PDA

View Full Version : Tape Measurers

Joe Suelter
03-04-2003, 12:17 AM
What do you use for a GOOD tape measure? I've got 2, one's a junk cheapie from the local hardware store. The other is a Craftsman 25', supposed to be the best they have, but that don't say much. I've replaced this thing 4 times in 2 years, thank God for lifetime warranties. The problem is the rivited on end piece. Right now I've got over 1/8" of play in the thing. I surely can't be the only one with this problem. Yeah, I could take it to Sears and get a new one, and I will, but when I notice this, they are already closed for the evening. So, where do I go and what do I look for in a GOOD, or better, tape? I'm sick of fighting with this garbage. So, what do you use, and where did you get it?

Joe Suelter
03-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Here's the worthless one I have:

Howard Barlow
03-04-2003, 1:22 AM
Tapes of that type are manufactured with the wiggle in the end tab. The wiggle should be no more than the thickness of the tab.

This movement is necessary to account for measuring with the tab hung over the end of a board or butted up to the inside. Otherwise, if the tab didn't move, you would get two different measurements.

Keith Outten
03-04-2003, 1:46 AM
Joe,

I have an old tape that is very accurate but haven't been able to find another to replace it although I have been shopping for several months. I ordered two 12' Starrett tapes and they were way off, I used to work as a QC inspector so I check my measuring equipment carefully. I don't have much of a problem with the end tab wearing out or gettin sloppy but I can't find a tape that is at least accurate to within 1/64th. Basically for woodworking projects 1/32" is close enough for this type of measurement but I like to have a little better accruacy on the tool than I actually need.

I use the tape for setups on my sliding table so it has to be very close. Since I move the fence so often I rarely use the built-in scale provided. Maybe I should design a new scale for the fence that can be calibrated to the blade easier. This way I wouldn't have to worry about the accuracy of a tape measure.

markus shaffer
03-04-2003, 3:13 AM
i've had good luck with the stanley fat max tapes. i've managed to end up with three if them.. they are not all that cheap, but they stand up to pretty good abuse. i've never compared them with any other measuring devices, but i've been happy with mine.

-markus

Robert Henderson
03-04-2003, 5:08 AM
Joe,

The 1/8 "play" is by design. It is there to compensate for the difference between inside and outside measurements.

Robert

Joe Suelter
03-04-2003, 8:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but 1/8" seems a little on the loose side, figuring that the tab itself is only 1/16". I guess I'll get a Fat-Maxx next time I go to Lowe's and hope for the best. Seems like they could design these a little better. The tape itself is fairly accurate (close enough for government work), just the end tab that is the problem. I guess I could start all my measurements at 1" and go from there......oh well. Thanks all! Have a great day.

Jason Roehl
03-04-2003, 8:28 AM
I think I really lucked out when it comes to an accurate tape. I have a Task Force 16' that has the 32nd marks. The brand is one of the big box generics, but I checked the tape against my Starrett combo square, and it is dead-nuts-accurate. Not bad for a $5 tape measure, I think. I also have a Crapsman that I have had to replace numerous time for various reasons. The worst feature is the bottom trigger that is supposed to automatically lock the tape. After a while, it weakens and springs outward, so that if you set the tape down to make a mark, the trigger is pushed it and the tape rewinds and won't stay put. ARrrrgh. Throwing it against the ground in rage after a failed attempt at re-coiling the tape doesn't help either. :D

Jason

Dave Brandt
03-04-2003, 9:17 AM
I've found that it's almost impossible to find two tapes with accurate, identicle markings. My favorite happens to be my 30' Craftsman, but I also have a smaller one (12') and one from Lee Valley (for right-handers!).
The most important thing I've learned is to always, ALWAYS, use the same tape during a project. Hide your other tapes or your measurements will be off! DAMHIKT db

Phil Phelps
03-04-2003, 9:24 AM
This may help to keep your tape accurate, longer. Replace it every day. If that is too expensive, "Do not let the tape slam against the body" That alone, weakens the brads and soon renders it useless. Obviously, dropping it and useing it for a hammer hastens the life of it, too. DAMHIKT Seriously, the constant retraction and slamming against the body, is the fastest way to ruin your tape.

John Wadsworth
03-04-2003, 9:33 AM
...to measure from the piece, not from any measuring device, whenever possible.

Let's give a great big hand to the story stick, guys!

