PDA

View Full Version : shaper or router table??

matt norton
10-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Just wondering what most pros. use and why? Trying to decide which one to buy in the next few days. Also has anyone used Grizzlys sliding table router table? Seems like a shaper would be great except I would have to start a new collection of bits! Thanks for any input,, Matt

Bill Ragland
10-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Just wondering what most pros. use and why? Trying to decide which one to buy in the next few days. Also has anyone used Grizzlys sliding table router table? Seems like a shaper would be great except I would have to start a new collection of bits! Thanks for any input,, Matt

Shaper for production work, router table and big honkin 3+Hp router for the hobbyist/weekend/amateur woodworker like me. I'm building 38 kitchen cabinets all with raised panel doors and the router table is all I need. Shaper would be overkill, especially after I complete this project. More versatility in a router table, IMO.

J.R. Rutter
10-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Depends what you're doing. I have some of each, and wouldn't give up either type. But if you are doing cuts that can be hand fed, then the router table is probably where you should go.

frank shic
10-30-2007, 12:25 AM
i'm building a four router station just for raised panel doors but if i could swing it by SWMBO, i'd go for a panelmaster 2 from rbi wood tools!

willie sobat
10-30-2007, 5:18 AM
Shapers generally operate in the 7-10,000 rpm range. While routers are more like 8-22,000 rpm. The size of the cutter determines desired rpms. The cutting edges of a larger cutter will be moving at a much higher speed than a smaller cutter at the same rpm. This will affect safety and quality of cut. So, if what you want is to use large cutters (raised panels, banisters, etc...) a shaper is the most appropriate. If most of your work will be with router bits than a router table is most appropriate. Hope this helps.

matt norton
10-30-2007, 7:35 AM
OK I think a router table is for me as I already have quite an extensive selection of router bits , I do a lot of mobile yacht work. So back to my second question, has anyone had any experiance with the sliding table router table from grizzly? I know there is a wide range of tables to choose from and I am looking at the setup from Lee Valley too.. Thanks, Matt

Rod Sheridan
10-30-2007, 8:29 AM
Hi Mat, since you seem to need portability, a router is the obvious tool.

The shaper is not used to full potential by most people, however it's the workhorse in many wood shops.

It is used for cutting profiles, making joints such as drawer joints, cope and stick, tenons, finger joints, locking mitre joints, tongue and groove etc.

A shaper with a power feeder will produce mouldings by the truckload, far faster and safer than any other method except for a moulder or sticker.

It also excells at pattern work such as arched components and mouldings.

It's used for grooving and rebating for cabinets and especially drawers.

The shaper has a flat, stable cast iron top, powerful, continuous duty induction motor, an excellent fence and chip collection, and a power feeder is easilly fitted.

I often run 1/2 inch shank router bits in my shaper at 10,000 RPM, they work well, although not as good as a shaper cutter.

Shapers will accept many more styles and types of tooling than a router, such as insert tooling, fixed carbide cutters and of course heads with high speed steel knives which produce the ultimate cut in solid wood. If you use HSS knives, they can be custom ground to any profile desired.

I find that the cost of a good router table and router, isn't far from the cost of an offshore 3 HP shaper, and you don't find any "the top of my shaper is sagging" threads in wood working forums.

That said, many people own and love router tables, I've just never been too enamoured of an upside down blender in a piece of particle board, as a shop machine.

regards, Rod.

Von Bickley
10-30-2007, 8:33 AM
Matt,

The Pros that I know use both.....:)

and "Welcome to The Creek"....

Steven Wilson
10-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro's use both. I'm friends with an acoustic guitar builder and he uses a bunch of routers and a fair number of shapers. I now have a shaper as part of my combo machine (sliding table is nice with a shaper) and I use it for tennon work or any operation where the sliding table comes in handy. I still prefer the router table for raised panels and curve work, which I'm set up with the proper guards, and using smaller profiles that work well at the higher rpms. Outfitting a shaper with the profiles you want, guards for working curves, jigs for holding panels, and other items quickly add up to a lot of money.

Gary Keedwell
10-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Years ago when I decided to renovate my whole house, I purchased a small Jet shaper that was on sale at a very attractive price. I used it a little on my kitchen cabinetry but to tell you the truth, I hasn't been used in over 11 years. With the advent of variable speed 3 1/2 HP routers, I really don't see any need for a shaper in a hobbyist shop.
Which reminds me that I'll have to get off my keister one of these days and put my shaper on the market.:o :)
Gary