PDA

View Full Version : wiggle in Bosch 1617EVS Router

Dave Cohen
10-30-2007, 9:47 PM
I bought this router along with the rest of the JET JTAS cabinet saw package - used, as I've posted here earlier.

I noticed when I inspected the router at the previous owner's house that there was some slight play in the spindle of the router, but I got the price down low enough that the router was not a big deal.

I would like to use it though and the play still remains even after I tighten up the flange nut(?) at the bottom of the spindle. Is this just a defective router or is there something else I can do to reduce the play, or is the play normal? When I grab a router bit that has been secured in the collet, I can get it to make a clicking sound by pulling it from side to side, my Freud Router does not do this.

Please advise, thanks

Tom Veatch
10-30-2007, 10:04 PM
... When I grab a router bit that has been secured in the collet, I can get it to make a clicking sound by pulling it from side to side, my Freud Router does not do this.

My Bosch 1617 doesn't do that either. I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like there's entirely too much slop in the armature shaft. Bad bearings, maybe? Have you turned it on? Any unusual or unexpected noises?

Dave Cohen
10-30-2007, 10:09 PM
I ran it upside down in the table and insert, even routed some oak with it and it seemed to work OK without making strange noises, probably has some kind of unacceptable runout I'd imagine - haven't measure that yet.