PDA

View Full Version : Spoke shaves and shaving planes

Anchor Sarslow
10-31-2007, 9:51 PM
I am going to be buying some older Stanley spoke shaves and shaving planes as I have started the making of my own furniture and need somethng for spindle shaping.

The common numbers I have been seeing are #60, 64 and 151. I am not sure if all 3 of these are true spoke shaves. I am pretty sure the #60 is.

The shaving planes I am familiar with are the #12 and #80.

My question(s) are.

Will I have a preferrence for a particular shaving plane (most of the lumber I want to work with is curly maple, walnut and Oak. with a few oddities thrown in.

The spoke shaves, I have no idea wha t I want or am particularly looking for. I know I get both a flat and concave shaver with the 60 and that is the extent of my current knowledge.

Help? Edjamacate me please.

Clint Jones
10-31-2007, 10:27 PM
I would start out with a 151 spoke shave and a no.80 cabinet scraper. Both will be less than 20 dollars and are good tools. The 151 is easy to make fine adjustments. Buy tools as you need them, these should serve you well until you decide that your project calls for something else. -Clint

Derek Cohen
11-01-2007, 3:30 AM
Among the vintage Stanley shaves, the standout model is the #53 (and #54, but the handles are not as comfortable). These models have adjustable mouths, which make it possible to take a fine or thick shaving at a twist of a knob.

Otherwise for difficult grain have a look at the HNT Gordon shaves.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Joe Meazle
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I will back Clint up here. The 80 type scraper is a great way to start scraping and will make that curly maple look great.

I don't really like the way the handles are oriented on the 151 though. I'd agree that is a good shave on short money. I was able to get a pair of Veritas spokeshaves (round and flat) right here on the SMC classifieds (apologies to Rob Lee for not buying new) and have not touched my Stanley shaves since. They are more money but I think it is money well spent.

Pam Niedermayer
11-01-2007, 1:01 PM
You may want to check out Brian Boggs DVD on drawknives, spokeshaves, and shaving horses. Great video on how to use and sharpen.

Pam

Bill Houghton
11-01-2007, 9:39 PM
I sold my 151 (Record rather than Stanley, but they're essentially identical). I found the adjusting nuts got in the way on tight inside curves. I use a 52, a straight-handled version of the 51 - which is like the 151, except it doesn't have the adjusting nuts. In my opinion, it handles better than the 151 - lighter and more agile, doesn't hang up in tight spots. It doesn't take long to learn to set it by eye or touch, and, once it's set, you can leave it there, because, when you put it down, it flops over on its back and the iron doesn't touch anything. Store it in a way that keeps the iron from getting hit (My tool drawers have those foam drawer/shelf liners that you can get in the kitchen department of any housewares store, and of course dirt cheap at Target or Wal-Marr, and the shave doesn't move around).

This is one of the many hand tool slippery slopes. There are those who swear by old-style wooden low-angle shaves, for which there are several kits available if you have trouble finding an original old one, or would like an old-style but brand new shave. There are also the Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen shaves, very nice according to reviews, but your wallet will get a lot lighter. There's also a Lee Valley aluminum-bodied modern interpretation of the old-style wooden shaves, which I find a little fussy. I will not mention how many I own...

I wouldn't seek out the "double shave," with one straight and one concave iron - awkward in use (I gave away the one I got after trying it out). The concave shave is handy, though not necessary.

Regarding the Stanley-type shaves (51,52,53,54,151, etc.), the tendency is to grip the handles as if the shave is a bicycle and push like that. I learned from a Fine Woodworking article years ago that the proper grip is as follows: lightly pinch the body at the sides of the iron between thumb and forefinger. Push and control angle with the thumb/forefinger combination. Use the handles as a convenient place to drape the rest of your fingers. This grip will allow you to feel and intuitively adjust the angle at which the shave is approaching the wood, and is incredibly effective.

Besides being a slippery slope, spokeshaves are another of those tools that are worth using because they're such a pleasure to use.

Anchor Sarslow
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks all on the information.. I am finding almost ALL of my hand tools to be a joy to work with.. I feel far more accomplised than I do with my power tools. well with the exception of my lathe.. which when I do accomplish something IS a feat in itself.