PDA

View Full Version : Call to all Robust lathe owners.

Matt Hutchinson
10-31-2007, 7:59 PM
I have just started a woodturning business, and I am loving it. I have an awesome lathe, but it's old (see Turning Group Members and Their Lathes). It's great for bowl work, but it has issues with spindle work. Granted, I haven't done many tweaks and upgrades, but they would run a couple thousand dollars and up. So I was thinking that I would get a new one. So far Robust is winning the race. I personally don't find the Oneways as impressive as people make them out to be. (Sorry Oneway owners.) In fact, I know of one owner who tried everything he knew, including hiring a professional woodturner, to try and get a large unbalanced black to run well enough to turn. Maybe it was a lemon, but something in the headstock assembly wasn't able to handle it. With that knowledge I looked into what seems to be a better choice. I have corresponded with the president of Robust, and I am liking the features and engineering innovations. I was hoping I could get some personal stories and opinions of those who already own one. I am especially interested in pushing its weight bearing ability. Has anyone done HUGE outboard work on it? Thanks all.

Hutch

Neal Addy
10-31-2007, 8:18 PM
Someone please pick Andy up off the floor.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2007, 8:21 PM
Matt.......at the price of a Robust what you mean is ......CALLING ALL BOTH OF 'EM! I had the opportunity to turn on Chris Hartley's Robust American Beauty in June at this home in Houston. They are an impressive machine!

Would somebody volunteer to give CPR to Mayo Andy?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Matt Hutchinson
10-31-2007, 8:37 PM
I agree that at that price it better be an awesome machine.

Now, I am a new member to this site, and I don't know everyone very well, but I hope I haven't deeply wounded my fellow turners. :) I am not trying to Oneway bash. I do believe they are excellent lathes, but I honestly feel that for their prices they should be better. Especially considering how many years they have had to tweak and refine their features and engineering. That being said, if Robust lives up to what they say they can do, I think the extra cost is worth it. Moreso for one who will be using it for their full income. That one being me. :rolleyes: If I put up $5000.00 for a machine that will do almost anything, but could have spent $2000.00 more and gotten a lathe that can do everything, then it's worth it. That's my philosophy. Now I just need to get someone to corroborate or disprove my findings. I don't mind being wrong, I just don't know how much mass a Oneway can handle. Of course, there's always the VB36, but that's too specialized for my fledgling business.

Thanks y'all.

Hutch

Neal Addy
10-31-2007, 9:11 PM
Matt, no real harm done but for penance you will have to drink a case of Moxie. In one sitting. While chanting "I love Mayo, I love Mayo...".

;)

John Shuk
10-31-2007, 9:42 PM
I have never before heard anyone complain of a problem like that with Oneway. They are nice machines but I would be more inclined to buy something with either a sliding or swivel headstock. I'm finding that I like to be right up in front of a bowl when I'm turning.

Shannon Grizzell
10-31-2007, 9:58 PM
When a Oneway does chuck wood?

Ok, sorry couldn't resist the old cliche. :D

Matt, visit this site for a good indication of what a Oneway 2436 can handle:
http://www.onegoodturn.ca/howidoit/v1.html

For outboard work, check out this one:
http://www.onegoodturn.ca/howidoit/p1.html

EDDIE GLAZE
10-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Matt, I Own A Onway 2436 And Have Had Issues With It From The Time I Got It. I Would`t Buy Another One. Oneway Is Not The Only Way. The Outboard Side Has 6000 Series Bearings Which Are Smaller Than The Inboard.6200 Which Dosen`t Make Much Sence,considering, Inboard 24" Outboard 48". You Might Want To Checkout Vicmarc, They Have Tapperd Roller Bearings Which Give You More Bearing Surface, Www. Vicmarc.com Lots Of Acc.

George Guadiane
10-31-2007, 11:14 PM
I have never before heard anyone complain of a problem like that with Oneway. They are nice machines but I would be more inclined to buy something with either a sliding or swivel headstock. I'm finding that I like to be right up in front of a bowl when I'm turning.
Our club AWA owns a oneway with a 12 inch swing. I don't know a single club member (or other demonstrator) who has really liked working on it. I also know that we have had recurrent "issues" on it... Now, in fairness and full disclosure, I am a very happy mustard monster user:D, but still, there are other lathes that I have liked better that the mayo monster.

