PDA

View Full Version : My daughter the budding woodworker.

Joe Mioux
10-29-2007, 8:04 PM
I am not much of a cordless type but i do enjoy them, especially as a spectator.

Jennifer loves to whittle with my chisels and a couple of hand planes.

today she and I were in my garage and she kept bugging me to chisel on some wood, so I gave in.

She had a great time out there and I enjoyed watching her.

Bob Noles
10-29-2007, 8:17 PM
Joe,

Would you classify her as a chip off the old block? :D :D

She looks like she is having a blast and glad to see those safety glasses on those precious eyes.

Gary Herrmann
10-29-2007, 8:29 PM
Very cool, Joe. Looks like a good time.

Jude Kingery
10-29-2007, 8:45 PM
Joe - best to you and your daughter, Jennifer! My Dad gave me a life-long love of working with wood and bless you for giving your daughter such an opportunity as well. Glad you and she had such fun! Jude

Mark Stutz
10-29-2007, 9:57 PM
Looks like the start of a pretty nice mortice! Sound like a fun day in the shop.

Mark

Dave Ray
10-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Joe, some of your best memories as she grows up will be the precious time you and her spent putsing around together in your shop. She will grow up to fast, they all do, time just flies by. Thanks for sharing the pic's and bringing back some very good memories.

Peter Tremblay
10-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Thats wonderful.

I have to admit that my first thought was something like..."Oh dear, that's going to get expensive fast when she starts wanting tools like dad."

But I can't say enough how wonderful it is to see this, my best memories of my father was when he taught me how to be handy around the house and how to use tools.

Peter

Matt Meiser
10-29-2007, 11:10 PM
I have to admit that my first thought was something like..."Oh dear, that's going to get expensive fast when she starts wanting tools like dad."

Peter, you've got it all wrong, how can Mrs. Mioux say no when Joe and Jennifer BOTH want that new tool?

I love when my daughter comes out to the shop, though she is quite a bit younger and not ready to do much on her own yet.

Jim Becker
10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Daughters in the shop are a wonderful thing!

Denny Rice
10-29-2007, 11:37 PM
I think it's great in this day and age when your daughter would pick spending time with dad in the woodshop instead of texting someone with a cell phone or playing video games. This is where I think our schools are doing this generation a dis-service by not allowing kids to expierence "working with their hands." I cannot believe the amount of kids that are interested in woodworking, metal working, ect and have no real outlet for it. I am just glad shop class was around when I was a kid, some of my best teachers were vo-ed teachers.:)

James Davis
10-30-2007, 7:35 AM
Some of the best times in the shop are the ones like you pictured. My daughter used to dothe same thing. She is now 21 and just three weeks ago was in here doing just that. I have I don't know how many pioeces of wood put away that have "Ashley Tracks" on them from when she would play around with chisels. Do yourself a favor and always have a scrap that she can play on.

James Davis

Joe Mioux
10-30-2007, 8:50 AM
Jennifer wants to cut a through mortise. She actually made good progress last night. She is 3/4 of the way through the wood. It took her about a half hour.

I let her use my Marples rather than the better set i have. Unfortunately, these chisels should have and could have been sharper. So today, I will put a fresh edge.

This might be a little project for her. Maybe make a foot stool or something.

thanks for the comments.

joe

David Tiell
10-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Joe,
I'm jealous. The closest I can get a daughter to my shop is my female sheepdog loves to come down to the basement and just lay around while I'm working in the shop down there. I don't like her down there because I worry about her hearing and her long hair acts just like a huge dustmop, so I end up with shavings all over the house. Of course, she is the closest thing I have to a kid, so I guess I'll just have to stay jealous.

Enjoy the time together!

Greg Cole
10-30-2007, 1:10 PM
Hey Joe,
That's cool! I have a 6 year old boy who does any & everything that I do (or at least 90%). He's never been told that there is something he can't do, just things he needs to learn and some things he'll need my help doing. I don't put him in danger nor do I allow himself to put himself in that position either.
Also I have some rather unique artwork on numerous flat spots like my bench, miter saw extensions etc.... nice collages of dinosaurs, volcano's, pictures of the house, our dog etc etc etc.....
At one point in time I was almost crabby about having him draw on everything.... then I thought to myself if I had to build a new shop... first thing I'd do is have him help "decorate". So on that thought, I've put a coat of wipe on poly on alot of his art so I can look at it & smile for years to come... not too mention have a pile of boards with a nail he pounded in, or a ramp he made for his toy motorcycles etc....

Cheers,
Greg

Peter Tremblay
10-30-2007, 8:03 PM
Peter, you've got it all wrong, how can Mrs. Mioux say no when Joe and Jennifer BOTH want that new tool?

Ha Ha!:D
Thats so true...I hadn't thought about it from that perspective:rolleyes:

Just goes to show I have neither kids nor a wife.

Peter

Joe Mioux
10-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey Joe,
That's cool! I have a 6 year old boy who does any & everything that I do (or at least 90%). He's never been told that there is something he can't do, just things he needs to learn and some things he'll need my help doing. I don't put him in danger nor do I allow himself to put himself in that position either.
Also I have some rather unique artwork on numerous flat spots like my bench, miter saw extensions etc.... nice collages of dinosaurs, volcano's, pictures of the house, our dog etc etc etc.....
At one point in time I was almost crabby about having him draw on everything.... then I thought to myself if I had to build a new shop... first thing I'd do is have him help "decorate". So on that thought, I've put a coat of wipe on poly on alot of his art so I can look at it & smile for years to come... not too mention have a pile of boards with a nail he pounded in, or a ramp he made for his toy motorcycles etc....

Cheers,
Greg

Greg, I learned this lesson back when sons Michael and Nicholas were 6 and 4.... ten years ago.

I was building them a wooden swing set and combination slide/look out tower/firemen's pole thing. They were bugging me and I was getting angry with them interupting.

My neighbors were retired farmers who moved into town, prior to us moving there. The husband heard me losing my patience with the kids. A day later he was outside and we started talking about the kids wanting to "help", he told me "Joe, they wouldn't be kids if they weren't doing what they were doing, (getting in the way, etc)." From that point on, I took a whole new philosophy of raising kids. Let them get in the way. Let them experiment and mess up.

This has translated into to my woodworking hobby. I go out in the garage and start a project and whenever the kids come out I sometimes continue my project, ask them to help me or just stop sit back, turn on the radio and watch the kids roller blade, ride bikes, toss a ball, or whatever. It's good.

Ha Ha!:D
Thats so true...I hadn't thought about it from that perspective:rolleyes:

Just goes to show I have neither kids nor a wife.

Peter

And now Nicholas sees Jennifer out in the garage this evening and wants in on the fun! I can see some woodworking tools this christmas (not for me of course) but for the children!

joe

Peter Tremblay
10-31-2007, 3:52 PM
And now Nicholas sees Jennifer out in the garage this evening and wants in on the fun! I can see some woodworking tools this christmas (not for me of course) but for the children!

I can see it now...:rolleyes:

But dear...that shiny, new, very expensive tool is for the kids! Honest, I wouldn't ask if it weren't for them. :D

Peter

Randal Stevenson
11-01-2007, 1:01 PM
I let her use my Marples rather than the better set i have. Unfortunately, these chisels should have and could have been sharper. So today, I will put a fresh edge.

This might be a little project for her.
thanks for the comments.

joe

You should teach her to sharpen. Let her learn so when she is working on something and it starts to get dull, she can fix it and get back to it.