PDA

View Full Version : Portability of Epilog 24 ? Info Needed

Teryl Bishop
10-31-2007, 8:32 AM
I have been asked by several folks if I can bring my laser on the road to their event. This I have never tried, nor have I seen it commented on here. Therefore..... am looking for any advice or experiences anyone may have on trying this. Thanks in advance. This is my first post but have been reading and benefiting for months. You all are great!

Ed Maloney
10-31-2007, 9:06 AM
Sure you can move it around (carefully) with a couple of people, but the logistics of setting up the machine at the site may be the challenge for you. Is the event inside or outside?

Al Popowski
10-31-2007, 9:07 AM
It's not worth the trouble. You need more space, power, and an exhuast to the outside and you still get a smell. You need a person to run the laser and people to sell. The time it takes to change setup for different items, the amount of sales that you will get there??? How much can you do?
I have only seen it at a site once and this what I was told.
I take orders at shows and sent them out asap and this works very well.

Teryl Bishop
10-31-2007, 9:36 AM
I understand the logistic problems, ie: power, venting production/sales etc. Basically, we would be looking at an outside environment (helps with the smell concern) and would probably involve taking dig pic and engraving on marble or lasertile.

Peck Sidara
10-31-2007, 9:51 AM
Teryl,

Shouldn't be a problem. We (factory & sales reps) travel with our equipment all the time. For the TT, I recommend dropping the table all the way down and locking the I-beam to the front or rear using a plastic tie wrap. I also recommend keeping the machine right side up.

In regards to exhausting, you'll find units like the Purex filtration units work well in the field removing dirt, dust, debris and the smell. The Purex units would also double-up as a stand for the TT.

Stand alone filtration units can be costly so another option would be to build your own untilizing an exhaust blower, a standard furnace air filter and a hepa/carbon-charcoal filter to remove the smell.

Electricity is the only thing you'll then need at this point. So trade-shows, state fairs, halls, malls are all possible.

HTH,

Joe Pelonio
10-31-2007, 9:53 AM
They can be moved fairly easily with two people. I'd be concerned that a photo on a tile can take an hour to run, not much problem with fumes but will people at an event wait around that long? Also, will you make enough to justify the trouble doing only 6-8 in a day?

Paul Proffitt
10-31-2007, 9:58 AM
I've never seen anything on how clean the power needs to be for the laser. I don't have any filtering on mine, just my regular house power. But, if you are going to be outside you should make sure that you have good power. Make sure to use a heavy gauge power cord so that if you have an air pump and/or blower running on the same circuit it won't drop the voltage too much over the length of the cord.

I've seen an Epilog Legend 24TT (not mine) run on power from a generator in a parking lot for a show. It had no problems with it that I saw and it was running a lot over the course of the day even thought there were lots of other things running on the same generator (it was a tool show).

Make sure you install the head restraints prior to moving the unit and don't try to carry it yourself.

Stephen Beckham
10-31-2007, 9:11 PM
Teryl,

I started out my business in the basement - then moved it to a hobby bus. I picked it up used and needing work - installed cabinets and a fume extraction system to boot. Even had a removable smoke stack for driving.

I'd pull up on site, set up - plug in the generator and be etching in 20-30 minutes. The laser was strapped down to the countertop - it was a mini 24 as well.

Now the bus is sitting in wait for the next adventure because I've moved into a store front.

If you're ever down around Louisville - let me know - we can meet up and I'll show you my 'rig' to give you possible solutions.