PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Rotary attachment?

Pete Thomas(UK)
10-30-2007, 3:02 PM
Hi all, been looking on the forum for a while and just joined. It seems to me an excellent sources of information. I am just starting to play with lasers and am looking at buying the Epilog 24, iit seems to be a good entry level machine. I have seem one here in the UK second hand at a highish price but it has no Rotary attachment. Any one got one to sell that is surplus to your needs? How much are they new in the US? Here in the UK they are $2000. Far too much really. May be worthwile shipping one overhere if the price is right.

Any comments or views please.

Pete Thomas(UK)

Frank Corker
10-30-2007, 7:27 PM
Greetings Pete and welcome to the forum. I'm up on the Wirral, Merseyside and where are you based?

The Epilog 24 is a cracking little machine and will do a lot more than you even realise at this minute. As for the rotary, you will find if you search the forum there are a lot of members here who have bought one hoping to make good use of it. For MOST it does not and it would be hard to justify the cost of the thing. I have one which was thrown in with the deal but although I do get to use it and it is very handy to have, I can't say any of the stuff I have done would go anywhere near to justify having bought one.

Darren Null
10-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Did you see this link?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68098
Rotary attachment, cost $450, make an offer. Epilog Helix 45 watt...might be compatible.

Kim Vellore
10-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Did you see this link?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68098
Rotary attachment, cost $450, make an offer. Epilog Helix 45 watt...might be compatible.

I was the lucky one to get this. I emailed a few minutes after it was posted and bought it.

Kim

Dave Fifield
10-31-2007, 3:58 AM
Kim, I thought you built your own? ;)

FWIW, all the Epilog rotary units seem to be identical, so no matter which machine it was purchased for, it will work in your Epilog.

Cheers,
Dave F.

Kim Vellore
10-31-2007, 4:11 PM
Kim, I thought you built your own? ;)

FWIW, all the Epilog rotary units seem to be identical, so no matter which machine it was purchased for, it will work in your Epilog.

Cheers,
Dave F.

Dave,
Thanks to your inputs I was able to built my own Rotary, I actually built three different types, one rotary and two linear. I also added additional electronics between the motor and the rotary so I could control the motion profile for odd shaped objects. The DPI on my Epilog with Rotary only changes the speed of the rotary motor and I need finer control because I wanted to laser thin acrylic rods 2-5mm dia, it has worked out great.

I got this so I could laser wine bottles for gifts for my friends this Christmas, which I cant do with the one I built.

The current rotary motor driver in my system is also not that great it uses ~50V DC per coil and no PWM or cutback in current during idle so the motor also gets pretty hot if used for long, it also made it easy for me to build my controls.

Kim