Steven Wilson
10-31-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm sure you can find wood that would unbalance a Robust lathe as well. There comes a point when you need to make sure that you have a lathe engineered for the blank you want to turn. If you're trying to find the one "ultimate" lathe for everything then you're entering on a journey with no end. The best you can do is find a lathe that is flexible enough to handle most things that you want to try. My Oneway 2436 and I'm sure the Robust are flexible enough to meet most needs. Of course if your tastes run towards bigger turnings then you should look at the older Oliver pattern maker lathes, redo the electricles on them, get the bearings in shape and you'll be able to handle projects not properly suited for a Oneway or Robust.

Matt Hutchinson
10-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, I have considered the Vicmarc, but I am not that drawn to it. I don't know why. It has nothing to do with the aesthetics, I just am not sure I want to spend $4500 on such a basic, traditional lathe. I think when I step up I would prefer to have a few more bells and whistles. Normally bells and whistles take a back seat to what I need a machine to do, but not with this time. :p I'd rather save up for an even better machine. Not only that, but I think that even though the Vic has tapered bearings, I am guessing that the Robust bearings would handle more. I don't know if I'm right on that one, though.

As for the other guys who are not so satisfied with Oneway, would you mind elaborating on the specific issues? Thanks.

Hutch

Matt Hutchinson
10-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Steve:

I actually already own a lathe that's almost equivalent to an Oliver pattern maker's lathe. Check it out on the third page of "Turning Group Members and Their Lathes". Also, I know I won't be able to do absolutely everything on one lathe, I just was curious to see which lathe could be pushed the most and what each lathe's weaknessess are. If I do find myself delving into bigger and bigger work, then I would be ready to purchase a more specialized lathe, like the VB36 or an Oliver 121. Or is it 122? Anywho, I just want to see if I can have my cake and eat it too. :D

Hutch

EDDIE GLAZE
10-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Matt, Laguna Tools Make A Lathe Called The Pinnacle.it Dose Just About Every Thing. The Phone # 800.234.1976. I Talked To A Guy Named Richard Otto. He Sent Me Broshurs And A Video On All The Tools They Make. Just Another Suggetion. Happy Turning.

Jude Kingery
11-01-2007, 3:11 AM
Matt, might do your research carefully and listen to the guys and girls who have some experience - just a suggestion. And yes, the VB is an incredible machine, it's great. I took more than a year to decide on it and never looked back, very pleased. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, you get what you pay for. Best wishes. Jude

Christopher K. Hartley
11-01-2007, 8:49 AM
Matt, I am a Robust American Beauty owner and love it. I have only had a chance to turn up to a couple of 24" dia. X 18 in long log to date. The machine is all Brent has told you and if I know him he hasn't bragged on himself much but let me tell you there is no better service anywhere that I have found. The VB is also a great lathe but with the exchange rate you really have to watch yourself with it's price. Mine is fully tricked out so PM me any questions and I'll be glad to get back to you. I also have a fair number of threads on here about "Beauty" so you can see her up close. I'm in Houston and would welcome you to come take a ride if you are ever here.:)

Brian Weick
11-01-2007, 9:55 AM
You said "LARGE" turnings, I am not familiar with the Robust lathe, I only know about these lathes through Chris ~ . I don't mean to ruffle any "feathers" on here but have you considered an Oliver? A 2257 or a 20B, I only say that because you said you want to turn "large" blanks on the outboard side. You can turn up to 22" inboard and any size on the outboard size "within reason". they also come with a carriage on the bed ways which is a real cool feature on these lathes. I don't know what lengths you are shooting for as far as spindle length - the 2257 can go as far as 52" (roughly) and the 20B -72" (depends on the original order). the swing inboard usually is.
the draw back on these lathe is they are very heavy 1 ton and up, but they will not want to dance with you when you put an out of balance piece of stock on her.
If you opt for a lathe with less weight and don't care about a carriage- based on what I have read on here about certain lathes- If it were me I would go for the "Robust" lathe. It seams that there are a lot of cool features on this lathe and along with it's ridged construction make it a very "high end" professional piece of wood working equipment.
BW

Paul Engle
11-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Matt , check out Serious Tool Works , this would be an American made also. http://www.seriouslathe.com/. they are in Medford OR. check em out. I do not have any financial or other intrest in this company, ( cept I like their gouges ) .