PS: And let's remember that it doesn't matter a hoot if yer tape is off, so long as you always use the same tape and aren't trying to build to an external spec.

Jim Izat
03-04-2003, 9:51 AM
I think the most important thing with tape measures is to remember that all measurments are relative. As long as you use the same tape measure for the whole project, everything should turn out fine.

On a semi-related note I just bought a new Stanley tape that has english measurements on the top scale and metric on the bottom. The more I use the metric the more I like it.....

Jim Izat

Ken Frantz
03-04-2003, 10:07 AM
When I had my shop and had several others working, we would atleast once a week check our tapes against each other. It gets flustrating when one cuts out the cabinet and another build them and someone yells out"how come this measurement isn't right, its off a 1/16 th.

Like Ken S says "measure twice, cut once" If I need something real close, I measure using the hook end and get approx measrement and then to check for closness, I use the "inch" mark as the starting point and add the inch to the measurement.

NEVER USE A TAPE WITH THE END TAB GONE AND SAY TO YOUR SELF " I WILL HOLD TO THE INCH MARK AND REMEMBER TO ADD THAT INCH TO THE MEASUREMENT I NEED!!!!" JUST DON'T ASK ME ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!! I think the tape hit all four wall of the shop before it went out the door!!!!

CLEAR AS MUD??????

I also check the hook measurement using the method above.

And as Phil says "ALWAYS, use the same tape during a project. Hide your other tapes or your measurements will be off! DAMHIKT db"

Also when I changed blades on my Bresmeer (sp?) equiped table saw, after the first cut I always checked to see if the fence setting was correct. Also anytime a blade was removed to use a dado etc and the same blade was put back on, another check was made.(Most of the time the blades in the shop were change out once a week for sharpening that is.)

HAVE A GOOT DAY---SEE YA AROUND LIKE A DONUT

Dennis McDonaugh
03-04-2003, 10:20 AM
I must be a tape measure abuser because I've gone through three this year. I have settled on one that is marked in 1/8s on the top and gives me the center on the bottom. I have to second the observation that letting the tape slam back into the case decreases the life span of the tape. Don't drop it on the floor either or the whole thing can come off the spring retractor (DAMHIKT).

Roger Myers
03-04-2003, 10:35 AM
For anything under 36" or so I use the hook end steel rules from Lee Valley...over 36" it's either a stanley tape measure (same one for the whole project) or better yet, story sticks.
Speaking of a story....
The earlier post about remembering to "add the inch" reminded me of the lesson my dad taught me many years ago....
I was about 12 and we were cutting studs for a basement remodel....dad always used a 6' folding rule and my job was to mark and cut all the studs to length...something like 86" or so... So I took the rule, marked at 6', then measured out the 14" more, marked the line, carefully squared the line and then cut the studs right on the money! A whole bunch of them, with dad watching carefully as I used the circular saw. Held the first one up in position...wait, why is it so short?? Of course I had squared the 6' mark and cut a bunch of studs precisiely 6' long! Dad knew, and figured the cost of the studs was worth it for the lasting lesson in how to measure and mark. He was right!

Ted Shrader
03-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Roger Myers
. . . . The earlier post about remembering to "add the inch" reminded me of the lesson my dad taught me many years ago....
I was about 12 and we were cutting studs for a basement remodel....dad always used a 6' folding rule and my job was to mark and cut all the studs to length...something like 86" or so... So I took the rule, marked at 6', then measured out the 14" more, marked the line, carefully squared the line and then cut the studs right on the money! A whole bunch of them, with dad watching carefully as I used the circular saw. Held the first one up in position...wait, why is it so short?? Of course I had squared the 6' mark and cut a bunch of studs precisiely 6' long! Dad knew, and figured the cost of the studs was worth it for the lasting lesson in how to measure and mark. He was right!

Roger -

What a good "Dad" story. Can think of a couple from my dad to me. I hope we remember to pass along those sort of lessons. I have tried, but am not sure how well they stuck - we'll see.

Ted

Steven Wilson
03-04-2003, 11:22 AM
I use a 12' Starrett, I bought three and returned two of them. I take good care of it and only use it for building furniture. I use a couple of Stanley's for other stuff.

Howard Barlow
03-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi Steve,

Glad to see you here.

Howard Barlow
03-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Oops! I forgot your n, Steven.