PDA

View Full Version : Tall Clock Movements

C Scott McDonald
10-31-2007, 2:04 PM
Hey Folks,

I was looking at building Lonnie Birds Pennsylvania Tall clock from FWW. They gave two sources for the movement. One was from Green Lake Clock works which was around $700. There any other sources out there that wont make me spot myself when I look at the prices? I have to admit I know zero about clock parts and have no idea how to determine the difference between a good one and a bad one.

Thanks!
Scott

Ken Garlock
10-31-2007, 2:14 PM
Hi Scott.

Take a look at Klock Kits (http://www.klockit.com/depts/movements/dept-162.html). They have movements from a couple hundred up to a couple thousand. They also have some nice pre-cut kits.

mike holden
10-31-2007, 2:18 PM
Scott,
Check out any watch or clock repair places in your area.
I have seen some whose case is essentially totalled, but the works can be bought and refurbed for a couple hundred.
But yeah, you will spend more on the works than on the case.
Mike

scott spencer
10-31-2007, 3:10 PM
I've gotten good prices and good services from Clockparts.com (http://clockparts.com/)

Joe Unni
10-31-2007, 4:41 PM
I'll second ClockParts.

Nancy Laird
10-31-2007, 4:45 PM
I'll second Klockit.

Nancy (51 days)

Dan Strieter
10-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Try Murrayclock.com. Their customer service is excellent. The movements I've purchased are Hermle (made in Germany) and are of excellent quality and sound. Clock movements are definitely one area where you pay for quality. You can go with an inexpensive quartz movement (what I've done when building clocks for gifts) or pay more for quality chime movements (what I've done for the clock I'm building for home). I've looked at other projects I've made with pride, but none more than the clocks I've built for my father-in-law and parents.

Dave Redlin
11-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Hello. One of the best around is from David Lindow. He's located in Lake Ariel, PA. I purchased one from him for my Newport Tall Clock. The dial was hand painted by Kathi Edwards. If I'm not mistaken, she's in Georgia. Send me a message if you're interested and I'll forward you their contact information.

Good luck on your clock!

lou sansone
11-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Hello. One of the best around is from David Lindow. He's located in Lake Ariel, PA. I purchased one from him for my Newport Tall Clock. The dial was hand painted by Kathi Edwards. If I'm not mistaken, she's in Georgia. Send me a message if you're interested and I'll forward you their contact information.

Good luck on your clock!

i agree. lindow's works are sold through merritts. sorry to say the that other recommnedations on this thread will not result in an historically accurate tall case clock. stick with lidow's works and dials

lou

C Scott McDonald
11-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the information folks!

Looks like I found what I need.

Thanks Again!