PDA

View Full Version : QSWO Computer Desk project completed

Jeff Heil
10-30-2007, 11:30 PM
This is a computer desk I just finished. QSWO on all show surfaces, BB plywood drawers. Both large drawers have blum file folder hardware. Full extension slides on all three overlay drawers.

All panels are resawn to 1/4" and bookmatched.

Finish is General Finishes Nutmeg Gel Stain followed by several coats of Seal-a-cell, and Gloss and Satin Arm-r-Seal.

Dimensions are 48"W x 28"D x 30" H, the hutch is 48"W x 12"D x 40" H

Any feedback is welcome.

Dick Rowe
10-31-2007, 3:08 AM
Nice job Jeff!

I like the look of QSWO and have been using it in a lot of my recent projects.

Is that an original design, or did you find the plans somewhere?

Curt Harms
10-31-2007, 7:38 AM
Have You given thought to wire management? I really didn't give it enough thought on mine:o. It looks like a disorganized rat lives there.

Curt

scott spencer
10-31-2007, 8:06 AM
Excellent job Jeff!

Jeff Heil
10-31-2007, 8:45 AM
Nice job Jeff!

I like the look of QSWO and have been using it in a lot of my recent projects.

Is that an original design, or did you find the plans somewhere?

It is an original design. The customer wanted the double file drawers and approximate dimensions and we worked though the design process with Sketch-up. Here is the file.

Jeff Heil
10-31-2007, 8:47 AM
Have You given thought to wire management? I really didn't give it enough thought on mine:o. It looks like a disorganized rat lives there.

Curt

I added access holes in the base of the hutch and for a light. The customer only intends to put a laptop on it, so hopefully not a huge rats nest of wires.

glenn bradley
10-31-2007, 9:57 AM
Very well done. That is a nice piece.

Greg Cole
10-31-2007, 9:58 AM
Very nice Jeff.
Is the back frame & panel? Hard to see in the pics...
QSWO looks great to me. I am looking to get a pile of it for this coming winter WW'ing season....

Greg

Jeff Heil
10-31-2007, 1:18 PM
Very nice Jeff.
Is the back frame & panel? Hard to see in the pics...
QSWO looks great to me. I am looking to get a pile of it for this coming winter WW'ing season....

Greg

I cheated a bit and veneered with QSWO veneer the 3/4 oak ply that was used for the back in the "panel" areas and applied resawn 1/4" "rails" and "stiles" to make it look like it was f+p like the desk and sides of the hutch (those are true f+p's). My efforts were to cut down on time and materials to make the desk at a price affordable to the customer.
Most people won't see the difference.