PDA

View Full Version : Behing the Scenes - New Yankee Workshop

Darrin Davis
10-31-2007, 10:18 PM
I found this website that has a few videos about the NYW. Russell Morash give a tour of the shop and talks about thing in the shop that most never get to see. The only problem is the videos take FOREVER TO LOAD!

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6465875.html?nid=2878

Enjoy!

Jeff Norri
10-31-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks, neat littel videos (they downloaded super fast for me):)

Mike Circo
11-01-2007, 8:50 AM
HA!!!

The download was worth it to see to see the messed up piece that Norm signed.

"I do make misteaks."
(His spelling)

Very fun.

Keith Starosta
11-01-2007, 9:16 AM
I liked the videos very much. The "cameraman" was a bit distracting, though. I was questioning his knowledge of the subject when he asked Russ is they ever used the variable speed drill press for router bits... :eek:

- Keith

Jeff Norri
11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I liked the videos very much. The "cameraman" was a bit distracting, though. I was questioning his knowledge of the subject when he asked Russ is they ever used the variable speed drill press for router bits... :eek:

- Keith

LOL I have to agree there, I got a kick out of that too. He asked a few stupid questions.

Jim Becker
11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
You can also do "psudo live" behind the scenes viewing while they are taping the actual NYW projects at their web site (http://www.newyankee.com).

C Scott McDonald
11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I wonder if Norm does Autograph signing appearances. Say what you will but he inspired a lot of people to start woodworking including myself.

Gary Keedwell
11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I wonder if Norm does Autograph signing appearances. Say what you will but he inspired a lot of people to start woodworking including myself.
I'll second that!!!! Some people think it is trendy to mock Norm...but I can think of no one person who has inspired more people to get into woodworking then good old Nawm:)
Gary

Bill Wyko
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
He does have some fantastic skills. Plenty of little steps that save big time too. Between Norm and David Marks you just can't go wrong.

Ken Baker
11-01-2007, 1:42 PM
Norm will be at the Rockler Store in Orange California - tomorrow Nov 2 from 3PM to 7PM.

Neil Lamens
11-01-2007, 3:49 PM
I'll second that!!!! Some people think it is trendy to mock Norm...but I can think of no one person who has inspired more people to get into woodworking then good old Nawm:)
Gary

Count me in too...............what he has done to get people involved just GREAT!!

Eric Larsen
11-01-2007, 5:09 PM
Gary

Yeah, but now I get funny looks when I ask my lumber supplier for some "bawds."

"Well, Eric, how many 'bawds' do you want?"

"Oh, I need a lawt of bawds."

Tim Mummert
11-01-2007, 5:20 PM
Norm will be at the Rockler Store in Orange California - tomorrow Nov 2 from 3PM to 7PM.

Ken, I guess you and I used to be neighbours.....I moved to New York in 2002 from Villa Park......used to live off Cerro Villa Drive.

I have always wanted to meet Norm...guess I'll just have to wait.

Drew Armstrong
11-01-2007, 6:10 PM
I love Norm... have watched him for years and last year finally built a 24 x 24 second garage so I could play Norm in real life. This is another fun Norm site... www.newwookiee.com :D

Drew

Drew Armstrong
11-01-2007, 6:19 PM
Sure... I laughed as well but woodworking is not his deal... Thus the reason we get the back scene look at his set up... I have a friend who is a dealer who won a trip back there in November to watch a live taping of a show etc from Delta...They are serious about not telling where it is taped... he says they take you there in a van with blacked out windows. (I am not sure I believe him though) I believe it is in Lexington as when you search the IMDB that is where it shows it was shot and it is close to the university. Not that I am headed over there to take videos or anything... I shook Norms hand in Vegas at the AWFS show this past summer... totally nice guy.

Drew

Chris Padilla
11-01-2007, 7:06 PM
Someone could sneak a little GPS locator to the shop....

Darrin Davis
11-01-2007, 7:14 PM
I once found a link on the internet that showed the location of the New Yankee Workshop in Google Earth but after looking at it really close I could not make myself believe that it was really the shop. It was in a suburb of Boston but the location of the tree in front of the shop and the woodstorage shed to the side wasn't in the pic as far as i could tell. Neither was the shed he build just outside the door.

Chris Padilla
11-01-2007, 7:23 PM
Norm has a "deal" with Google Earth.... ;)

Bill Brehme
11-01-2007, 8:59 PM
NYW is filmed in an underground missle silo somewhere in the Nevada desert. The accent is a diversionary ploy...;)

Theres also been reports of simultaneous Norm sightings on opposite coasts.:confused:

Yep, time travel...

Eric Larsen
11-02-2007, 12:36 AM
NYW is filmed in an underground missle silo somewhere in the Nevada desert. The accent is a diversionary ploy...;)

Theres also been reports of simultaneous Norm sightings on opposite coasts.:confused:

Yep, time travel...

Norm isn't mortal, so I wouldn't rule time travel out.

The main thing I got from this thread is -- NINE GLORIOUS EPISODES OF KITCHEN REFINISHING THIS YEAR. Boo-Yeah!