PDA

View Full Version : Titanium white on marble?

Gregg Vaughn
10-31-2007, 8:41 AM
I have read several threads on using titanium white paint to "whiten up" photographs on marble. I just finished an 18" x 24" photograph on a piece of Laser Sketch marble. The photo turned out well and I am not sure it needs the added white. I am hesitant about using the paint on this large of an area since the result is good (my opinion). I have added an oil based paint on smaller pieces to see what the effect would be and had mixed feelings.

This piece was lasered at 100% speed, 34% power and 300 DPI on my Epilog.

Anyone have an experience with titanium white they wish to share or other wise words for me?

I'm at work now, but will post a photo of the piece this evening. I did an earlier thread on this project relative to a frame for it. After reading all the ideas, considering the $$ and looking over the options I made a frame out of solid PVC brick mold ($10.50 for 10' piece at Menards). The frame turned out good, is strong and will resist the elements of the indoor swimming pool area where this plaque will live. I'm still debating how to mount it, but leaning toward tapcon screws through the frame then plugging the holes with matched color pvc or wood plugs (glued).

This is my first large piece of marble and it is a memorial for a friend of my daughters who died in an accident during his senior year in high school. I want it to look nice for a long time.

Craig Hogarth
11-01-2007, 3:11 AM
Gregg, I've read a lot on here about the titanium white, but have never tried it. What I use is an oil based paint dabbed onto the surface and then worked in with a cloth dipped in mineral spirits. It goes deep into the pores, still making it look like marble, but protects it from nasty stuff such as greasy fingers.

Dean Flannery
11-01-2007, 2:15 PM
I can tell you one thing to watch for when using titanium dioxide, if the back ground is light colored and a person is wearing a white shirt they will disappear into the background. Basically you have to have contrast between the background and the subject or don't use it. Dean

Bill Cunningham
11-01-2007, 9:44 PM
The titanium white is really not needed on 'marble' marble turns pretty white when it's etched.. The titanium white is usually used on black 'granite'. Granite etches gray, and the white gives the etch more contrast.. If this is going into a pool area, all youwill need is a good polymer 'stone' sealer.. This is available at Home Depot for sealing tiled showers etc..