PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a source for simulated ivory?

John Keeton
10-30-2007, 7:34 AM
Still in the research phase and haven't purchased a laser yet. Trying to think of a niche that would compliment what I do in the woodworking shop. Anyone know of a source of simulated ivory? Will Micarta work? Has anyone done this type of thing? I don't want to do traditional scrimshaw, but would like to incorporate a piece of flat engraved stock (1/8" - 1/4") into some wood projects.

Scott Loven
10-30-2007, 8:29 AM
Try people who sell items for making knifes.

Bruce Volden
10-30-2007, 9:12 AM
I HIGHLY recommend the Micarta route!! It engraves well, cuts well, is very hard and durable. You can finish it to a glass like finish by sanding. It's just a nice medium. It is somewhat pricey but I don't know your intents. I by Micarta by the sheets 1/8" thick and inlay into boxes, plaques... I believe the sheet size I bought is 9 X 12". I think I bought from Jantz knifeworks in Oklahoma??

Bruce

Angus Hines
10-30-2007, 9:53 AM
There are always deals on real Ivory sheet pieces on eBay.

Greg Narozniak
10-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Micarta will work. It has been a substitute for Ivory in Pool cues for years.

I have seen Ivory slabs on the bay as well.

John Keeton
10-30-2007, 8:14 PM
Thanks guys! I checked out the Jantz link and they do have the ivory paper micarta in 1/8" pieces - not as wide as I would like, but can probably make it work. I have requested info from them on some wider stock. The thickness would be perfect for what I have in mind. I will check out the ebay link, too, although I am always concerned about the source of the ivory. I know there is still some legal stuff out there, but ebay can be tricky. Thanks again.