PDA

View Full Version : Jet

Randall Houghton
10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi
I've been searching around the internet and various wood working forums for info on Jet machinery. Haven't found much that was useful so I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with Jet machinery. Thanks for your help.
Regards
Randy

Kyle Kraft
10-31-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a shop full of Jet stuff. Been happy with all of it so far. Are you looking for someone with reviews or repair experience?

Lance Norris
10-31-2007, 12:15 PM
I have 3 Jet machines. I am very happy with all of them. Jet offers exceptional value for the money. When other manufacturers are using plastic and aluminum, Jet still used thick cast iron. The Jet JJ6 jointer is a home woodworking standard, the Jet 1236 lathe has received many excellent reviews http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jwl1236.html
Jet table saws are excellent as well. I recommend Jet.
newwoodworker.com has many reviews of Jet equipment. Check it out here http://www.newwoodworker.com/

Paul Johnstone
10-31-2007, 2:38 PM
I consider Jet to be one of the better home brands in terms of quality.
If you post the specific Jet tool you are looking at, you'll get better feedback.

Stan Smith
10-31-2007, 4:54 PM
Ditto to what Paul said. I have the Jet TS, mini lathe, 10-20 drum sander, and tenoning jig. I used to have a 1236 lathe and a 16-32 drum sander. All great equip. for me.

Bill Wyko
10-31-2007, 5:43 PM
As said before, gotta shop full of JET and Powermatic. Great stuff. (same parent company)

Dave Sweeney
10-31-2007, 6:06 PM
I can vouch for their AFS-1000B Air Filtration System and the JJ-6CS Jointer.

Tom Veatch
10-31-2007, 6:27 PM
... I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with Jet machinery. ...

10" Cabinet Saw, 16" Band Saw, 13" Planer/Molder, 6" Jointer, 17" Drill Press, 6"/9" Belt/Disk Sander, 4x6" Horizontal Band Saw (metal cutting), and a couple of air filter units.

Except for what I feel is excessive vibration in the Drill Press, (gonna have to try some Link Belts on that sucker) and it being somewhat of a chore to change blades on the 16" Band Saw, I'm quite happy with each and every one of them. Have no reason not to buy the same things if I had it to do over.

Cary Falk
10-31-2007, 6:41 PM
I have the JJ-6OS, DC-1100A, and AFS-1000B. I haven't had any problems with any of them. I think some of the stuff is overpriced for what you get. They do make nice tools and I would not hesitate on purchasing more Jet equipment if the price is right.

Scott Welliver
10-31-2007, 8:19 PM
I have several Jet tools -- Cabinet saw, jointer, planer, disk/belt combo sander, disk sander, large spindle sander, mini-lathe, and (just sold) a 14" band saw. I had trouble with missing or broken parts on a couple of them at delivery, and Jet was extremely responsive at sending new parts. All good quality castings, heavy steel, well machined surfaces. Never any problems/failures with any of them in actual use. I was very happy with the band saw too, but wanted more resaw height and power -- so sold it to make room for an MM16.

tim mathis
10-31-2007, 8:37 PM
jet - 1 1/2 hp router shaper - great cut and solid , 3 years old and no problems.

Joe Spear
10-31-2007, 8:47 PM
Jet cabinet saw, 12" disk sander, air filter unit: happy with all three.

Robert Waddell
10-31-2007, 11:44 PM
I would put Jet into the pretty good category. I have 2 of their lathes, a long arm buffer/sander, and a 1.5hp DC with canister. There's small issues with every one of them but nothing major. There's no one brand that is the best in every machine. That's why my shop looks like a rainbow. Jet has nearly always done good review wise in the lower cost Cabinet saw, lathes, small DC's and 14inch bandsaws.
Rob

scott spencer
11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Good quality imported machinery from Asia. They have a diverse line, strong dealer network, good quality, and good warranty. I don't consider Jet to be top of the line, but is a great choice for serious hobby shops and even some commercial use. I don't see a significant difference between Jet machinery and those from companies like Grizzly, General International, Sunhill, and some Delta. To do better you have to get into names like General, Powermatic, Minimax, Laguna, Saw Stop, etc.

Randall Houghton
11-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm primarily interested in upgrading my TS and have been looking for info on the Jet supersaw(open and enclosed versions) and their better grade of 3hp cabinet saws. Saw the new Deluxe version of the Xacta cabinet saw on the web yesterday and noticed the price had jumped almost $400. I'm also interested in the new J/P combo that has just released for sale. If you've got any experience with the above I'd like to hear from you.
Regards
Randy

Jim Becker
11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Prior to my move to Euro equipment, nearly all my machinery was Jet and my experience was great. They have been in the business for a long time.