PDA

View Full Version : How old am I?

Brian Brown
10-31-2007, 6:27 PM
I hope this is the right place to ask for help with this question. Can anyone give me an approximate age for the tools pictured, or point me to a source where I might find it? I would also like to find some information on restoring the tools so they can be used. They belonged to my grandfather who was a carpenter after he retired from ranching. His father was a carpenter, and the census lists his grandfather as a farmer, but I think he did some carpentry also. I am curious as to how many generations these tools may have been handed down. I have labled each image with the markings on the tool, and where the markings are located.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

Bruce Haugen
10-31-2007, 6:38 PM
Can't answer the question about the brace or #78, but you can date the #5 using the flowchart at this site (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/dating_flowchart.html). You'll need additional information from the plane itself, e.g., the number and dates of patents listed on the plane.

Bruce

Bill Houghton
10-31-2007, 7:44 PM
The lack of depth adjustment lever on the No. 78 implies that it's older than 1925, when these were added, according to Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore" on Stanley planes (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm).

The plane irons (cutters) often also have the company trademark at the top of the iron. Bob Kaune, a tool seller, has a site with photos dating by year: http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stantms.htm. This won't guarantee the age, since the iron is probably the part most often replaced.

If you're interested in using the tools, getting a replacement fence and depth stop for the No. 78 would be a good idea. These are still available from some of the specialty used tools sellers, Clarence Blanchard of the Fine Tool Journal, Bob Kaune as mentioned above, and Peter Niederberger being perhaps the three best known.

Useful tools, all three. If, on the other hand, you just want them as family relics, they're neat tools.

Marcus Ward
10-31-2007, 8:17 PM
Just based on what I can see from the #5 (raised rib on toe and heel, curved hole lever cap) I am going to take a stab and say post war 1947-1961. The flowchart on that site will do a better job.

Clint Jones
10-31-2007, 8:29 PM
No.5 late 1940's . The 78 late 1890's. The brace who cares its looks like junkola.

Bill Houghton
10-31-2007, 9:00 PM
It looks from the photos like the brace has ball bearings below the knob, which is a sign of some quality. There are probably about four times as many braces in the U.S. as there are people who are interested in using them, so, with the rare exception of some of the collectible ones, the critical questions are the user questions: how smoothly does the chuck operate (and how tightly does it hold the bits) and is there much wobble in the spindle. If it's smooth in operation and not too wobbly, it's a good brace. Can't tell from photos, only by use.

Andrew Homan
10-31-2007, 9:11 PM
No.5 late 1940's . The 78 late 1890's.

How do you date the 78 to the 1890s?

Clint Jones
10-31-2007, 10:30 PM
How do you date the 78 to the 1890s?
Im sorry I thought it said s casting. With the B casting it would be early 1900's when they switched from the "Sessions" foundry.

Brian Brown
11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Can't answer the question about the brace or #78, but you can date the #5 using the flowchart at this site (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/dating_flowchart.html). You'll need additional information from the plane itself, e.g., the number and dates of patents listed on the plane.

Bruce
Bruce,

The flowchart you mentioned was very helpful, except I couldn't answer one question. It asked if the knob and handle were stained red. The knob looks red, but the handle is a distinctly different color. If you were asked about the stain color from the handle and knob, how would you answer?

Brian

Bruce Haugen
11-05-2007, 8:36 PM
Brian,
It's entirely possible that one or both of them had been replaced at some time. That makes perfect ID very difficult. However, the term "Frankenplane" was coined for a situation just as this. I'd be tempted to go with the red dating. Just a hunch.

Bruce