PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Holiday Sales.

alex grams
10-30-2007, 9:31 AM
I have been in the market for a band saw for a while (mainly for re-sawing purposes) and I have been sitting tight waiting to see if there are typically any holiday sales. Grizzly just put their 513x on sale for $850 down from $975 http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X%29) . I had been looking at the Rikon 10-325, but at only 100$ price difference, the Grizzly is much more appealing (more power, 17" vs 14", cast iron wheels, deluxe rip fence, larger table, iso 9001 factory and their rep for good customer service).

Anyways, does Rikon typically have a holiday sale? And any idea of the duration of Grizzly's? I am sure it will run for at least until mid December.

Also, any other suggestions on my selection would be appreciated. You can never do enough reading before spending 1000$.

Michael Panis
10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm in your boat--also looking at both the Grizzly and Rikon.
Woodcraft is selling the Rikon 18" for $999 (through November), which seems like a pretty good deal.
As you point out, the Grizzly G0513X is now on sale for $850, which makes it pretty attractive.
Then again, if the Rikon 14" goes on sale, that could be quite a saw for the money. Decisions...decisions...

Other factors...The Rikon thrust bearing has the blade run on round part of the bearing where the Grizzly uses the flat side. Does it make a difference?

The Rikon has cast iron trunnions where the Grizzly has aluminum (I assume--since the G0513X2 has cast iron for another $100).

Thoughts? More news of sales?

alex grams
10-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Sorry, the link wasn't working, it is now.

The 18" may be a little more than I need, and the 10-325 was looking good.

It is odd that the 513x2 normally is 950, and the 513x is 975, while the cheaper model has the advertised cast-iron trunnions. It would seem that if it were such a benefit to advertise, that you would sell it for more than the model without it. But then again, you don't get the re-saw fence with the 513x2.

I will be sure to post updates if i see any more sales. Hopefully with my upcoming birthday i will get permission from the wife to buy it (she kept complaining about not enough room in the garage, but after extensive space saving remodeling in the garage, maybe her tune has changed.. or at least I can hope).

Gary Keedwell
10-30-2007, 11:43 AM
[quote=Michael Panis;684046]
Other factors...The Rikon thrust bearing has the blade run on round part of the bearing where the Grizzly uses the flat side. Does it make a difference?

I'm not much of a band saw guy but I do own a 14". But I think the blade running on the "flat" side is what a bearing was designed to do. I never understood why they do it the other way.
Gary