PDA

View Full Version : Curvy Jatoba shelving unit I built for LOML (pics)

Bill Wyko
10-30-2007, 5:03 PM
The original one didn't have the rounded side and when you would turn to go into the b-room, you'd catch your shoulder some tomes as you walked in. This piece is made of solid Jatoba, back included. It was cheaper to build it solid than buying veneers. The edges of the shelves were done with 3 miters and biscuits. The back was done with biscuits as well. I even made the light switch cover. Please excuse the dust. Other projects have made a little mess. I'd have shown pics w/o foofoo stuff all over it but when I turned my back on it LOML loaded it right up. Critiques welcome.

Jack Ganssle
10-30-2007, 5:08 PM
Beautiful work, Bill. How was is working with Jatoba? Does it tear out much when planing it? I played with it some years ago and couldn't believe how hard the stuff is. A pal's 2 hp Jet cabinet saw couldn't rip 8/4 material, though he didn't have a fancy WWII sort of blade.

Jack

Greg Cole
10-30-2007, 5:23 PM
Hi Bill,
Looks good. I am one of the design-form follows function. Usually leads to simple solutions to the problem like the corner catching you mentioned.....
I think any project undertaken for the LOML inherently has a certain amount of foofoo, or at least my LOML.:rolleyes: IE hall table (for displaying dead flowers she convinced me to use most of my spalted maple on).... or a shelving unit for a Boyd's Bear Collection (that's overgrown the shelves).
At least I never heard a word about $ spent on tools or wood....

Cheers,
Greg

Bill Wyko
10-30-2007, 5:26 PM
You are right, it is a very hard wood. It was a challenge to keep it from warping. I actually split the shelves in 1/2 then biscuited them back together to release the pull in the grain. Other than that, not so bad. Once I had made the back I had to work fast to prevent it from twisting up like a screw though.

Bill Wyko
10-30-2007, 5:29 PM
Hi Bill,
Looks good. I am one of the design-form follows function. Usually leads to simple solutions to the problem like the corner catching you mentioned.....
I think any project undertaken for the LOML inherently has a certain amount of foofoo, or at least my LOML.:rolleyes: IE hall table (for displaying dead flowers she convinced me to use most of my spalted maple on).... or a shelving unit for a Boyd's Bear Collection (that's overgrown the shelves).
At least I never heard a word about $ spent on tools or wood....

Cheers,
Greg
Does she wanna buy more bears?:D :D :D LOML collected some of the finest ever made. She's a starving student now. A little shift in priorities. I'd sure like more space in the garage too. she's got bins full.:cool:

Rob Haskell
10-30-2007, 6:50 PM
That unit really has a great look. I like how the rug matches in design and color. I'm guessing you added those mitred pieces on the open end of the shelves to hide the end grain? They add another neat detail.
Thanks for showing these pics.

Bill Wyko
10-30-2007, 7:55 PM
Yes, actually they were dual purpose. 1, it hides the end grain and 2 it helps prevent cupping of the shelf. This Jatoba tried its darnedest to warp on me but I beat it into submission.:D Pretty observant on the rug. I walk all over it and never noticed the commonality.:confused: :)

Greg Cole
10-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Bill,
You working for my LOML to push me to make that darn display cabinet for the bear collection... offering to sell me more? LOLOL
I all seriousness, if you have pics or a list of what yours is looking to get rid of... PM me. I'll see if she wants to add to the stable.

Greg