PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic, Vinyl Lettering, Backpainted

Joe Pelonio
10-31-2007, 3:37 PM
This is not exactly an exciting sign, but it's a little different method so I thought I'd share.

One of the more upscale parking garages prefers this type of sign for a classier look than just vinyl lettering on the surface. The added advantage is no one can pick at the letters.

It's clear 1/8" acrylic. The vinyl lettering/arrow are cut in reverse and applied to the back. Then I spray it with the background color. After the paint is dry, I sheet the back with scraps of vinyl to protect the paint in the mounting process.

Scott Shepherd
10-31-2007, 3:53 PM
Nice looking work Joe. How the heck do you do all this reverse lettering? Every time I try, you can see the adhesive on the front, visible surface.

How are you preventing that?

Joe Pelonio
10-31-2007, 4:15 PM
I squeegie extra hard, then keep it in a warm place for a while, and squeezie again before removing the transfer tape. The same thing happens when you apply to the inside of windows on a storefront. In cold weather I bring along a hair dryer to warm them after application.

On these acrylic signs the worst thing is that if a hair or fuzz gets on it before you paint, it will show so you have to be careful.

Scott Shepherd
11-03-2007, 1:19 PM
Help me Obie-Wan-KaJoe-Be :)

Here's some chrome I just tried in reverse. I squeegeed the crap out of it, heated it with a heat gun 3 times and did it again, as hard as I could with the hardest plastic squeegee I had. I still get this same result.

Any suggestions? Perhaps throw this brand out and try another brand?

Joe Pelonio
11-05-2007, 8:13 AM
Help me Obie-Wan-KaJoe-Be :)

Here's some chrome I just tried in reverse. I squeegeed the crap out of it, heated it with a heat gun 3 times and did it again, as hard as I could with the hardest plastic squeegee I had. I still get this same result.

Any suggestions? Perhaps throw this brand out and try another brand?
Yes. The Chrome gold and silver by Arlon that I use always comes out beautifully.

Barb Macdonald
11-10-2007, 5:07 PM
We always have good luck when we take our time, have a clean dry surface, use the hinge method, and gently squeegee. The thick felt squeegees from I can't remember where, are very good for this job. This method worked on approx. 9 year old chrome gold unknown origin vinyl, cut-twice on the plotter. It wrinkled/bubbled while I was cutting it, too. No picture, sorry, i was amazed tho'. Thank goodness they were 5/8 letters. Any smaller might have been a bigger issue for my old plotter.
Sometimes force isn't the answer.? If I hurry, I always screw-up vinyl.
I can't take credit for the actual application, my right-hand artist guy did it. And he never hurries:)
good luck:)