PDA

View Full Version : help please

aurelio alarcon
02-09-2004, 1:56 PM
I did the unthinkable yesterday. Yes, I ran a board across my aluminum table saw that had a nail in it. I know, you don't need to remind me, I broke the cardinal rule. My aluminum table top has some type of coating over the bare aluminum (now I know) to protect it from rough lumber (not nails). So here's my question, is there any type of coating that I can buy to repair it, or do I just have to live with it? The coating that is on it is grey in color and kind and has an orange peel to prevent slippage (I assume) on it. I am glad that I am learning all this before I can afford and buy a top notch table saw in about 5 years from now.

Lee Schierer
02-09-2004, 2:01 PM
Are you sure the coating is supposed to be there? Many manufacturers apply a sticky on one side plastic or paper to aluminum to protect it during manufacturing and shipping. Normally this protective wrap is peeled off before use, leaving a bare aluminum or cast iron top. I would suspect that is the case of your saw, but perhaps the brand you have does have a protective coating that should remain in place. What brand saw is it?

aurelio alarcon
02-09-2004, 3:36 PM
Are you sure the coating is supposed to be there? Many manufacturers apply a sticky on one side plastic or paper to aluminum to protect it during manufacturing and shipping. Normally this protective wrap is peeled off before use, leaving a bare aluminum or cast iron top. I would suspect that is the case of your saw, but perhaps the brand you have does have a protective coating that should remain in place. What brand saw is it?I have included a picture of it here:

Kurt Aebi
02-09-2004, 7:07 PM
The aluminum is hardcoat anodized to help harden and make it less susceptable to scratckes. I am not sure how to correct the scratches, as anodizing is dunking the aluminum in an acid solution and applying a charge to it. I think you will need to talk to a Mechanical Engineer or machinist to really get your answer.

aurelio alarcon
02-09-2004, 11:17 PM
The aluminum is hardcoat anodized to help harden and make it less susceptable to scratckes. I am not sure how to correct the scratches, as anodizing is dunking the aluminum in an acid solution and applying a charge to it. I think you will need to talk to a Mechanical Engineer or machinist to really get your answer.
thanks Kurt. I'll check into it.