PDA

View Full Version : Surfacing wood the good way.

Marcus Ward
10-30-2007, 9:06 PM
I just spent time really surfacing wood with hand planes. I've never done this before. I have a huge grizzly planer that I gladly feed wood to but when my wife is in the shop carving I don't like to make so much noise and frankly dragging the dust collector over there is a PITA so out of laziness :confused: I surfaced the large stretchers for my wife's morris chair by hand. The quartersawn oak I got was skip planed but not smooth. Some time with the jack plane and then a few minutes with the jointer plane and it's ready for the smooth plane - although that'll wait till after I cut the tenons. It's disturbingly satisfying to do this by hand and my arms feel like I just went 5 rounds with the weight bench. An added benefit. Pretty soon I'll look like Hulk Hogan or Hans & Franz. I'm Hans, und I'm Franz, and we're here to Galoot You Up!! Sorry, no point to this post but to say ahhhhh this is satisfying.

Dan Barr
10-31-2007, 2:04 AM
Yup,

I think planing and working with hand tools in general are the only FUN workouts i like. I'm not much for the gym, but i'll spend 16 hours in the shop without even remembering to eat! :D then my significant other gets on me for it. :D

thats just me i guess.

v/r

dan