PDA

View Full Version : pine log finish?

Ryan Hovis
11-01-2007, 7:33 AM
planning on building something similar to the log furniture Cabela's sells for $1300 apiece, any suggestions? their stuff has medium hardness clear finish, will polyurethane allow the logs to darken over time?

Russ McGeoch
11-07-2007, 9:26 PM
Haven't checked lately, but I know that a couple of years ago the stuff Cabela's sells was made by Mountain Woods. They offered on their own website a choice of oil or polyurethane finish. I've been building stuff out of pine logs for a while now, the poly will darken some over time, not as much as the BLO.

Just found these forums about a week ago. Already learned a lot. Decided to register and chime in.

Russ

Steve Schoene
11-08-2007, 7:12 AM
With pine logs I'd want to start with shellac to help seal in resins from the wood. If not kiln dried even that may not be enough. That's possibly why Cabela's uses Aspen and some other woods instead of pine.

If you want darkening, a darker shellac would add some richness. Generally shellac would make a good finish for this furniture, I'd think. If you want more protection over the shellac I'd use a wiping varnish. One of the Waterlox varieties would be good, depending on the sheen you are looking for. Waterlox comes in Satin, Original/Sealer, a nice mellow semi-gloss, or Gloss. (For easiest wiping you would probably need to thin the Gloss a little.)