PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #2, Boiled Spalted Apricot

Joel Sauder
11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Well here is my second bowl. This is a gift for a landowner who let me hunt his property this fall. I hope a little bribery will get me an invitation to come back next year. It is spalted apricot with a cool black nail stain, 4.5in tall, 7.5in across. Antique oil finish and Beal buffed. I have been experimenting with boiling to mimimize cracking. This is the first rough out that I have turned to competion after boiling for an hour. Just a couple of hairline cracks that were even to small to fill with sawdust, only noticeable to the trained eye. I happy with the result of the boiling so far. The third picture is of a boiled apricot rough out to be turned in the future, you can see that boiling only removes the color from the outer 1/16th or so.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Joel....Nicely done!

I was just talking about you with your "technician". He, his wife and little Kaley came over "trick or treating".

Tim A. Mitchell
11-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Wonderful grain and nice finish. I think that bowl will help get you invited back.

robert hainstock
11-01-2007, 9:20 AM
NICE PIECE, INTERESTING IDEA. I HOPE MY NEIGHBOR, STEVE SCHLUMPF SEES AND READS IT. HIS WOOD PILE HAS A NUMBER OF GEENWOOD BOWL STARTS THAT HAVE CRACKED. MAYBE BOILING THE BLANK IS THE ANSWER.
BOB:o

Mike A. Smith
11-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Really nice Joel. Fancy grain displayed very well.

Paul Heely
11-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Nice job Joel. The grain is really nice looking.

Frank Kobilsek
11-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Ken,
I think your student is going to pass you up if you don't get Mr. Mustred running pretty soon.

NIce bowl Joel
Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Frank......I don't think Mustard has a thing to do about Joel exceeding my meager turning capability!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

David Fried
11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Joel,

Nice Bowl, good lines and beautiful wood. Great job!

Ken - The color of your lathe has EVRYTHING to do with your ability :D
Mustard will suck right out of you !!! :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Joel the bowl is a beauty. The wood and finish is great. Well done.

Bob Hallowell
11-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Joel, Wow my second bowl looked nothing like that- great job!

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2007, 1:07 PM
Beautiful bowl Joel! Love the grain! Should be just the ticket to get you back into your hunting area this year! Nice work!

Steven Russell
11-01-2007, 2:54 PM
Hello Joel,

Welcome to the family of green wood boilers! :D Glad to hear you're doing well with the protocol. I've boiled thousands of bowls since I first published my protocol many years ago. It has been one of the major success factors in my production bowl studio, allowing me to work with difficult timbers with near zero drying defects (cracks).

The protocol has been well received all over the world by woodturners and even by some large commercial mills in foreign countries to process exotic timbers prior to exporting. It's well proven and reliable and does not require expensive setups or chemicals. :D I've been testing a newly updated protocol for boiling that uses a thermal shock cycle prior to boiling, I hope to have my results published early next year.

If you have any questions about boiling, please do not hesitate to contact me. My website has two articles on boiling green wood to reduce drying degrade, if you have not had a chance to read them yet. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Steve Russell (aka "Dr. Boil")
Eurowood Werks Studio

Tom Sherman
11-01-2007, 9:02 PM
Looking good Joel, very nicely done.

Skip Spaulding
11-01-2007, 9:56 PM
A great bowl, must be the hunting was good!