Frank Kobilsek
11-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Matt,

The line in your orginal thread that caught my eye was 'starting a woodturning business' and in a later responce 'full-time income'. I've written the business plan, I've studied production work opportunites in the area. I've calculated the potential output of work I could produce if I worked at it 10 hours per day six days a week. All that said the Catholic Republican Engineer MBA in me just can't take the leap. Good luck, I wish I could muster the guts to take the step you are taking, but it would be a dumb move for me (at least on paper).

There is an old joke about farmers that might work here: 'What's a woodturner do if he wins the lottery? Keep turning until he runs out of money."

I don't mean to discourage just curious how you have come to the decision. One local businessman that I do small production runs for kept encouraging me to quit the real job and turn full-time. I asked him how he came to his business. He kept getting laid off and was doing it part time. On one occasion when called back to his real job he didn't have time to go because the part itme gig had him so busy. Then he realized he was in business. So I explained the salaries and benefits paid in the corporate world and he quickly changed his encouragement to strike out on my own to 'you can do this when you retire'.

Again I wish you well.

Frank

Jim Becker
11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Matt, Laguna Tools Make A Lathe Called The Pinnacle.it Dose Just About Every Thing. The Phone # 800.234.1976. I Talked To A Guy Named Richard Otto. He Sent Me Broshurs And A Video On All The Tools They Make. Just Another Suggetion. Happy Turning.

Unfortunately, the Pinnacle (http://www.lagunatools.com/pinnacle.htm) is represented as something beyond what I'd find "comfortable" to turn on, IMHO. It's like a fine production spindle machine, but it's design, etc., is not what I'd really want for bowls and vessels. And at $9K...it's way over the top. I don't prefer the big OneWay either, but I'd take it in a heart-beat over the Laguna machine for a variety of reasons; especially because in the high-end lathe space, a great deal of credit has to be given to companies who are dedicated to "the sport". Laguna doesn't have credibility in that respect.
-----

OP, the Robust is getting a lot of good press and reviews from owners. It's a fine machine. David Ellsworth recently put one in his studio and Bill Grumbine also has his now. And given you can order it in the custom configuration you need for the work you intend to do, it's worthy of your consideration. (If you were not needing the large spindle capacity, I'd also suggest you look at Stubby)

Bob Hallowell
11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Matt , check out Serious Tool Works , this would be an American made also. http://www.seriouslathe.com/. they are in Medford OR. check em out. I do not have any financial or other intrest in this company, ( cept I like their gouges ) .

Wow! Ithink I have a new dream lathe to lust over!!:eek:

Bob

Reed Gray
11-01-2007, 12:33 PM
When I went to Portland this summer, I wanted to check out 2 lathes for if and when I upgrade from my PM. They were the Robust and the VB. Oneway wasn't even considered, because they don't have a sliding headstock. The VB looks like it could take more abuse than the Robust, but the difference is so close as to not really be a factor. The Robust is more of a combination lathe which will turn large bowls and large spindles. The VB, although it can turn spindles is more of a bowl lathe. The only other lathe I would consider is the Nichols lathe. John Nichols quit making lathes several years back because he lost too much business to Oneway. I saw one of his lathes. He would custom make them to whatever specs you wanted. Don't know if he would still make one or not, or if there are any used ones out there or not. Last time I talked to him, he had one in the shop that was returned because the turner retired and wanted to travel. He was told to sell it whenever he could. All this being said, I would take the Robust. I will probably never turn to the full capacity of that lathe. Bowls in the 24 inch range are more of a specialty market, and don't move that well for me. My PM is a little light weight for the turning I do, I abuse it severely. To date (after almost 8 years) I have gone through one set of headstock bearings, and one speed control switch, and one on/off button assembly. I never use the tailstock when turning bowls, so getting that off and on isn't a problem for me, just an inconvenience.
robo hippy

robert hainstock
11-01-2007, 2:24 PM
HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE WOODTEC No1? TSARTING AT $4771+ w three hp and in one variation up to $8639.49 weighing over 800lb it seems to be as the manufaceturer states, "THE WHOLE ENCHILLADA".:D

Phil Powell
11-01-2007, 2:34 PM
Matt,
I've been turning on my Robust 25 for more then two years. I've never
regretted the purchase of my lathe. I mostly turn bowls in the 12 to 20
inch range and for that this lathe is a work horse. Never a burp! You
should also consider the Serious lathe it's also a great machine. No sliding
headstock but very solid and powerful. The headstock on my Robust is
parked about half way down the ways and I rarely move it from that
spot. In that position I'm allowed to work from the side or the end of the
lathe while turning. Oh, by the way being able to swing the tailstock out
of the way is an excellent option and I wouldn't be without it. Phil

Bill Wyko
11-01-2007, 3:10 PM
VB-36 if you want to turn big. Try googling VB-36 lathe. you can turn a forest on that thing.

