PDA

View Full Version : nut on Starrett Combination Square?

Jason Stoller
11-01-2007, 8:41 AM
I just got this new square but I can't figure out what the nut on the end does. (in the picture, it is in the white circle) When I turn it nothing happens. Any ideas?

thanks

Jason

Mark Singer
11-01-2007, 8:43 AM
Jason,
It is a scribe, You can pull it out and use it to mark lines etc. Just like a marking knife or awl

lowell holmes
11-01-2007, 1:06 PM
Frequently, they are lost. :-)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2007, 1:52 PM
Jason,
It is a scribe, You can pull it out and use it to mark lines etc. Just like a marking knife or awl

Frequently, they are lost. :-)

Mark's right and Lowell's right too! Mine is lost and I miss it! Wished I had another one!:o

Bill Houghton
11-01-2007, 3:52 PM
And here we could have told you, Jason, instead of taking your question seriously, never to touch that part, because you'll cause the square to come apart.

this is one of those features that seems better in theory than in reality. In my limited experience, these scribes are useful only when you are out back beyond the barn and realize that you forgot a scratch awl, marking knife, or pencil, and don't want to trudge back to the shop. They're way too small for the average fingers to use usefully.

They are, nevertheless, a neat little touch.

harry strasil
11-01-2007, 4:42 PM
I used to have problems loosing them in the ones I used in the blacksmith shop so I used my pliers and bent the stem just a tad to make a nice tight fit, never lost another one. FWIW

mike darling
11-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Both the scribe and the brass insert that retains it can be ordered as replacement parts directly from Starrett. The brass insert can be tensioned to hold the scribe more securely to prevent future loss. These parts are relatively inexpensive, though I do remember there being a minimum order of $5 or $10 as well as a flat rate shipping charge of the same amount.

-mike

Jim Knishka
11-02-2007, 1:09 PM
I wound a couple turns of tape around the awl to keep it snug and in place, even though I have never used it.

By the way, keep it away from Gorilla Glue - it stains the blade. (I know that I'm not the only one - I bought a used planer and brought my square to check the beds. Prev owner had also had a Starret - I looked at mine to see if I had the right one when I left - he said don't worry, I know mine because it has these glue stains on it...)