PDA

View Full Version : Optical tricks to make table top look larger

Geoff Siemering
02-09-2004, 12:29 PM
I am beginning to design and build a single pedestal kitchen table vaguely in the Maloof style. It will be out of mahogany.

NOTE: The table will be have a round top.

Maloof does all his stuff out of 8/4 and I have plenty of 8/4 stock for the base.

However, I would like to use 4/4 for the top because I already have plenty of it on hand and I can't buy more wood because my landlord is selling the house I'm living in in about 6 months and it is almost certain I will have to move (and probably lose most of my shop capability in the process). I don't want to transport more lumber.

Does anyone have hints on how to make a 4/4 top look thicker? I was thinking that heavily rounding the bottom edge of the top would confuse the eye and possibly make the edge look larger. If there is no defined lower edge the overall thickness would be somewhat indeterminate and would lead the eye to the 8/4 support arms and base.

Any opinions?

Geoff

Michael Ballent
02-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I think that you could try adding breadboard ends that are 8/4 and glue on some 4/4 stock onto the sides to make the top appear to be thicker... Or plywood and dress the edges with thicker stock... Just a thought.

-Michael

Chris Padilla
02-09-2004, 1:02 PM
One trick a guy posted here was to make the 4/4 top longer and wider than needed. Focusing on just the end-grain end, he cut off a piece, and then reglued to the end of the top. However, the trick was to slighly shift the cut-off piece to make it look like it was an 8/4 piece--i.e. look like the grain was continuous. It was a neat and subtle trick.

He did this all around the table (mitered the pieces) and I think it was quite effective.