Ralph Lindberg
11-01-2007, 6:06 PM
Wow! Ithink I have a new dream lathe to lust over!!:eek:

Bob

Bob, It is an impressive lathe, more so even then the earlier model. But, might I suggest waiting? You will note that it hasn't starting shipping yet.

The guys that are currently running Serious are not the guys that used to run the firm, which is neither bad nor good, just a fact.

The also run the business part time. That is they have another job to pay the bills, as they attempt to build Serious into a going concern.

Also (this last if a bit hazy), but as I recall from talking with them, this is lathe is actually made in a job-shop plant, overseas. To their specification, what this might mean for parts I have no idea. They should be using standard, easy to come by parts, but that doesn't mean they are.

If they make a go of it, and produce a quality product. Great for them, but...

That being said, I find their modular camlock tool system VERY impressive, as are all of their chisels (having had a chance to play with them)

Brian Weick
11-01-2007, 6:25 PM
I have just started a woodturning business, and I am loving it. I have an awesome lathe, but it's old (see Turning Group Members and Their Lathes). It's great for bowl work, but it has issues with spindle work. Granted, I haven't done many tweaks and upgrades, but they would run a couple thousand dollars and up. So I was thinking that I would get a new one. So far Robust is winning the race. I personally don't find the Oneways as impressive as people make them out to be. (Sorry Oneway owners.) In fact, I know of one owner who tried everything he knew, including hiring a professional woodturner, to try and get a large unbalanced black to run well enough to turn. Maybe it was a lemon, but something in the headstock assembly wasn't able to handle it. With that knowledge I looked into what seems to be a better choice. I have corresponded with the president of Robust, and I am liking the features and engineering innovations. I was hoping I could get some personal stories and opinions of those who already own one. I am especially interested in pushing its weight bearing ability. Has anyone done HUGE outboard work on it? Thanks all.

Hutch

Matt,
what happened with the Oliver (turning members and thier lathes) did that fall through/
Brian

Bill Fleming
11-01-2007, 6:29 PM
I too have been looking and evaluating different lathes and like the Robust as well but the others mentioned are still in serious consideration on my end. So a few questions to others who have provided great comments and insight to this thread:

Shannon - very impressive use of the Oneway - if you were to do it again today would you still go with Oneway?

Chris - I too like the American Beauty - you got all the bells - any you would defer just because you haven't used as much as maybe you thought? Did you get the tailstock bore option?

Jim - The Stubby looks like a great option as well - do you have the 750 or 1000 model? and have you had the problems with the banjo or have you implemented the fix? Is your Stubby bolted down or just sitting on the floor and can it be moved with add-on wheels or such similar to Oneway or Robust?

Jude - The VB does look like an amazing machine - do you think that unless you are turning very large or heavy items that it can also just sit on the floor or must it be bolted down? Any experience with the optional bed extensions?

All look like great options - like Robust and they are a short drive from me, like the Stubby size, like Oneway's history and that they simply build lots of quality products for turners and wouldn't it be fun to turn a giant bowl on a VB..... choices choices.....

Cheers - Bill

Jim Becker
11-01-2007, 7:45 PM
Jim - The Stubby looks like a great option as well - do you have the 750 or 1000 model? and have you had the problems with the banjo or have you implemented the fix? Is your Stubby bolted down or just sitting on the floor and can it be moved with add-on wheels or such similar to Oneway or Robust?

I have the Stubby 750. The Stubby 1000 is special order only and very difficult to come by at this point. And from a practical standpoint, 30" swing (inboard) on the 750 is quite enough for anything I'd ever turn. The 750 also has more flexibility relative to spindle height. I've had no issues with my tool rest bases. Mine is not bolted down...it doesn't move no matter what I mount on it. I do have a Vega mobile base in the closet that I can use to move it, but I'd never have any kind of wheels on the ground. (I use a car jack to raise it off the floor if I need to assemble/disassemble the mobile base under the machine) Further, it's not a great idea to move a lathe around outside of very occasionally. Most folks don't realize it, but cast iron bends. When you move a machine, unless you have an absolutely flat and true floor, you may be "bending" the machine out of alignment. (the centerline of the spindle to the centerline of the tailstock) This is quite true with the Stubby.

