer
11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
An amazing tool. I've actually an extra now as I had a little assistance on a job recently that required 2 (wife assisted). PM me if you're interested in buying a slightly used, but excellent shape unit for a great price.

mike

Randal Stevenson
11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Might also see if any tool rental places carry one. I do see the need for a couple of future projects, but am waiting on a bargain or closer to them. This is one tool, that I would really like to try before buying (see if I could justify the cost verse use).

fred woltersdorf
11-01-2007, 12:37 PM
i've had one for 5 yrs now. i originally bought it to undercut some door jams because i was tiling the floor. since then i've found many use's foor this tool such as using a scraper blade to get under a bathroom sink to remove it without breaking.it's also a good little sander for hard to get into places and on and on.with the quick blade change and the new star blade attachment it's even better. you can get aftermarket blades on ebay for about $18 ea that are very good.buy one, you'll wonder how you did without it.

Greg Sznajdruk
11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Before you buy check out the price for replacement blades. Sticker shock is the term that comes to mind.

Greg

tom kumpf
11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Don't use mine for much more than sanding in tight spaces, can't get it to sand without leaving swirl marks so I rarely use it

Gary Keedwell
11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Don't use mine for much more than sanding in tight spaces, can't get it to sand without leaving swirl marks so I rarely use it
:D I wonder how many people are in your boat Tom, but don't want to admit it. People go to great lengths (exaggerations) to hide (justify) purchases. Sometimes LOML will see a tool and say "don't you have that tool, Gary?" and I will sheepishly say, "oh ya hon, I use it all the time" ;)
Gary

Stan Smith
11-01-2007, 6:18 PM
I've got the saw blades and yes they are pricey. If you have to cut into a tight space so as only to replace part of a board. they are worth every penny. The other attachments are really nice. I use mine for sanding in tight spaces all the time and I've even used the grout tool. This is an excellent tool and so is their vacuum. Really works well on the scms for dust cleanup at about 85%.

Scot Ferraro
11-01-2007, 7:53 PM
I think that for specific jobs, when you need it you need it. I found it to be invaluable when I had to grind a mortar bed on my kitchen counter before I installed my granite tile. The rasp was the tool for this job to level everything and smooth the old thinset. I also had to use the saw blade to make some cuts at a wierd angle that would have been impossible or near impossible without it. If I were buying it just for a detail sander, there are other options that are out there and worth a look. But for other types of jobs, it might be the best option.

Thanks!

Scot

Bob Michaels
11-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Best tool I've bought for remodeling. Extremely well built. I keep finding ways to use it.
absolutely agree with Glenn. It's the best tool I've ever used for remodeling and general repairs. The blades are pricey, but the performance is simply amazing and a tremendous time and hand labor saver. OTOH, don't bother buying it just as a detail sander.

Vernon Taylor
11-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Have one,have used it for many tasks. I know the price is high but their is no competition that I know of. I am going to take a stab at fabricating my own blades as mentioned in another post.

frank shic
11-01-2007, 11:32 PM
vernon, search on the jlc online finish carpentry forum for "multimaster blade" and you'll see how one guy details the entire process with pics.

Steve Sharp
11-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Frank, Found the site ( very cool - had not been there before) but failed to find the link to the blade making article. Can you provide a little more help with it's location. Thanks, Steve

vernon, search on the jlc online finish carpentry forum for "multimaster blade" and you'll see how one guy details the entire process with pics

Glenn Clabo
11-02-2007, 6:41 AM
Take a look at this guys idea...
http://home.comcast.net/~dldecker/fein.html

Glenn Clabo
11-02-2007, 6:53 AM
Tom,
I'll be the first to say that if you're just using it for sanding...it has some limits. However, you are probably getting swirl marks because you aren't getting down to fine enough sandpaper. Any sander will leave swirl marks with too coarse paper. Try it and see if that helps.

frank shic
11-02-2007, 9:50 AM
great link, glenn. thanks!

Grant Morris
11-02-2007, 10:57 AM
It's on sale at Amazon right now for $278.95. Apparently that is 33% off!

Dan Lautner
11-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Bosh makes a flush cut saw for about a third of the price. A sharp 2" chisel will also work.

Dan

jason lambert
11-02-2007, 2:58 PM
I have a bran new one the big kit, I thnk model MSXE-636-2VSXL. Will sell just the tool or the kit. Long storie but I wound up with two of them about a month ago. Amazon gets $279 for them on sale $250 + Shipping and it is yours. PM me.

Ken Deckelman
11-02-2007, 3:38 PM
Bosh makes a flush cut saw for about a third of the price. A sharp 2" chisel will also work.

Dan

I have that saw, and have used the MM. For doing door jambs and base molding the Bosch is great, I even use it to cut 1/4 round instead of setting up the miter saw (I have the whole "kit")
But, for plunge cutting, like when I installed jamb switches in closet doors, the MM is the ticket! The Bosch will not do that. I know a sharp chisel will-but the MM does it better and faster.

Jeff Wright
11-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I have a bran new one the big kit, I thnk model MSXE-636-2VSXL. Will sell just the tool or the kit. Long storie but I wound up with two of them about a month ago. Amazon gets $279 for them on sale $250 + Shipping and it is yours. PM me.

Amazon currently showing this at $225.00 (as of 10:45PM ET).

John Emmerson
11-03-2007, 5:01 AM
In the UK, Bosch have recently introduced a very simular tool, the PMF 180E, at about half the price. Not sure if it's available in the US.
I have found it very useful for plunge cutting and restricted, close to edge cuts.
I believe the blades are compatible with the Fein although I have not tried this.
John