PDA

View Full Version : My Summer Projects

T. Scott Nalley
10-30-2007, 9:28 PM
Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for some time and I am finally ready to post some pics of my recent work. I really just got started into woodworking again in the past 2 years, and then making small things for the wife and family. On a recent trip to see some relatives overseas, I was talking about my hobbies and they asked what I made. I realized then that I hadn't really made anything more than I had in high school, and that it was time to change that. These are my summer projects I made for the arrival of our baby somewhere near Dec. 1st. I built both from plans I found in Wood magazine. I used Birdseye maple, hard maple and maple plywood. I applied at least 6 coats of lacquer and went through and astonishing amount of 1000-2000 grit sandpaper. I even got to buy some new tools to complete the projects... My current projects are a horse urn, a jewelry box for my wife and a tool chest to help organize my shop. Then I hope to get some Christmas gifts made for relatives.

Grant Morris
10-30-2007, 9:34 PM
I like your changing table a lot. Very nice.

Jim Becker
10-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Wow...nice work. And that changing table is to die for with the wonderful figure and design. And congrats-in-advance on the upcoming addition to your family!

Greg Cuetara
10-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Very nice job on both the crib and changing table. Congratulations on the baby coming your way. My wife is due any day now so I am very excited. It must feel good to get everything done before the big day.

Good luck with the coming baby.
Greg

Matt Meiser
10-31-2007, 7:42 AM
Very nice. Better get all those projects done now because you aren't going to have much shop time in a month!

frank shic
10-31-2007, 7:58 AM
beautiful job. is the baby sleeping through the night yet? :)

Greg Cole
10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
I really like the material used. Thats one of the nicer cribs I've seen....
I am a sucker for 'bout anything made with figured maple (being from Vermont & all).
The drawer fronts on the changing table are saweeeeet.
Well done sir.

Greg

Craig D Peltier
10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I also like both very much.Nice job.

scott spencer
10-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Looks like you had a productive summer! Both pieces look great and obviously serve a purpose. Nice work!

T. Scott Nalley
10-31-2007, 4:16 PM
Thank you for all of the compliments. I do have to give credit where credit is due. It was my wife who suggested that I do the drawer fronts in solid Birdseye maple instead of maple plywood with trim like the plan called for.

We were just at the doctor's office this morning and looks like she is measuring a week early, so maybe we'll have a Thanksgiving baby. Lucky for me, my wife has assured me that my shop time won't be hampered by the new arrival... I'm hoping that she wasn't being sarcastic.

Lee Schierer
10-31-2007, 4:34 PM
The two pieces pictured look great and the third will be great when it arrives. I wouldn't bank on the "lots of shop time" for a while though.

Dwain Lambrigger
10-31-2007, 6:21 PM
As far as your wife's comment...I wouldn't worry about her sarcasm as much as I would her realism. This is coming from a father of three.

Great work. I am big fan of maple, and you really took advantage of some beautiful wood.

Mark Engel
10-31-2007, 6:34 PM
Absolutely beautiful work!

And, for me, very timely. My daughter just announced that she is pregnant with my first grandchild and I have been looking forward to making that exact set for her! Your choice of woods in this project is perfect! What a beautiful set.

There is also one more piece that I will probably make for my daughter in Wood Magazine issue 178, the cradle. There may be time for you to build one before the big event!

By the way, thanks so much for posting the pics, and congratulations to you and your wife.

Mike Spanbauer
10-31-2007, 6:43 PM
Very nice work and the changing table is especially nice! Between the crib and the table usage the investment in the supplies, wood, and new tools will seem non-existant.

Great work!

mike