Jude Kingery
11-01-2007, 7:52 PM
Jude - The VB does look like an amazing machine - do you think that unless you are turning very large or heavy items that it can also just sit on the floor or must it be bolted down? Any experience with the optional bed extensions?

Hi Bill, sorry, just now caught your question. We bolted ours to the floor. It weighs about 400 lbs. without the tail stock, but we bolted it so I can do larger items and just to be on the safe side anyway. I don't have any information on bed extensions (we have a very small shop) but I did buy the shorter tail stock last year and it's nice. I mostly like bowls, platters, things like that so the bowl lathe with almost unlimited capacity was/is what I like(d) about it. VB fits what I like to do. It'll drive anything and the limited amount of spindle work easily. Best to you! Jude

M Toupin
11-01-2007, 8:14 PM
Why mess around with the little stuff Matt? Since you already got a bit of rust in your blood go large!!! The only downside I can see is the cost of that new crane to load a log on it...:D

Curt Fuller
11-01-2007, 8:24 PM
I agree that at that price it better be an awesome machine.

Now, I am a new member to this site, and I don't know everyone very well, but I hope I haven't deeply wounded my fellow turners. :) I am not trying to Oneway bash. I do believe they are excellent lathes, but I honestly feel that for their prices they should be better. Especially considering how many years they have had to tweak and refine their features and engineering. That being said, if Robust lives up to what they say they can do, I think the extra cost is worth it. Moreso for one who will be using it for their full income. That one being me. :rolleyes: If I put up $5000.00 for a machine that will do almost anything, but could have spent $2000.00 more and gotten a lathe that can do everything, then it's worth it. That's my philosophy. Now I just need to get someone to corroborate or disprove my findings. I don't mind being wrong, I just don't know how much mass a Oneway can handle. Of course, there's always the VB36, but that's too specialized for my fledgling business.

Thanks y'all.

Hutch

I'm not trying to burst any bubbles here, but I've seen beautiful work done on everything from home made machines to mega expensive lathes like the Robust or Oneway. But I've always had the impression that it was the person standing at the lathe that made the biggest difference.

I also think that if you're expecting the brand or price of mass of a lathe to compensate for trying to turn something too big or too far out of balance, there's a good chance you're going to get hurt.

Don't know if that's corroborating or disproving anything but it's just the basic laws of physics.

Jim Becker
11-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Curt, you are absolutely correct that great work can be done on almost any lathe. What folks get when they choose to go to a custom machine (which is what Robust, Stubby, OneWay, etc., all are) is the next level of smoothness and far more weight and mass than you get with almost all mass-produced tools today. That contributes to smoothness and also allows for more creative situations, especially with off-balance work. It's just a choice, however, and each turner needs to judge what they want in a lathe.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-02-2007, 8:20 AM
Bill I wouldn't forgo any of the bells I now have but I did not get the tailstock bore but wish I had. I could have already used it. I just did not know it was available then. :)
I...Chris - I too like the American Beauty - you got all the bells - any you would defer just because you haven't used as much as maybe you thought? Did you get the tailstock bore option?...:)

Andy Hoyt
11-02-2007, 9:32 AM
...... I just don't know how much mass a Oneway can handle. Hutch Plenty.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66633&d=1182314305

TYLER WOOD
11-02-2007, 9:47 AM
Nice Andy. Is he turning a toothpick??? That's about the size log I need for them.

Reed Gray
11-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I did see on another forum that Laguna has an 18 inch lathe with a sliding headstock, long bed, maybe 60 inches, and 2 hp DC motor for about $1600. Looks interesting. I did look at the Serious lathe, but no sliding headstock. Did look at the Woodtec lathe, but their tools all seem to be given fair ratings, never good, in the tool reviews.
robo hippy

ROY DICK
11-03-2007, 9:25 PM
When it comes down to it, is it(really the lathe or the skill of the turner?).

Roy (JET 14-42 AND LOVE IT)

PS: A NEWBIE

Matt Hutchinson
11-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I was gone for a couple days, but now I can respond. :)

First of all, I would appreciate if you who respond to my postings actually read what I have written.

Secondly, I know the skill of the turner has a lot to do with it. I am looking for a machine that will give me the most options for growth. I am aware of the Woodtek, Laguna Pinnacle, and Serious. They don't seem to be as versatile...except maybe the Woodtec. But I do appreciate the heads up about these.

Also, earlier I mentioned the Oliver 121 or 122....I meant the 22 like is shown in M Toupin's posting. Actually, one was for sale about a month ago. Probably still is. There is also an Oliver with 24" swing and 22 feet between centers for sale. You just need $18,000!!!!

Frank, about the whole full time issue. I don't haven't corporate anything in my life. Never will. No degree. Besides, I am 27 and have mostly worked for myself up to now. I love it!!! Plus, I am married, but have no children. It makes the risk worth it because I don't have many expenses. However, as the business is getting off the ground I do have a part time job at a learning center teaching math and reading. And the area I am in has enough work to support a specialized business like a woodturning shop. Goodness knows money and benefits are great, especially when you have a family, but I am content to live without them for the time being. So is my wife. Granted both of us would love to have them right now, but I have an opportunity that I don't want to pass up. If I were in your shoes I would feel the same way. That's partly why I am going for it now. Ten years from now I would not be able to take the risk.
I am also am one of those people who like this philosophy: Find what you love to do, and figure out how to get paid for it. :)

To Andy Hoyt: I see what you mean. However, that piece is still only a couple hundred pounds. But that is the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks.

Brian: The Oliver I was purchasing was a metal spinning lathe. It was a great deal, but I had to withdraw my offer (which they had accepted) because a debt that has been looming over me for 5 years finally called me out. So I have to pay them...NOW. Ouch. But that's what I get for postponing paying them. It's still possible I could get it, but I think another person who is interested in it has made an acceptable offer. It makes me so sad.....

I thank everyone for their contibutions thus far. I find it exciting and informative to have people so interested. And please, keep the opinions and information coming. :)

Hutch

Benjamin Dahl
11-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Matt, I think your philosophy is a good one. I am not at a point where I would go full time for woodturning but I have been able to make some money to support my habit. Depending on what your market is, the Robust sounds like a good choice, especially considering what you already have as a lathe. Keep us updated.
Ben

Christopher K. Hartley
11-04-2007, 6:42 AM
Matt, here are a few pics that may help you in your quest. :)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-04-2007, 6:44 AM
And a few more...

Christopher K. Hartley
11-04-2007, 6:47 AM
It may not be a VB but it is tough... Hope these help.:)

Pete Jordan
11-04-2007, 7:31 AM
Chris,

I see a Mustard in the back. Is he saving that for the big logs?

Bill Fleming
11-04-2007, 12:22 PM
All the above considered it seems to break down into:

(1) High quality large capacity spindle/bowl lathe: Oneway, Robust, Vicmarc

(2) High quality larger capacity bowl lathe with spindle capacity: Stubby

(3) Super bowl lathe: VB36

(4) Various other monsters

All are high quality machines from folks that care about making a high quality product. All have users that are devoted, helpful and willing to share with others. There are no "right" choices and all will allow you to take your talent forward without limit!

Cheers - Bill

Matt Hutchinson
11-04-2007, 1:01 PM
Bill, I thoroughly agree with you.

Also, the president of Robust e-mailed me and is concerned that I am flirting with danger. Don't worry, I really am concerned with safety. That is, in fact, one of the reasons why I am asking about such large capacities. If I find out what the limits of a lathe are now, then I won't even try to do those kind of pieces on that specific lathe. I am very safety oriented, truly. I just don't want you all to think that I am a crazed "bigophile". I just got really excited when I saw that a VB36 could turn a 700 lb piece outboard. I wanted to see if a different, more versatile lathe could do anything close to that. That's really the long and the short of it.

TAKE NOTICE: I simply won't try something outlandish on a non-plain-bearing lathe. It would just be stupid.

So, with that finally addressed, I hope you all will rest assured that I am not a suicidal turner.

Thanks again.

Hutch

P.S. It doesn't help that I have a friend with a lathe on which he turns 44" diameter bowls inboard. He does this on an old Pryibil lathe. After reading and hearing things through postings in this thread, I think I can assume that the VB is about the only machine that can match the lathes of old. But that's exactly what I have been trying to find out. :)